Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,870,991 times

Advertisements

Did you do anything special to celebrate the "Big Birthdays" like

16 -
21 -
30 -
40 -
50 -
60 -
70 -
Nothing special on my birthdays. I always had a family party for my daughter's birthdays when they were younger. My older daughter just had her 29th birthday. Her sister and I are planning a spa day for her 30th.
Bonus Question:
With Halloween getting closer, lets see how creative our QOTD family is when it comes to

Halloween Costumes !!!!

What are some of the Halloween Costumes you have worn in the past ? One year we were part of a haunted hay ride. My sisters wrapped me up.... I now know why mummies walk the way they do. My mother used to put on a show for the kids. One year she had a coffin in the dining room. She was in it.

When was the last time you wore a costume ? Not for a while.

Extra Credit Question:

Now that the weather has gotten cooler, are there any " I do it when the cool weather gets here projects" waiting for you ? I started to crochet again when my daughter was expecting. Now that I know I can still (sort of) do it I'm thinking of making a blanket for my younger daughter who was married in August.

Just for Fun:

For those with cell phones do you have a special ring tone ? I didn't have a cell until recently when my daughter got me one for when I'm traveling alone. I often go to shows hours away and travel home in early morning hours. No special ring.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,697,497 times
To all you wonderful "QOD" peeps!!

Today's Question(s):
In yesterdays thread,shannonM mentioned her son is turning 21 and they are going to Vegas to celebrate !! It got me thinking about those special b-days so

Did you do anything special to celebrate the "Big Birthdays" like....
Not really.....we, as in family, all get together and the B'day person gets to pick the place of their favorite eats and we all meet there together. Enjoying the fellowship, food, and of course the B'day person will open their gifts.
Our Family has always focused more so toward the children. But of course the parents will also do the thing individually with their children w/their friends.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you wore a Halloween costume ?
About 30 yrs ago...

Extra Credit Question:
Now that the weather has gotten cooler, are there any " I do it when the cool weather gets here projects" waiting for you ?
Not really!
Actually ......There is one project. All summer I would purchase books of interest to put away for the winter.
Dang, I have all those books to read....

Just for Fun:
For those with cell phones do you have a special ring tone ?
Yes...

Do you have separate ring tones for different people ?
Oh, yes and some pretty funny one's at that!

Today in History:
1916 - San Diego Zoo founded.....The last time I was at the San Diego Zoo was in 1972....

1959 - Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" premieres on CBS-TV....
Now when I was a teenager this was considered our spooky stuff.....LOL, which watching it now really makes one laugh compared w/the technology of film making in today sci-fi's!!

Today is:
National Fried Scallops Day.........Yum! Much rather have any type of sea food to red meat!!
Techie's DayThank you....all you wonderful Techie's!!!
I'm sure thankful for you.....in many ways..........

Have a wonderful Friday~weekend to all!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 AM

48,132 posts, read 22,004,457 times
Today's Question(s):
In yesterdays thread,shannonM mentioned her son is turning 21 and they are going to Vegas to celebrate !! It got me thinking about those special b-days so
16 -21 -30 -40 -50 -60 -70 ?

I am almost up to the last one you listed....and havent done anything special yet...other than small, warm family celebrations with home made or supermarket cake. Last year one of my sons made a pine apple upside down cake because it is my favorite.

Bonus Question:
With Halloween getting closer, lets see how creative our QOTD family is when it comes to
Halloween Costumes !!!!
What are some of the Halloween Costumes you have worn in the past ?
When was the last time you wore a costume ?

I am not big into costumes...I have worn masks..(too hot)...and sorta dressed in cast-off clothing or wrapped myself up in some sort of shmatte and carried a jack-o-lantern when I answer the door for trick or treaters....but no real creative costumes for me.

Extra Credit Question:

Now that the weather has gotten cooler, are there any " I do it when the cool weather gets here projects" waiting for you ?

I am sure that there are.....but I lost the list!

Just for Fun:

Today in History:

1895 - 1st cartoon comic strip is printed in a newspaper
1916 - San Diego Zoo founded I was a member of the Zoo and loved it! Great Zoo!
1950 - The renowned comic strip "Peanuts" began on this day in seven U.S. newspapers. The strip had only three characters at its inception: Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty and Shermy. Snoopy, made his first appearance on October 4th. Later, we were introduced to Linus, Lucy Van Pelt, Sally and Schroeder. The "Peanuts" gang came from the California town of Sebastopol, which really exists.
1959 - Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" premieres on CBS-TV

Word of the Day:
incarnadine \in-KAR-nuh-dyn\ , adjective, verb:
1. Having a pink color.
2. Red; blood-red.
transitive verb:
1. To make red or crimson.

Today is:

National Fried Scallops Day We just had scallops alfredo on linguini...have more in freezer, but not today.
National Custodial Workers Day
Name your car day
Denim Day
Techie's Day

(Thank You Karla....for bringing us together )

Old 10-02-2009, 07:33 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,674,449 times

Today's Question(s):

16 -
21 -
30 -
40 -
50 -
60 -
70 -
We've addressed this before. Those of us who have birthdays near Christmas never have a party or do anything.

Bonus Question:

Halloween Costumes !!!!

It was about 10 years ago. I went to work as UNITOR. We sold and serviced some equip make in Denmark. The translator, who did their parts manual, was at times weak. He translated a spacer as a "space peace". Some items did not fit Unitor (a model not sold in the US). It seemed a natural jump to assume UNITOR was the alien who signed the Space Peace Treaty. I wore a multi colored helmet with rubber darts stuck to it to look like antenna. Put blue (Mfg's colors) make-up on my face and arms. I actually make coffee come out of a co-workers nose when I walked in.

Extra Credit Question:

Longer afternoon naps.

Just for Fun:

NO

Today in History:
1895 - 1st cartoon comic strip is printed in a newspaper
1916 - San Diego Zoo founded
1950 - The renowned comic strip "Peanuts" began on this day in seven U.S. newspapers. The strip had only three characters at its inception: Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty and Shermy. Snoopy, made his first appearance on October 4th. Later, we were introduced to Linus, Lucy Van Pelt, Sally and Schroeder. The "Peanuts" gang came from the California town of Sebastopol, which really exists. GOOD GRIEF
1959 - Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" premieres on CBS-TV

Word of the Day:
1. Having a pink color.
2. Red; blood-red.
transitive verb:

Today is:

National Fried Scallops Day
National Custodial Workers Day
Name your car day
Denim Day
Techie's Day[/quote]

Old 10-02-2009, 07:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
[quote=Karla with a K;11012804]Good morning everyone
Happy Friday
Yay it is almost the weekend !!!

Well even though it is cool this morning, summer is expected back this afternoon expected highs the next couple days are 89/88

But hey that means more inside time to play on CD and ask

[b]
Today's Question(s):

Did you do anything special to celebrate the "Big Birthdays" like I've never made a big deal over birthdays. Going out to dinner with friends and family.

16 -
21 -
30 -
40 -
50 -
60 -
70 -

Bonus Question:

Halloween Costumes !!!!

What are some of the Halloween Costumes you have worn in the past ? I was a Playboy Bunny in the 4Th grade.

When was the last time you wore a costume ? Last night...oh you mean on Halloween? Maybe in college.

Extra Credit Question:

Now that the weather has gotten cooler, are there any " I do it when the cool weather gets here projects" waiting for you ? Yes, pack up and move to our Winter place.

Just for Fun:

For those with cell phones do you have a special ring tone ? A ring tone is always special when it's yours.

Do you have separate ring tones for different people ? Home phone has different ring tones.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:35 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
I'm usually horrible with dates, events, and that kind of thing - people probably did wonderful, lovely things for me on special birthdays but I can't remember where and when right now

What are some of the Halloween Costumes you have worn in the past ? my bff and i went as robots one year. Her older brother (now an engineer) rigged them so we had all sorts of lights and sounds. The problem was that they were unwieldy big boxes and we had to lug enormous (heavy) batteries with us...like almost the size of a car battery!

When was the last time you wore a costume ? dunno, bad with dates and such, remember?

Now that the weather has gotten cooler, are there any " I do it when the cool weather gets here projects" waiting for you ? is this a trick question? I have "I'll do it when I get to it" projects - got it?

For those with cell phones do you have a special ring tone ? no, just the one it came with - it's a big joke with my family/friends

Do you have separate ring tones for different people ? no, it's almost always my husband or my one sister - not many people have my number

Today in History:
1895 - 1st cartoon comic strip is printed in a newspaper anyone else have a hankering for some silly putty?
1916 - San Diego Zoo founded
1950 - The renowned comic strip "Peanuts" began on this day in seven U.S. newspapers. The strip had only three characters at its inception: Charlie Brown, Peppermint Patty and Shermy. Snoopy, made his first appearance on October 4th. Later, we were introduced to Linus, Lucy Van Pelt, Sally and Schroeder. The "Peanuts" gang came from the California town of Sebastopol, which really exists. love the peanuts gang! small crush on Linus...and Snoopy...as a kid
1959 - Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" premieres on CBS-TV fun

Word of the Day: i'm a blusher so am well acquainted with this word
1. Having a pink color.
2. Red; blood-red.
transitive verb:

Today is:

National Fried Scallops Day yes please!
National Custodial Workers Day thank you!
Name your car day
Denim Day almost always "forever in blue jeans babe"
Techie's Day love my tech geek

Old 10-02-2009, 07:40 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Big birthdays?

16 got driver's license! Woohoo
21 no
30 went out to Ruth Chris steakhouse, husband sent me a bouquet of black balloons (I had done this to him on his 30th the prior year!:
40 had surprise party later at restaurant with some friends
50 party again at restaurant with close friends at Italian restaurant
60 not there yet

Halloween costumes?
No, don't "do" halloween
last time I wore a costume?

for a 50's era dress up at work (wore poodle skirt etc)

Cellphone rings?
Yes, it plays "My Redeemer Lives" for calls. Voice mails play "Days of Elijah" and texts play "Fur Elise." My husband has separate rings for people. A few years ago, he had his ringtone for his best friend set to play the Batman theme" whenever he called. One day my husband was in the shower and his cellphone rang and I thought it was playing "Batman" (it was actually the Pink Panther theme_and I answered, "Hello, Batman!" There was dead silence for a second or 2 and then a girl says very hesitantly, "Uh....I think I have the wrong number!" to which I responded, "Uh,....I think you do too!"

Denim Day It's casual Friday at work and yes, I am wearing jeans.

Happy Friday everyone!

Last edited by kaykay; 10-02-2009 at 08:29 AM..

Old 10-02-2009, 07:47 AM

8,831 posts, read 11,623,201 times
Today's Question(s):

16 - sweet 16 party
21 - celebrated being able to drink
30 - more drinking
40 - eating and drinking
50 - I haven't reached the big 5-0 yet but no more drinking
60 -
70 -

Bonus Question:

Halloween Costumes !!!!

I was raggedy Ann once and a black cat, tail and all...and a witch, of course

4 years ago

Extra Credit Question:

Yeah, cleaning out my car and washing it

Just for Fun:

Yes, it plays music

Nope

Word of the Day:
1. Having a pink color.
2. Red; blood-red.
transitive verb:
My Irish blood means my face is always incarnadine.

Today is:
National Fried Scallops Day..........ooooh, yum
National Custodial Workers Day....
Name your car day......................already named
Denim Day.................................yay
Techie's Day...............................does not include me

Old 10-02-2009, 07:54 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,993 times

Today's Question(s):

16 - Driving and girls or girls and driving
21 - Drinking, working and girls or working girls and drinking
30 - nah
40 - dbl nah
50 - huh

Bonus Question:

Extra Credit Question:

Now that the weather has gotten cooler, are there any " I do it when the cool weather gets here projects" waiting for you ? - weather really has no influence on what I do. When something needs done I just do it

Just for Fun:

For those with cell phones do you have a special ring tone ? yep

Do you have separate ring tones for different people ? nope

Word of the Day:
1. Having a pink color.
2. Red; blood-red.
transitive verb:

Today is:
FRIDAY......

Old 10-02-2009, 07:55 AM

3,978 posts, read 8,550,032 times
Not much for me to comment on today.....we have no problem with celebrating birthdays, but it is extremely rare in our household.

We do not "do" halloween.

And we do not have cell phones.

My cool weather chore is bringing in my potted plants. Most of that is already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics