U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2007, 04:00 PM

2,267 posts, read 372,705 times

Advertisements

I am curious because it seems that everyone who comes to my neighborhood completely ignores the signs...

I just called the police on another idiot...he comes to my door to tell me he buys houses...well good for you, do you see a for sale sign in my yard...NOPE, not one there...

NOT here, not in my neighbors yard where he went next...this guy was just going down the road trying to buy peoples houses...stopping at everyones home.

I looked up the word soliciting...in several places AND I asked the police department. According their the dispathcers IDEA, this should preclude even the religious people from coming to the door.

http://www.fullerton.edu/policies/presdir/dir2.htm

check this out...this would seem to back up what the dispatcher told me

"Solicitation: means to importune, or endeavor to persuade or obtain by asking, "

I also asked the police dispatcher if having the sign out enabled the police to remove people who were not following the rules that are PLAINLY posted as you enter the development...you can't come in here without seeing them. She was not sure on this.

From now on, I am going to tell each and every person who knocks on my door doing this, to hold on a second, I need to grab a rob, then I am going out to the garage and turn on my sprinkler system. This last guy was real pretty in his dress clothes and I think the water would have just added to his overall look.

While we live in a nice neighborhood, we have had breakins with peoples cars, and peeping toms, its safe to assume these people are casing the places before they steal or invade peoples privacy...I look on anyone in the neighborhood with this in my memory.

I caught a guy just sitting in his truck watching this house...I think he might have been a PI, then again he might have been someone casing the house to later break into it, I walked right up to him bold as brass and asked him "what are you doing here, I know you don't live here"...he drove away without a word...I took down his license plate. I never saw that truck again.

Another time I caught a man in a VERY beat up car from South Carolina actually looking in my neighbors windows...in broad daylight...my daughter and I were walking back from the pool, I sent her on ahead and told him to stop or I would call the police, I pointed out that he was trespassing and it was against the law to peep into peoples windows...he SAID he was wanting to buy the house, which was in fact for sale at the time...he looked like he bearly had money for food...nevermind a house that was over $200,000. I remembered his plate until I got home and called the police again...they must be SO thrilled hearing from me.

Maybe I should back up and explain, I am a member of the neighborhood watch...I am hoping that we can make this neighborhood so uncomfortable for these people that they will move on.

One time my dear old Grandmother had a problem with someone that kept coming to her house and yelling at her (its a long story why), well he approached her one day screaming and yelling (he was probably out of his mind anyway) and he got too close to her, frightened her a little, she had been watering her flower bed, so she turned the hose on the old boy...quieted him down right away...it was the talk of the town how my Grandmother, the sweetest, kindest woman you would ever want to meet actually turned the hose on old man Casey...

Old 05-20-2007, 04:09 PM

14,468 posts, read 15,974,148 times
Lisa-

we had that in Boca- If your community states no soliciting- they have to abide by it- Call your HOA or even the security at your HOA. I went through similar things- people selling paintings-lol- I guess they are just deperate- an we were in an upscale community too.

be careful though. That SC guy sounds like a looter- I would just call 911. Thats pretty funny about the hose- lol- I would love doing that to a realtor at the door !

sunny

Old 05-20-2007, 04:26 PM

26,128 posts, read 8,030,487 times
Wow Lisa, I don't have many solicitors, but to me it means, "BACK OFF", do not come to my door EVER!!!!!
Good Luck!!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:27 PM

14,874 posts, read 23,874,869 times
Our city has an oridinance that if you post "No Soliciting" signs and the ord # at the neighborhood entrance and/or on your property they MUST abide by it. Only those like girl scouts or the local school kids can go door to door. One neighboring city even clamped down on that. We can even have added "No Handbills" which means they can't leave flyers on the doors or anything. No one can leave ANYTHING in your mailbox either as that voilates some postal rules.

As for people in the hood that you know don't belong, I always wave and smile whenever a car goes by. That way if they were up to no good they know they have been spotted. If they are looking for a new home then they know the neighbors are outgoing and friendly. If I see a strange car parked and someone in it acting susupicous or peering in windows, I'm calling 911. I'd rather the police bust them and lock them up and that way they can't just go somewhere else and do it.

As for the door to door stuff, sunny, you mentioned people going door to door w/ paintings. Right now in an area city (McKinney) they have some girl going door to door saying she is an art student and needing objectives on her work. When people open the door and she gets the okay she gives some signal to the two guys waiting in van nearby and they barge into the house and rob the homeowner. I don't open my door if it is not someone I know or recognize from the neighborhood.

Old 05-20-2007, 04:33 PM

I NEVER open my door unless I saw you walk up and recognized you...

I have a window by the front door...

Well I know our sign has the ordinance number listed on it as well...it doesn't seem to stop them, they all come, they all will tell you if you yell at them that they are not soliciting...which leads me to believe no one really knows what it means...

I called the police to come around and look for this idiot today, which I think I will just keep doing...of course BEFORE I go and turn on the sprinkler...so I can tell the police that the poor guy might be wet when you find him...

If I was brave enough to open the door, I would toss a bucket of water out...but I would be worried with the home invasions you hear about that even with that, they would push past me.

I don't get where people feel they have the right...I would NEVER dream of being so presumptious with other peoples time or property.

I forgot to mention, I had a sign on my front door that read...

BEWARE OF DOG
My Rottweiller prefers the taste of bible beaters and salespeople.
SO get off my property NOW !!!
Your not needed and your not welcome.

they knock on my door anyway...I think I need a shotgun...not that I would EVER shoot someone just because they knocked on my door but I bet it would be FUN to watch them run...

Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM

I like that sign idea. Here is one thing that happened- I was alone for 3 months in S Florida- some idiot was selling water testing equipment. He actually taped plastic vials to peoples doors- with a little note???!!!! so strange(only in S Florida) I called the HOA security (they were pretty good) the man called this idiot, who claimed he was an attorney (lol) yeah well I guess business was bad or sopmething- the point being- some people are desperate and/or crazy.

IMO they dont care about the no soliciting sign. They figure people are too timid to report them.

sunny

Old 05-20-2007, 04:58 PM

maybe they will feel differently about my shotgun...
I wonder who can run faster, real estate agents or plan everyday sales people...

Old 05-20-2007, 05:02 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,282,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
Lisa-

we had that in Boca- If your community states no soliciting- they have to abide by it- Call your HOA or even the security at your HOA. I went through similar things- people selling paintings-lol- I guess they are just deperate- an we were in an upscale community too.

be careful though. That SC guy sounds like a looter- I would just call 911. Thats pretty funny about the hose- lol- I would love doing that to a realtor at the door !

sunny

I didn't know you could have a community rule for no soliciting. That's interesting maybe I should try to get that set up through mine. Good idea!

Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM

4,299 posts, read 10,282,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
I like that sign idea. Here is one thing that happened- I was alone for 3 months in S Florida- some idiot was selling water testing equipment. He actually taped plastic vials to peoples doors- with a little note???!!!! so strange(only in S Florida) I called the HOA security (they were pretty good) the man called this idiot, who claimed he was an attorney (lol) yeah well I guess business was bad or sopmething- the point being- some people are desperate and/or crazy.

IMO they dont care about the no soliciting sign. They figure people are too timid to report them.

sunny

Oh yeah years ago that happened to us when we were living in AZ. They dropped off this bag with a water vile and instructions and he was suppose to come back and test our water and try to sell us a hydroquad machine.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:14 PM

Yes- the HOA can enforce it . If you dont have an HOA sometimes local police can help. When my elderly father (in NY suburbs) was harassed I called the local police- they went to the business and told the man it is against the law to go on someones private property and verbally harass them -Different statutes in different states- but your home is your sanctuary and no one has the right to invade that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.