U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:44 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,441,348 times
I don't think there is any way to prevent people from doing it. Even hands-free devices really aren't much better. Its not the use of one hand on the phone that is a problem... its the attention given to the conversation instead of to the road that is the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 AM

8,640 posts, read 14,425,773 times
Have I done it myself? Yes. Should anyone do it? No. One of my blogs here on CD addresses the subject. I have a daily reminder outside my workplace about this in the form of a makeshift memorial with a small white cross flowers and occasionally a teddy bear, memorializing a teen-age boy who was on a motorcycle (dangerous too.) He was hit by a lady who turned on a red light while on a cell phone.

When I see the memorial, I feel bad for the boy, his family AND the lady who hit him. Cell phone usage is just too distracting IMO. It can also be dangerous for the person on the cell phone. When I first moved to Plano, a lady was killed when she pulled out in front of a truck while on her cell phone.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-07-2009 at 08:36 AM..

Old 10-07-2009, 08:31 AM

9,736 posts, read 23,668,058 times
I know it has gotten so bad, my husband can now lose his job if he is caught talking on his cell while driving. We know of a # of companies who are following suit.
Time for the Auto Industry to step up and patten something that disables your phone while in gear.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:38 AM

2,844 posts, read 3,823,046 times
Last summer I bought a motorcycle. First one I've owned in thirty years and I dearly loved it. Big cruiser; big enough to be seen and loud enough to be heard. Sadly, within six months I sold it. Two close calls (one EXTREMELY close) with women on cell phones.

As a result, I started noting how often I would see women on cell phones vs. men, while driving. I tried to do this at intersections and when it was safe (from the relative safety of my truck's cab). I think in our immediate area, about 40-50% of the women were talking on their phones while driving. Probably more, since this percentage represented only the ones talking with it up to their ear. Men was more like 10%, tops.

I know this sounds sexist, but I'm being truthful here. I agree that it should be illegal to talk on the cell phone while driving whether it's hands-free or not.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM

55,601 posts, read 11,780,426 times
I use a bluetooth when I drive.It's safer. But I dropped it in water yesterday,so it's not working today. Any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2009, 08:42 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,119,447 times
Here in Florida, you see a lot of men talking or texting. I would say it's pretty close to half and half.

I wonder, tho....whatever did we do years ago when we had to leave the telephone back at the house? Can you imagine not being able to talk on the phone 24/7??? Well, I just don't know how we survived! (please read above with a sarcastic note)

Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 11,119,447 times
Izzy, I was the one who DM'd you. Sorry you aren't able to get it apart to let it dry. Oh, well.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:28 AM

42,660 posts, read 19,520,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageLife View Post
I use a bluetooth when I drive.It's safer. But I dropped it in water yesterday,so it's not working today. Any suggestions?
Get a new one?

Sorry Izzy - If it's still under warranty, you might be able to get it replaced for free.

Old 10-07-2009, 11:33 AM

537 posts, read 175,293 times
I was waiting for a red light and rear-ended by a lady who was talking on her cell. I hope she learned her lesson, as I, politely, gave her a piece of my mind.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:40 PM

4,281 posts, read 6,614,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I know it has gotten so bad, my husband can now lose his job if he is caught talking on his cell while driving. We know of a # of companies who are following suit.
Time for the Auto Industry to step up and patten something that disables your phone while in gear.
This got me wondering about our local cops and detectives. I often see them driving along with a cell phone glued to their ear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics