Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2011, 08:28 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,387,302 times

Advertisements

I'm annoyed that my best GUY friend post "every second" on his facebook, complaining about life. Some status are good, most of them are annoying. Not just that, his life is full of drama. Sometimes he asked for me. Sometimes they come to him. I'm glad I'm not dating him NOR am a bit least interested in him! I'm not talking bad about him. This is just an example of what I don't want in a guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 10:38 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,971,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I'm annoyed that my best GUY friend post "every second" on his facebook, complaining about life. Some status are good, most of them are annoying. Not just that, his life is full of drama. Sometimes he asked for me. Sometimes they come to him. I'm glad I'm not dating him NOR am a bit least interested in him! I'm not talking bad about him. This is just an example of what I don't want in a guy.
You can place him on ignore if his posts continue to bother you ...

Old 10-19-2011, 10:45 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,818,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
That's one of the reasons I don't like FB. I have had a couple of friends who posted every, single detail of their life on their page. It just seems some people have a real lack of post control I guess you can informally or formally ignore. The whole FB thing has always annoyed me though.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:11 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,831,883 times
One small peeve, and one MAJOR peeve (sorry people, this may get ugly):

1. When I go to get a haircut, I have no preference one way or the other about whether the female barber (I'm not sure if 'barber' is the correct term for a female haircutter? There's certainly no styling going on, so I would hesitate using the title 'stylist') chooses to make conversation. However, if they do choose to make conversation, they ALWAYS start talking when the electric clippers are right in front of my ear so I can't a hear a damn thing. I hate when I end up saying "what?" like 12 times because of inopportune timing of the conversation starter.

2. (Preface) I make a decent salary, and I daresay I make a lot more than a lot of my former classmates (I'm a little over 2 years graduated now). Despite my decent salary (about 10% above median income for my area, about 10% below median income for my field in my area) massive student loan payments for my horrendously overpriced in state college education are really making things difficult financially. As many here know, if I were responsible for only my own loans I'd be making it easy, but I pay the loans that my mother took for my education for which I am not legally obligated to repay (she made too much money for me to get many grants or scholarships but never really tried to help with costs in any way).

Anyway, I've tightened my belt and scrimped as much as possible everywhere in my budget. If everything goes to plan, I'm in a good position to save a few hundred per month. Now here's where the REAL peeve comes in. Every month that extremely small savings portion of my budget has been gobbled up by one-time expenses. I faced a financial crisis a couple months ago with my car completely cleaning out my entire savings account, and now I'm finding it impossibly difficult to get my financial cushion back. Every month it's something absolutely unavoidable: down payment on a new (used) car, death in the family so I had to fly back home last minute, this month I have to purchase a plane ticket for my Xmas visit and purchase new contacts, next month I can guarantee something will come up that will eat my savings again. It feels like even though I'm privileged enough to have a decent salary in these hard economic times, I STILL can't win. When 30 years of massive debt is weighing on my shoulders and it's all student loans (as opposed to a mortgage or some other type of investment) that makes it incredibly stressful to not even be able to throw a couple hundred more dollars at it every month. So much for starting a life, buying a house, getting married, etc. Maybe I'll try when I'm 50.

I apologize if this rant is insensitive to those who are worse off than I am financially. Even though I am employed and compensated decently, I really do know what it's like to barely scrape by with no relief in sight. A lot of days it really does weigh heavily on me. While I have no doubt that there are so many that aren't as lucky as I am, don't feel to bitter about us. Just because we make a good living doesn't mean we're not struggling too.

Sorry again. Rant over. I feel better now

Old 10-19-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post

1. When I go to get a haircut, I have no preference one way or the other about whether the female barber (I'm not sure if 'barber' is the correct term for a female haircutter? There's certainly no styling going on, so I would hesitate using the title 'stylist') chooses to make conversation. However, if they do choose to make conversation, they ALWAYS start talking when the electric clippers are right in front of my ear so I can't a hear a damn thing. I hate when I end up saying "what?" like 12 times because of inopportune timing of the conversation starter.

2. (Preface) I make a decent salary, and I daresay I make a lot more than a lot of my former classmates (I'm a little over 2 years graduated now). Despite my decent salary (about 10% above median income for my area, about 10% below median income for my field in my area) massive student loan payments for my horrendously overpriced in state college education are really making things difficult financially. As many here know, if I were responsible for only my own loans I'd be making it easy, but I pay the loans that my mother took for my education for which I am not legally obligated to repay (she made too much money for me to get many grants or scholarships but never really tried to help with costs in any way).

Anyway, I've tightened my belt and scrimped as much as possible everywhere in my budget. If everything goes to plan, I'm in a good position to save a few hundred per month. Now here's where the REAL peeve comes in. Every month that extremely small savings portion of my budget has been gobbled up by one-time expenses. I faced a financial crisis a couple months ago with my car completely cleaning out my entire savings account, and now I'm finding it impossibly difficult to get my financial cushion back. Every month it's something absolutely unavoidable: down payment on a new (used) car, death in the family so I had to fly back home last minute, this month I have to purchase a plane ticket for my Xmas visit and purchase new contacts, next month I can guarantee something will come up that will eat my savings again. It feels like even though I'm privileged enough to have a decent salary in these hard economic times, I STILL can't win. When 30 years of massive debt is weighing on my shoulders and it's all student loans (as opposed to a mortgage or some other type of investment) that makes it incredibly stressful to not even be able to throw a couple hundred more dollars at it every month. So much for starting a life, buying a house, getting married, etc. Maybe I'll try when I'm 50.

I apologize if this rant is insensitive to those who are worse off than I am financially. Even though I am employed and compensated decently, I really do know what it's like to barely scrape by with no relief in sight. A lot of days it really does weigh heavily on me. While I have no doubt that there are so many that aren't as lucky as I am, don't feel to bitter about us. Just because we make a good living doesn't mean we're not struggling too.

We are here to support and listen to eachother. I hope you get a break soon.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
You can place him on ignore if his posts continue to bother you ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by taigagirl View Post
That's one of the reasons I don't like FB. I have had a couple of friends who posted every, single detail of their life on their page. It just seems some people have a real lack of post control I guess you can informally or formally ignore. The whole FB thing has always annoyed me though.
I can and I usually do it anyway. Perhaps I'll just let him know what I think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfunkle524 View Post

Sorry to hear about that. You're doing a good job at saving (better than me), so I think you are doing fine.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 AM

peeved at a friend right now. -_-

Old 10-21-2011, 08:27 AM

5,697 posts, read 19,097,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Yeah ... That is a peeve however ...

I always hated group work because I would have difficulties following the discussions due to my hearing impairment so I always struggled with knowing what's going on and that would affect my contributing. I always did my fair share of the work but contributing ideas was a struggle in a group surrounding (especially when other groups are in the background).
Naw, there is a difference between someone that cannot hear vs someone that has been assigned to do a portion and don't do it. A couple of years ago I worked with this woman that was complete drain. The first day she had a ton of excuses. Her internet wasn't working, her computer had a problem, her child was sick, she worked late. OMG, it was endless. By the end of the 6 week period, I think this woman maybe contributed 2 sentences to the over all report that was due. In each group there are the people that talk the most or want to lead, that is fine everyone has a role but when you don't do your part, then its a major peeve.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Naw, there is a difference between someone that cannot hear vs someone that has been assigned to do a portion and don't do it. A couple of years ago I worked with this woman that was complete drain. The first day she had a ton of excuses. Her internet wasn't working, her computer had a problem, her child was sick, she worked late. OMG, it was endless. By the end of the 6 week period, I think this woman maybe contributed 2 sentences to the over all report that was due. In each group there are the people that talk the most or want to lead, that is fine everyone has a role but when you don't do your part, then its a major peeve.
Chatteress, I believe you would always do your fair share. Falling water...people who expect to coast along the back of other's hard work, and get the same mark for contributing zilch, make me see red. The last year I was in school, (we were a small group) the prof's and instructors would choose the groups. After the first semester, we expressed our desire to form our own groups, and some of us just refused to work with the slackers. They wound up in their own little group. Sometimes they finished projects, and sometimes they didn't. Their lack of work ethic made them well suited to each other.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,430,601 times
Finding out a friend of yours is homophobic...after telling them you're gay.

Honestly I thought he already knew I was gay so I told him about my girlfriend and then he said "Oh...." and hung up.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics