Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 10:16 PM

17,833 posts, read 33,029,677 times

Advertisements

lol ok I guess the "post today question option" seemed like a better choice for all of our late nighters !!
So
Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday
The weather "gurus" are calling for another toasty day with a little rain thrown in . lol I had to chuckle there is a possible tropical depression like a "bazillion" miles to the east of us, well I guess since this years Hurricane season has been quiet they are all excited, they are even doing the "breaking news tonight at 11 " thingys

Well I am getting the " mom we need to go out soon" so I better get typing with

Today's Question(s):

Now that school is starting up I though it would be fun to find out

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?

Bonus Question:

This was mentioned in one of our answers and I thought "what a perfect idea so

What was the last thing that would of had you saying

"See it is the little things that are most amusing"

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ?

Think you could still make them ?

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

How many here still have any vinyl records ?

Today in History:
1851 - Isaac Singer of New York City patented the double-treadle sewing machine on this day. Although a sewing machine had already been patented, Singer’s sewing machine was revolutionary, having a double treadle
1856 - Anthony Fass patents the accordion
1865 - Joseph Lister became the first doctor to use disinfectant during surgery. Hmm does that name ring a ball
1879 - The first National Archery Association tournament began in Chicago, IL

Word of the Day:
plenipotentiary\plen-uh-puh-TEN-shee-air-ee; -shuh-ree\ , adjective:
1. Containing or conferring full power; invested with full power; as, "plenipotentiary license; plenipotentiary ministers."
noun:
1. A person invested with full power to transact any busines

Today is:
Julliene Fries Day
Sewing Machine Day
Baseball Fans Day
Truck Driver Day
National Vinyl Record Day

OOO the newsguy just said we are suppose to have lots of shooting starts tonight oh yeah right after they brought up the tropics

I am going to go take a look

See you all in the Am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 10:31 PM

7,487 posts, read 7,972,740 times
Alright...I got in first

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ?
While I hated when my mom would take me shopping for school clothes, I liked shopping for school supplies. Several places I grew up we lived out of town or in a different town than where the school was. So I looked forward to seeing my classmates

Bonus Question:

Probably when a friend of mine showed up to work with a hangover. Several of us had a great deal of enjoyment giving him a hard time, all in fun of course.

Just for Fun:

There was a time or two for me.

It is no harder than wrapping a present. Of course I have never been complimented on my persent wrapping skills. Hmmm

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ? I like challenging jigsaw puzzles.
or
Word search ?

Even though I grew up in the 60's I never had a record player.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:42 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,305,990 times
Today's Question(s):

The only thing I ever really looked forward to was investigating the library to see what new books the librarian had gotten in over the summer. I was a pretty solitary type (still am, for that matter), and was happiest sitting in the bagged-out easy chair off in the far corner of the library beyond the final row of shelves with a good book.

Bonus Question:

I think it was a couple of weeks ago, when we were in the throes of the year-end audit at work and stress levels were running at an all-time high (or at least mine was). I was hurrying out the door of my office with another big armful of files for the auditors just as one of my colleagues was hustling around the corner carrying a cup of coffee. Yep, you guessed it, spectacular collision, papers and coffee everywhere, and all we could do was to just laugh helplessly at the spectacle. It provided a much-needed anodyne to the stress of the day.

Just for Fun:

I did that for my kids when they were in middle & high school. They didn't want the cutesy printed ones by that point.

It wasn't all that long ago. One graduated in 2001 and the other in 2003, so I could probably still summon up enough functional neurons to put one together at this point.

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

I'm not very good at any of them, but if I had to choose, I'd opt for a jigsaw puzzle and my spouse to work on it with.

Funny you should ask that, the spouse and I have just been sorting through the 60 or 70 LPs that we still have, trying to decide which we want to try to get on CD and which to just get rid of outright. There are a few that I won't give up, even though we no longer have a functional turntable. My folks both loved classical music, and I still have some of their favorites, some of them dating back to the 1950s. They'll live here as long as I do.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:48 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,647,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
lol ok I guess the "post today question option" seemed like a better choice for all of our late nighters !!
So
Good morning everyone
Happy Wednesday
The weather "gurus" are calling for another toasty day with a little rain thrown in . lol I had to chuckle there is a possible tropical depression like a "bazillion" miles to the east of us, well I guess since this years Hurricane season has been quiet they are all excited, they are even doing the "breaking news tonight at 11 " thingys

I hope that thing stays a 'bazillion' miles from us too!

We had rain and storms move quickly thru our area today, somehow we missed out on the bad stuff but did get over an inch of rain. It was badly needed...

Well I am getting the " mom we need to go out soon" so I better get typing with

Today's Question(s):

Well, we liveed out in what I called the boonies so I was always excited to see my friends! And of course I played basketball so getting our season under way was always exciting. But the best thing of all was the NEW CLOTHES and shoes!!!

Think I am weird, but I had this thing for pens and notebooks. Confession, I still do!!!

Also, I missed the way our school smelled, it was a mixture of crayons, copy paper, chalk and great smells coming from the lunchroom....

Bonus Question:

Something that my oldest son said I am sure. I tell him that in years to come, these little things that embarrass us so much will be something we can share a laugh and memory together in a few years.

Just for Fun:

Nope, we bought the cheap ones with the school logo, you know the with the white background and local sponsers. We would turn them wrong side out with just a plain white background showing and our friends would write cute little sayings to one another on them.

Think you could still make them ? nope

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

all of the above.

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Me, Me, Me...in storage...even some of my dads old ones. I think I might even have some 8 tracks as well....

Today is:
Julliene Fries Day ....Oh this is my kind of day!
Sewing Machine Day
Baseball Fans Day .....I'm the number one fan of my baseball son, that's for sure!
Truck Driver Day ....Hat's off to all truckers, my family was a trucker family, consisting of my dad, grandfather, and uncles.
National Vinyl Record Day don't knock 'em till you listen to 'em...some great songs were recorded on these records.

OOO the newsguy just said we are suppose to have lots of shooting starts tonight oh yeah right after they brought up the tropics

Shooting stars??? cool...

I am going to go take a look didja see any?

See you all in the Am

HOpe everyone has a great Wednesday....I will be making fig preserves...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:54 PM

1,678 posts, read 2,538,647 times
Thank you Karla...this is great, as I have an early appointment in the morning and wouldn't have time to do this!!

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? Well, after Catholic School and uniforms for so many years, I looked forward to shopping for real clothes when I started going to Public School!

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" Oh, this has to be my 2 great-grandsons...they are the most amusing little guys! They are a joy!

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? I did this for many years!

Think you could still make them ? Definitely!!

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

How many here still have any vinyl records ? Got lots of these!

Happy Wednesday to everyone...

Old 08-11-2009, 10:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,299,424 times
Default Today's Question(s)

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? ...Not much

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" ...My 2nd nephew tripping over a tree stump

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? ...i I think i did that but oh that was a long time ago

Think you could still make them ? ...Most likely

Puzzles : ...Yes
crossword ? ...Yes
or
Jigsaw ?...Yes
or
Word search ?...nah

How many here still have any vinyl records ? ...I have a few

Old 08-11-2009, 11:07 PM

54,477 posts, read 33,778,157 times
Today's Question(s):

Hmmm.. I usually looked forward to.. the end of the school year and summer vacation!

Just for Fun:
Vinyl records? I thought all of my records are on paper.. - Actually, I had a whole bunch of LP records up until just a couple of years ago, they had been sitting in one of my closets since 1989, when I bought a CD player and started buying CD's. I ended up selling all of them to a place that specializes in nostalgic items, If I remember correctly they paid me something like $80 for them. There were also 2 or 3 of those records that were scratched or warped and they couldn't buy them, I think I threw them into the recycle bin.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,777,643 times
good morning.... I saw one shooting star so far.. anyone else see any?

Today's Question(s):

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? socializing with friends other than my brothers and cousins

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" watching a huge bumblebee on a bee balm blossom yesterday

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? guilty

Think you could still make them ? I still do once in a while ... have good experience

Puzzles :
crossword ? I try it every day with limited sucess
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ?

How many here still have any vinyl records ? sold all mine 2 years ago in the yard sale... all the money I spent years back and almost gave them away

Today is:
Julliene Fries Day - nice
Sewing Machine Day
Baseball Fans Day
Truck Driver Day
National Vinyl Record Day

Old 08-12-2009, 12:27 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,454,206 times
What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? I didn't look forward to anything about going back to school. I absolutely hated school. Up until I was in the third grade, I used to throw up every morning before leaving the house for school.

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" Watching our dog hump her favorite stuffed animal.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? O O O O O!!!!!!! I did!!!!!!!

Think you could still make them ? Sure!

Puzzles :
crossword ? yep
or
Jigsaw ? nah. I don't have the patience.
or
Word search ? sometimes

How many here still have any vinyl records ? I threw mine away years ago. My husband, who never throws anything away has his old albums around the house somewhere...lol

Old 08-12-2009, 12:49 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,407,333 times

What were some of the things you looked forward to when you were younger and were getting ready to go back to school ? New clothes & seeing old friends.

Bonus Question:

"See it is the little things that are most amusing" Taking my sons fishing and sitting in our chairs, just hearing the frogs and birds, and seeing the sunset, simple yet wonderful.

Just for Fun:

How many here made their own book covers for school using a brown grocery bag ? I did, well actually my mom did. She did this every year and they lasted the whole year.

Think you could still make them ? I could probably figure it out.

Puzzles :
crossword ?
or
Jigsaw ?
or
Word search ? This one!

How many here still have any vinyl records ? I don't have any left now, but used to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics