Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:00 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times

Advertisements

Beautiful day here in New England.... perfect week to start harvesting the garlic.... wonderful arroma

Today's Question(s):

What is one thing in your home that really, really needs to be replaced ? most of the windows.... they are old and a candle would flicker from the drafts

Bonus Question:

What was the last thing you had to sit at home to wait for ? dishwasher repair man a couple weeks ago

Extra Credit Question:

What was the last thing you had inspected ? Hilda... (the CRV)

Just for Fun:

What kind of stuff do you have on the top of your refrigerator ? surprising enough... with the new cabinets in... the cupboard above the icebox leaves no room to put anything atop of it... and thats a good thing

Today in History:
1181 - Supernova seen in Cassiopia
1821 - 1st edition of Saturday Evening Post (publishes until 1969)
1862 - U.S. government collects its 1st income tax - bast*rds
1929 - Jones Beach in New York opens
1956 - Elvis Presley releases "Hound Dog"
1994 - Truck carrying millions of bees overturns on New York parkway - Happens almost every year - truckload could be more than 20 million bees....

Today is:
National Lasagne Day
National Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Day
National Backgammon Day - anyone want to 'play'..?
Coast Guard Day
Hooray for Kids Day - waiting any moment to be a Grampie

good questions Karla with a Wink
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
Today's Question(s):

What is one thing in your home that really, really needs to be replaced ?

Outside trim. Some of it is pretty bad after 22 years.

Bonus Question:

What was the last thing you had to sit at home to wait for ?

Guys that came to redo the one piece tub/shower. Not very prompt.

Extra Credit Question:

What was the last thing you had inspected ?

My left eye. Doc says no permanent scarring from the Shingles. Woo Hoo!!!

Just for Fun:

What kind of stuff do you have on the top of your refrigerator ?

A big bowl that holds plastic bags (like Target, etc). bag clips, and chips if we have any.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:26 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,115 times
Today's Question(s):

What is one thing in your home that really, really needs to be replaced ? Windows

Bonus Question:

What was the last thing you had to sit at home to wait for ? contractor

Extra Credit Question:

What was the last thing you had inspected ? Welded parts

Just for Fun:

What kind of stuff do you have on the top of your refrigerator ? bananas

Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IOPbaby View Post
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOSIE!!!
Thank you sweetness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Toosie, I know somebody who fixes ovens, he also fixes cars, TVs, airplanes, and he's also a part-time dentist, and a part-time veterenarian, he fixes dogs... His name is Earl.
Ummm...thanks but no thanks, Mike LOL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
Hooray for Kids Day - waiting any moment to be a Grampie
Wowee Congrats!(a bit early) Is this your first grandbaby?

Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Quote:
1994 - Truck carrying millions of bees overturns on New York parkway - Happens almost every year - truckload could be more than 20 million bees....

Hey soon-to-be-Grampie, what happens to those bees?
I mean, I know some of them must get killed...but for the ones that don't, do they find another hive? Do they make another hive? Only if the queen lives?

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM

wow... tons of responses today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
Good Morning all! Just got the news that they have moved up son's deployment date Having to leave Friday instead of Saturday - keep us posted please

1994 - Truck carrying millions of bees overturns on New York parkway -And does Garlic Guy have an alibi???
I can't take the blame for this one... maybe the truck swerved when he saw you driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
1994 - Truck carrying millions of bees overturns on New York parkway I remember this report! Wonder if that's when Garlic Guy started keeping bees?
interesting... I think I started in 1992.. Up here in Maine I'm on the 'call' list of anything like this happens so as to help remove them to keep everyone safe and sound.. they are not happy when things like that happen

keep smiling..!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Wowee Congrats!(a bit early) Is this your first grandbaby?
Yes little Emily will be my first... looks like she won't arrive today on her due date.... maybe tomorrow..?

Old 08-04-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
interesting... I think I started in 1992.. Up here in Maine I'm on the 'call' list of anything like this happens so as to help remove them to keep everyone safe and sound.. they are not happy when things like that happen

keep smiling..!!

Yes little Emily will be my first... looks like she won't arrive today on her due date.... maybe tomorrow..?
Ya well, we Leos can be stubborn. Emily is one of my all time favorite girl names - she's destined for greatness!

So, back to the bees...I thought you'd need bee boxes and their own queen to lure them back into the combs or whatever they're called? How do you collect them all? Do you have a funny suit to wear? We should start a GG bee thread for all our questions!

Old 08-04-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Hey soon-to-be-Grampie, what happens to those bees?
I mean, I know some of them must get killed...but for the ones that don't, do they find another hive? Do they make another hive? Only if the queen lives?

Inquiring minds want to know!
good question...in those situtations Priority #1 is to keep the public safe so usually they are sprayed with soapy water which kills them. The nice thing about soap and water is that they die pretty quick and also local bees from nearby hives who might be attracted to the honey will not return to their hives with pesticides if that was used instead of soap. If the accident happened in an area where the public was less in danger, the hives can be uprighted and frames reinstalled and hopefully they will go back to normal (somewhat). It takes a while and things will calm down as the sun goes down and they find a home. You can imagine the cloud of bees wondering where their 'home' is and they will probably accept any hive at that point. Its a sticky mess with broken frames of honey dripping all over. I haven't dealt with a situtation like .. only have a few times where bears have broken into a hive and made a mess of things. Same problem... on a much smaller scale.

Class dismissed

Old 08-04-2009, 03:19 PM

2,514 posts, read 4,954,287 times
Thanks GG! I could tell Toosie was a tad worried 'bout some getting to her birthday cake by mistake. But not me, nope!
I'm not askeerd of them there bees! The wasps, hornets & yellowjackets? Now that's another ballgame.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:24 PM

You're right, Pipers - Mostly I was worried about my cake...but also, was worried/interested about the bees. Looks like GG is done answering questions for the day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics