Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 08:45 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
In CA it is clearly posted at the pumps in huge red letters:

NO SMOKING

But that doesn't stop some people from doing it anyway. No, I don't say anything. I guess I should, but I just don't. Don't want to start a fight with an idiot.
Trouble is that they'll kill someone else because of their stupid mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 10:07 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Consider the source - an adult that is engaging in something that everyone knows causes cancer and respiratory disease to say nothing of the woman who smokes while pregnant and the harm she is doing to an unborn child. And you are passive to that kind of person? I think not!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:07 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Lightbulb Always one more good thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
Consider the source - an adult that is engaging in something that everyone knows causes cancer and respiratory disease to say nothing of the woman who smokes while pregnant and the harm she is doing to an unborn child. And you are passive to that kind of person? I think not!
enough said! and well done too!

Old 08-29-2009, 09:43 AM

10,447 posts, read 49,658,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Warn them once, then go pull the Emergency Shutoff switch. Works everytime. You should see all the folks that showup.
I would say that if you pulled the emergency button on the pumps while people are pumping that they would rather beat the pulp outta you rather then the dumb azz who is smoking.

I would also say the station owner would call the pigs on you, not the idiot smoking.

I personally could care less if they smoke, I dont even care if they burn. But I am in a hurry and dont feel like waiting for some big shot who is playing policeman with a switch which is not yours to play with.

Old 08-29-2009, 03:40 PM

298 posts, read 1,089,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
I would say that if you pulled the emergency button on the pumps while people are pumping that they would rather beat the pulp outta you rather then the dumb azz who is smoking.

I would also say the station owner would call the pigs on you, not the idiot smoking.

I personally could care less if they smoke, I dont even care if they burn. But I am in a hurry and dont feel like waiting for some big shot who is playing policeman with a switch which is not yours to play with.
I think motormaker was joking.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:28 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
True story: I was trucking across I-80 in Wyoming and I'd started talking on the CB with another trucker. We stopped for fuel and I pulled into the island to his left. Starting the auxilary pump on the right side of my truck, I was talking to him and not paying attention to what I was doing. The last customer had left the handle latched "ON" and I didn't notice. I had the nozzle pointed at him as I flipped the "start" lever up and sprayed him with fuel. Fortunately, he had a good humor about it and was NOT smoking, thank goodness!

Old 08-29-2009, 04:35 PM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post

Hasn't happened yet and the police and fire folks were grateful. Anyone can use it if the is a emergency or law violation.

Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM

24,470 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyse View Post
I think motormaker was joking.
Nope.

Old 08-29-2009, 05:36 PM

52,688 posts, read 47,955,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Yes,,, I would say something! A few years ago I stopped at a station and was filling my tank. I noticed another customer who started doing the same thing however he was smoking. I politely told him “you shouldn’t smoke while pumping!” and he replied “gas won’t burn even if you drop a match in a gallon of it”. I yelled back “you’re right! ~ however gas fumes will explode, put that cigarette OUT!”…….. He looked a little pissed and flipped the cigarette over to the curb. What a dumb ass. There seems to be one in every group of people.
I would have loved to have seen a police officer telling that guy the same thing. Can you imagine the reaction then? People just don't think of the consequences until it's just too late. There could have just as easily been an explosion right then and there.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:34 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,184,922 times
Anyone pumping gas without using an Intrinsic safe cell phone ( Intrinsically Safe Cell Phones, Explosion Proof Cell Phones, GSM, Mobile phone) is in the same risk factor. I used to go through this while working on a Navy pier for several years. It has always been the rule....but no one cares until it goes BOOM....and then they want Workers Comp.

Just sayin...................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics