Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,823,834 times

Advertisements

1. School buses that feel the need to stop every 10 feet on arterial streets. Seriously? It takes me and many many other motorists 25 minutes to cover 1.5 miles (my apartment to the highway) just because your route can't be a single block north or south? There are drivers that disregard the bus' stop sign every morning which is INCREDIBLY dangerous for any kids that might decide to cross the street. And yet that bus putters along a major street every morning causing mass havoc and a huge traffic jam.

2. My neighbor who leaves every morning at 5am has a belt slipping in his car on cold mornings. It's so ****in loud and screech-ey that it hurts my ears when I'm laying in bed . . . inside . . . with all the windows closed. . . He wakes up my entire building every morning and probably most of the houses in a 3 block radius. When I asked him what was wrong (I know what's wrong with the car, I just wanted him to know that we all hear it EVERY morning) he just said "sorry brah, something's squeaking". No sh*t Sherlock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2011, 11:32 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,413,564 times
Begin rant.

Today, for the second time, a deaf man was on the train begging for money, playing the pity card. I hate this so much cause every time people pull that kind of BS, it makes it harder for disabled people to get a real job because the employers hiring people think of those beggars when they look at a disabled candidate and think that's all we can amount to. If you're deaf you're eligible for SSI, food stamps, and Section 8 Housing. If you need income, there are ways to get it that don't involve sending a negative image about deaf people to the hearing world. Now most hearing people on the train will have one idea of deafness--that man, and all the other people like him who use deafness to play on people's pity.

Add to that: why in the world would he come up to me, of all people? I'm blind and I was wearing a sweatshirt with the name of a school for the deaf prominently displayed on it. I was chatting with my friend in sign language. In other words, from his perspective, I was deaf-blind, or "more disabled" than he is. (And I did used to be deaf-blind--which is why I'm at a school for the deaf, so I can work with deaf-blind people.) Why would he be coming up to me for money? By his logic, shouldn't I be in more need than him? The last time this happened, I was chatting in sign language with my girlfriend who uses a wheelchair. What is going through these people's heads that they think somehow they can beg people that had to work just as hard, if not harder, to get to where they are? If he has a hard time making it deaf, what makes him think blind people and wheelchair users have it any easier??

Sorry but this drives me nuts because the Deaf community will go on all day about how Deaf people aren't disabled and it's their identity and so on--which I completely agree with! But then some members of the Deaf community go and use their deafness to get money from strangers? So hypocritical I don't even know where to begin. Ugh. This whole thing just pisses me off.

End rant.

Last edited by nimchimpsky; 11-01-2011 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-02-2011, 12:28 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,943,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Begin rant.

Today, for the second time, a deaf man was on the train begging for money, playing the pity card. I hate this so much cause every time people pull that kind of BS, it makes it harder for disabled people to get a real job because the employers hiring people think of those beggars when they look at a disabled candidate and think that's all we can amount to. If you're deaf you're eligible for SSI, food stamps, and Section 8 Housing. If you need income, there are ways to get it that don't involve sending a negative image about deaf people to the hearing world. Now most hearing people on the train will have one idea of deafness--that man, and all the other people like him who use deafness to play on people's pity.

Add to that: why in the world would he come up to me, of all people? I'm blind and I was wearing a sweatshirt with the name of a school for the deaf prominently displayed on it. I was chatting with my friend in sign language. In other words, from his perspective, I was deaf-blind, or "more disabled" than he is. (And I did used to be deaf-blind--which is why I'm at a school for the deaf, so I can work with deaf-blind people.) Why would he be coming up to me for money? By his logic, shouldn't I be in more need than him? The last time this happened, I was chatting in sign language with my girlfriend who uses a wheelchair. What is going through these people's heads that they think somehow they can beg people that had to work just as hard, if not harder, to get to where they are? If he has a hard time making it deaf, what makes him think blind people and wheelchair users have it any easier??

Sorry but this drives me nuts because the Deaf community will go on all day about how Deaf people aren't disabled and it's their identity and so on--which I completely agree with! But then some members of the Deaf community go and use their deafness to get money from strangers? So hypocritical I don't even know where to begin. Ugh. This whole thing just pisses me off.

End rant.
I feel your frustration ... Unfortunately, some folks don't have scruples and try to game people for money while others may have legitimate need. Keep in mind that many folks out there on the streets begging often have mental illnesses and do not even know how to help themselves.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:27 AM

3,184 posts, read 4,823,834 times
I found out last night that my credit score TANKED and the annual credit report website is too glitchy to give me my free credit report so I can check it

I pay all my bills on time and in full. I even pay other people's bills (my Mom's) on time, in full with my own hard-earned money. Now my credit score is destroyed thanks to a bill I NEVER RECEIVED. The first I heard about it was from a debt collection agency. What's even worse is that it was a utility bill from an address I moved away from many months ago. The SAME company opened a new account for me when I moved, so they had all my updated contact info and they still neglected to send me the bill from the old account (which was somehow 60 bucks for 2 days of electricity ).

So now, thanks to the utility company's utter ineptitude, my credit score is terrible and that will likely have terrible consequences for years to come. Now my financial future sucks, despite all the hard work I've done to keep my credit history spotless. I wonder just how many people idiotic companies like this have ruined over the years. It really peeves me that this can happen.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:21 PM

213 posts, read 1,104,035 times
Default Scraping fork or silverware with your teeth

This drives me absolutely crazy when people do this. They will be eating and when they lift their fork or other utensil to their mouth they scrap their teeth on the fork/untensil and it makes that horrible, horrible sound. It is worse that nails on a chalkboard to me. It sounds bad and is just plain bad manners/rude IMO.

The right/polite way to eat something off of your fork/utensil is to USE your LIPS. NOT your TEETH. Teeth are for chewing.

Anybody else hate this? Or am I just crazy?

I've also noticed that I don't like listening to people eat. Especially if it's crunchy or if they just make weird noises when eating. So nasty.

And I'm sure I may make an occasional noise while eating, but I have noticed that other people seem to make a lot of unnecessary noise.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 PM

3,522 posts, read 6,068,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rift View Post
This drives me absolutely crazy when people do this. They will be eating and when they lift their fork or other utensil to their mouth they scrap their teeth on the fork/untensil and it makes that horrible, horrible sound. It is worse that nails on a chalkboard to me. It sounds bad and is just plain bad manners/rude IMO.

The right/polite way to eat something off of your fork/utensil is to USE your LIPS. NOT your TEETH. Teeth are for chewing.

Anybody else hate this? Or am I just crazy?

I've also noticed that I don't like listening to people eat. Especially if it's crunchy or if they just make weird noises when eating. So nasty.

And I'm sure I may make an occasional noise while eating, but I have noticed that other people seem to make a lot of unnecessary noise.
Your not crazy its annoying
I also cant STAND old people when their dentures are loose
they talk and make this god awful noise.
Have some pride get some cement for those teeth!

Sorry if I offended anyone its just a peeve
when I am old for dentures I am going to cement my teeth in solid
instead of making that awful chattering noise.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:01 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,380,955 times
I wanna quit my job and find another job. -_-

Old 11-04-2011, 10:05 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,811,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianRice View Post
I wanna quit my job and find another job. -_-
So the brat's good behaviour did not last...so sorry to hear that. Are there lots of positions available in your field right now AR??

Old 11-04-2011, 06:56 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,255,090 times
I was walking through a parking lot and 2 women were laughing and talking and one of them was eating something and dropped her plastic fork, she just looks down at it and continues to walk and talk, she looked over at me and knew that I saw her just walk away from her litter.

I felt an urge to go over to her and scream PICK UP YOUR DAMN ****!!!!!

I wanted to do this in a fashion that would have made Shirley McClain in Terms of Endearment look lackadaisical.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:36 PM

7,507 posts, read 4,380,955 times
Just because you have authority over us don't mean you can go around acting like you are god.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics