Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 03:12 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,780,553 times

Advertisements

What fun things do you have planned for this weekend ? None, it's raining, and my wife returns home from vacation tomorrow. Maybe I'll just go jump in some puddles and pretend I'm six years old again.
Bonus Question:

When was the last time you called in sick ? This past Wednesday. Woke up and every part of my body ached. Slept all day and felt much better the day after. Still have a chest cold but feeling better.

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ? Sure, especially if I was getting ready to quit a job. Do hangovers count?
What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ? Had someone call me to tell me that she had a really bad case of the runs and wasn't coming in that day. I would have preferred she lied.

Extra Credit Question:

Ok sit back, close your eyes and think

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ? VCR, Sony Walkman, thumb drive.

Just for Fun:

What was some of your favorite "Family TV shows" of all time ? [/b]

Cheers
Seinfeld
Sanford and Son
Wings
Taxi
All in the Family
Twilight Zone
Honeymooners
King of Queens
Roseanne
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM

320 posts, read 1,070,073 times
Today's Question(s):

What fun things do you have planned for this weekend ?
Today I drained the oil from my old, dead lawnmower in preparation to haul it away to scrap metal recycling! It just can't get more exciting than that!!!

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you called in sick ?
Tough one....I can telecommute, so if just sick with a cold, I can still sort-of work. A full fledged flu when I didn't log in at all was about 2 years ago.

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ? Well duh...who hasn't!!

What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ? I know there are good ones, but can't think of them right now.

Just for Fun:

What was some of your favorite "Family TV shows" of all time ?
Brady Bunch!

Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
Today's Question(s):

I was planning on doing a few things, but I'm not able to because my truck is still in the body shop. Instead, I'm stuck with a small Toyota rental car.. I guess I can tie the stuff I was planning on hauling to the roof of the car..

Bonus Question:

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ?
What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ?
I'm sick of my boss... does that count? - I'm just kidding, I like all the people I work with, including my boss. - The last time I called in sick, I had a cold earlier this year.

As for calling in sick for something unusual... let's see... I called in because it was Y2K and I thought the whole world was going to fall apart... I also called in sick in advance on December 21, 2012.. - I also called in a couple of days in advance recently and I told them that I was going to be sick on October 1st, but they didn't buy it.. Seriously, I don't remember ever calling in sick because of something unusual, and I only call in sick for legitimate reasons, mainly if I'm not feeling good.

Extra Credit Question:

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ?
Many things that I found fascinating at first, but with technology and the way it's going, it seems like we're going to be a nation that's very dependant on technology, we're going to forget the human factors. One example is when you call a customer service number, and you get an automated answering system, with a list of options that are not what you're looking for. You'd rather speak to a real person that can help you, and nowadays that option seems to be gradually disappearing.

Just for Fun:

Hmm... How about the show that has the Sports Illustrated Swim Suit Models... Hey, it's a family show.. all the guys in the family love to watch it...

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 10-03-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,864,590 times
One item in the technology world that I always liked are the flight simulators. I've seen the ones America West Airlines (now US Airways) had for the Boeing 737-300, the 757-200, and the Airbus A319/A320 (common instrument panel for both Airbus models). They are as close to flying those aircraft as you can get. I also have a flight simulator on one of my home computers, and it's also as close to the real thing as you can get.

Old 10-03-2009, 03:32 PM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Saturday
Yay it is the weekend !! Lots of fun things to do on this first weekend in October so lets see whats on your list when I ask

Today's Question(s):

What fun things do you have planned for this weekend ? Wanted to go pick some apples but the weather didn't hold up.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you called in sick ? It's been a long time.

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ? Once or twice.

What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ? Don't have an answer.

Extra Credit Question:

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ? VCR,Microwave,Cellphone and Computers.

Just for Fun:

All In The Family,Little House On The Prairie,Who's The Boss,Happy Days,Laverne and Shirley,ALF,The Honeymooners,The Jeffersons,Highway To Heaven,The Jackie Gleason Show,The Red Skelton Show, The Dean Martin Show (RIP DINO.....You Are Missed.) Ya think I am a TV junkie?
Today in History:
1863 - Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day
1872 - Bloomingdale's department store in New York opens
1906 - One of the nation?s pioneer retailers, W.T. Grant, opened a 25-cent department store on this day.
1955 - "Mickey Mouse Club" premieres ---Who's The Leader Of The Club That's Made For You and Me......M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!!
1955 - "Captain Kangaroo" premieres on CBS-TV, Good Morning, Captain! Gotta Love Mr. Moose!!!
1990 - East Germany and West Germany merge to become Germany

Word of the Day:

raffish \RAF-ish\ , adjective:
1. Characterized by or suggestive of flashy crudeness, or rowdiness; tawdry.
2. Marked by a carefree unconventionality or disreputableness; rakish.

Today is:
National Caramel Custard Day
Family TV Show Day
Look at the Leaves Day
Change A Light Day
World Card Making Day
Butterfly and Hummingbird Day
Have a great Saturday evening.

Old 10-03-2009, 04:27 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,667,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Good morning everyone
Happy Saturday

Today's Question(s):

I had gone to the store yesterday and gotten all my paint, so I could paint all day today....unfortunately...

we got a call at 3 a.m. this morning that my dh's uncle had passed away. The Sheriff could not get my FIL to the door and had called us. I was up till 7 then took a nap. Tomorrow will be the funeral and it is over an hours drive away.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you called in sick ? I work from home, have for over 10 years, I can't call in sick, the customers won't leave me alone!

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ? No, I am one of those who thinks if I lie, then whatever I said will happen! Is why I never used one of my children for an excuse

What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ? I had an old clunker of a car for many years, and the thing was always messing up, but one morning it actually ran out of gas....I got teased quite a bit for that one

Extra Credit Question:

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ? cell phones, robotic arms for dr's to do surgery with, lasers especially for surgery.

Just for Fun:

Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, The Beverly Hillbillies, Lassie, Mutual of Omah's Wild Kingdom, Wagon Train, Bonanza, Little House on the Prairie, Charley's Angels, Magnum P.I., Hawaii Five-O, Quincy, Emergency, Alf, The Cosby Show, The Original Knight Rider, The Origional Bionic Woman, Eight is Enough, My Three Sons, Lucy, The Nanny, Jericho, The Unit, NCIS, Police Woman, Original Starsky and Hutch, Streets of San Francisco....oh better stop here...

Today in History:
1863 - Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day And boy do we like to celebrate it!!!! Turkey is king on our hill...
1955 - "Captain Kangaroo" premieres on CBS-TV, Good Morning, Captain! Ooohh I forgot all about Captain Kangaroo

Word of the Day:

raffish \RAF-ish\ , adjective:
1. Characterized by or suggestive of flashy crudeness, or rowdiness; tawdry.
2. Marked by a carefree unconventionality or disreputableness; rakish.

Today is:
National Caramel Custard Day
Family TV Show Day
Look at the Leaves Day
Change A Light Day
World Card Making Day
Butterfly and Hummingbird Day -- what beauty these bring to us....

Old 10-03-2009, 04:50 PM

3,978 posts, read 8,549,348 times
I am really late getting to this....

Today's Question(s):

I am rather embarassed to say...I had planned to go to the Harvest Homecoming in Harrison. I had seen the info on a website. I went ...it was not there! I came home and did some more research and found that it will be the 16th and 17th ! So much for believing the first website that you read!

Bonus Question:

I "call in sick" every day...but it does no good since I am a homemaker!

Extra Credit Question:

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ?
TV's , Computers, Microwaves, .....I go way back...so there are many of them.

Just for Fun:

The Waltons probably top the list.

Today in History:
1863 - Lincoln designates last Thursday in November as Thanksgiving Day

My very favorite ....but all days should be....

1906 - One of the nation’s pioneer retailers, W.T. Grant, opened a 25-cent department store on this day.

Hmmm, I remember the 5 & 10-cent stores.

1990 - East Germany and West Germany merge to become Germany

That was a good thing...

Today is:
Look at the Leaves Day

Butterfly and Hummingbird Day[/quote]

I espacially like these two....

Old 10-03-2009, 04:58 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Good Saturday evening to you...before I go curl up with a nice book I'll answer these....

Today's Question(s):

What fun things do you have planned for this weekend ? I worked this morning so that wasn't all that much fun, but I did go see Fiddler on the Roof this afternoon....it was awesome! We're just piddling around the house tomorrow.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you called in sick ? Been a few months ago

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ?
I consider those...mental health days.

What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ? None come to mind....I know I've had to call in because I was stuck in a snowdrift a couple of times. down here I guess we call them sun drifts lol
Extra Credit Question:

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ? Like you Karla...it was the fax machine. After that it's like...oh well.
Just for Fun:

Wow there were so many...plus we watched all the variety shows like Glenn Campbell, Donnie and Marie, Sonny and Cher....I miss those....and who could forget Carol Burnett and friends!!!

I hope the rest of your weekend's great!!!

Old 10-03-2009, 05:15 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Went to a brunch hear a report from teachers that a organization we belong to send to Valley Forge to learn more about The Constitution and The Declaration of Independence.

Bonus Question:

I think it was back in 98.

Extra Credit Question:

Computers, GPS for personal use, cell phones and many other electronic tools.

Just for Fun:

Oh boy, Ozzie and Harriet, Ponderosa, Dragnet, Mash,and many others.

Old 10-03-2009, 05:33 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,730,526 times
Today's Question(s):

What fun things do you have planned for this weekend ? Nothing worth mentioning.

Bonus Question:

When was the last time you called in sick ? I had to take sick days when I injured my back about 4 weeks ago.

OK fess up(we won't tell), have you ever called in sick when you really weren't ? Yes, like most people.

What is the most unusual excuse you have either heard or given for calling out from work ? The person called out from work because they got a bad hair cut.

Extra Credit Question:

What were some of the "Modern Technology" items that you found most fascinating the first time you saw them ? Cellular Phone, Phones with Caller ID already inside of them, laptop computers.

Just for Fun:

What was some of your favorite "Family TV shows" of all time ? The Golden Girls, Frasier, Bewitched, All in the Family, The Nanny, Reba, Everybody Loves Raymond, plus more that I can't think of right now.

My all-time favorite reality show is none other than Judge Judy! I could watch her all day long!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics