U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 11-12-2011, 07:23 AM

7,746 posts, read 1,084,219 times
I'm on a roll here, more peeves! Why do women have memories like elephants? I
remember my first wife, just before we split, running off 20 years of my offences
against her (as she saw it). Judy is the same, luckily, my offences with her are much
less. But, she can still catch me out. A while ago, during a conversation, she asked me,
with an innocent voice if I happened to remember what my first wife was wearing the
night I met her in 1973. "Oh yes, a white top, black skirt, platform shoes with cork soles,
a pageboy haircut, and a little hairslide." Well, she was only 17. I did'nt realise I'd stumbled
into a trap. "What was I wearing David?". "Easy my dove, a white spotted two piece suit, with black spots" I replied confidently. "No, David, that's wrong, I wore that outfit on our
first date, let me know when you remember." Well, every so often, when she is irritated
with me she'll say "remembered yet?" Should have seen it coming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 11-12-2011, 07:43 AM

10,455 posts, read 4,557,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
remember my first wife, just before we split, running off 20 years of my offences
against her (as she saw it). Judy is the same, luckily, my offences with her are much
less. But, she can still catch me out. A while ago, during a conversation, she asked me,
with an innocent voice if I happened to remember what my first wife was wearing the
night I met her in 1973. "Oh yes, a white top, black skirt, platform shoes with cork soles,
a pageboy haircut, and a little hairslide." Well, she was only 17. I did'nt realise I'd stumbled
into a trap. "What was I wearing David?". "Easy my dove, a white spotted two piece suit, with black spots" I replied confidently. "No, David, that's wrong, I wore that outfit on our
first date, let me know when you remember." Well, every so often, when she is irritated
That is so obnoxious. I don't even know the right word for it...manipulative? Passive aggressive? In any case, it's obnoxious.

Unread 11-12-2011, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That's unfortunate .... Apparently people were not raised to have common courtesy or respect towards others, especially those who are less able-bodied than they are. Sad state our society is when we lack compassion towards those who have less.
That's exactly it though. I'm not even talking about less able-bodied. I'm a little less able-bodied. I understand if people don't always give up their seat to me cause they don't realize how hard it is to keep your balance on a moving train blind. They figure that I can stand cause there's nothing wrong with my legs, just my eyes. So I can relate to that logic.

But this is what I really don't understand. My girlfriend is quadriplegic. She uses a power wheelchair. There's no debate there. She is full on disabled. If she wants her wallet, I have to get it for her. If she wants to adjust her hat, I have to adjust it for her. I don't mind at all, but I'm just saying that to show just how disabled she is. And yet people still treat her as negligibly disabled, as if she was "just deaf" or something. I have to go places with her because she can't press the buttons for the elevators and doors, and most of the time they don't work anyway. So I have to get the door for her. Again, I don't mind, but my point is she is really disabled and people still ignore us. People rarely get the door for us, rarely if ever give up a seat so I can hold onto her since she can't really hold onto the pole. I'm not stable enough to hold onto her standing so I need to sit down so I can make us both more stable.

I just don't understand why people don't go into "who needs it the most" mode when they see someone who obviously does need it more--not even just a little bit--but a lot.

Unread 11-12-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
The English used to be known all over the world for being polite, with good manners. No
more. Older people are still polite in the main, but not young people. I was brought up to
always be polite. It was instilled in us as children. I used to go errands for elderly neighbours,
and always told by my father to never accept payment for doing so, to always give my seat
on the bus to a lady, or elderly people. Always say please and thankyou. Went out the
window years ago. Young English children I find are not taught good manners anymore.
I know it's a stereotype and it's not always true, but I have an English professor and he is really polite, lol. The way he speaks and writes is so polite too, lol. I love his class because he is so considerate about my needs. On several occasions, he's switched watching videos for homework to a class activity because he knows how hard it is for me to get an interpreter outside class, let alone one that knows British Sign Language. (This class is about British Sign Language, so everything is in BSL.)

On the other hand, I have another professor who is American and she constantly gives us assignments at the last minute that require an interpreter or that need to be brailled because I can't read it on the computer. At least they're in American Sign Language (ASL) so it's easier to get an interpreter, but the disability office needs at least 5 days' notice to get interpreters. So I've been stuck asking friends to interpret the videos and readings for me. It's really not fair to burden them with that, especially when people get paid to do the same thing and when it's so much easier to just let the disability office braille the reading since I can read it much faster that way.

I know, I know. Totally stereotyping, but in this particular case, it's so true. At least to break the stereotype, I have another American professor who is really considerate about my needs to and has modified assignments on multiple occasions when it involved doing visual things like watching a video or making a chart based on graphics. So I guess not all Americans are rude and obnoxious, lol!

Unread 11-12-2011, 08:11 AM

7,746 posts, read 1,084,219 times
Naw, Judy's not passive/aggressive. You have to know the English, and how we say and
do things. It's always tongue in cheek. It's still true about women though. They forget
nothing. I have trouble remembering what I did last week.

Unread 11-12-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Naw, Judy's not passive/aggressive. You have to know the English, and how we say and
do things. It's always tongue in cheek. It's still true about women though. They forget
nothing. I have trouble remembering what I did last week.
Oh I see. Sorry, I missed the tongue-in-cheek bit.

I have trouble remembering what I did last week and I am a woman! Lol.

Unread 11-12-2011, 10:52 AM

37,226 posts, read 10,301,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know it's a stereotype and it's not always true, but I have an English professor and he is really polite, lol. The way he speaks and writes is so polite too, lol. I love his class because he is so considerate about my needs. On several occasions, he's switched watching videos for homework to a class activity because he knows how hard it is for me to get an interpreter outside class, let alone one that knows British Sign Language. (This class is about British Sign Language, so everything is in BSL.)

On the other hand, I have another professor who is American and she constantly gives us assignments at the last minute that require an interpreter or that need to be brailled because I can't read it on the computer. At least they're in American Sign Language (ASL) so it's easier to get an interpreter, but the disability office needs at least 5 days' notice to get interpreters. So I've been stuck asking friends to interpret the videos and readings for me. It's really not fair to burden them with that, especially when people get paid to do the same thing and when it's so much easier to just let the disability office braille the reading since I can read it much faster that way.

I know, I know. Totally stereotyping, but in this particular case, it's so true. At least to break the stereotype, I have another American professor who is really considerate about my needs to and has modified assignments on multiple occasions when it involved doing visual things like watching a video or making a chart based on graphics. So I guess not all Americans are rude and obnoxious, lol!
Regarding the instructor who fails to give adequate notices of assignments, I would have the disability office speak with her as she is creating an accessibility dilemma for you in not allowing you enough time to get the stuff translated.

Unread 11-12-2011, 11:50 AM

6,441 posts, read 1,657,942 times
That's kinda funny, English Dave. But to use your incorrect answer on her first meet outfit as leverage, Judy has to assume that your memory of your first wife's outfit is correct. Does she remember what you were wearing?

Quote:

Unread 11-12-2011, 11:56 AM

37,226 posts, read 10,301,482 times
Quote:
Yikes ... That is just plain wrong of her! Maybe when you guys met, you were not expecting to get married so you may not have been paying close attention to what she was wearing ... Geez ....

Oh ... I just noticed something in your post .... You met your first wife the year I was born LOL!

Unread 11-12-2011, 04:45 PM

7,371 posts, read 2,805,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Regarding the instructor who fails to give adequate notices of assignments, I would have the disability office speak with her as she is creating an accessibility dilemma for you in not allowing you enough time to get the stuff translated.
Agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics