U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:41 PM

5,651 posts, read 6,713,661 times

Advertisements

Good morning, everyone! Only four more days to wake up this year. Twelve inches of snow in the Fox river Valley Sat. We may get another 3 or 4 today. Karla asked if I would fill in for her this morning but not wanting to cause any anxiety attacks if I slept late, I'm posting this Saturday night. So, while she enjoys pancakes and another cup of coffee, here's...

Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music?

Bonus Question:
Where did you spend your most unusual New Years Eve?

Extra Credit Question:
The Resolution Fairy is coming to assure that your New Year's resolution will not be broken. What will it be?

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a _____________ out of flowers and show the world that ______________.

1825 1st public railroad using steam locomotive completed in England
1850 Hawaiian Fire Department established
1871 World's 1st cat show (Crystal Palace, London)
1937 Mae West performs Adam and Eve skit that gets her banned from NBC radio
1951 Post Office starts using Crosley autos in Cincinnati
1993 Dow-Jones hits record $3792.93

Word of the Day:
pres·ti·dig·i·ta·tion
Pronunciation: \pres-tə-ˌdi-jə-ˈtā-shən\n.
1. Performance of or skill in performing magic or conjuring tricks with the hands; sleight of hand.
2. A show of skill or deceitful cleverness

Today is:
Christmas Goose sandwich day
Visit the Zoo day
Call your broker day
Take a Walk Together Day
Constitution Day in North Korea

Last edited by Crew Chief; 12-27-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,571,193 times
Nice suprise to see this on Saturday...but Happy Sunday to you all...

Enjoy you pancakes and coffee Karla!

Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music? No

Where did you spend your most unusual New Years Eve? I'm always asleep when the New Year rolls in!

Extra Credit Question:

The Resolution Fairy is coming to assure that your New Year's resolution will not be broken. What will it be? Haven't made one yet...

Just for Fun:

As many years as I've lived in Southern California, and not that far from where the Rose Parade takes place...I've never seen it except on TV a few times!

Thanks studedude...you did a nice job!!

Old 12-26-2009, 11:04 PM

25,444 posts, read 7,189,436 times
Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music? It will not. People would not want to see that... believe me, I know. I have a story about dancing and singing in public. It's not nice.

Bonus Question:
Where did you spend your most unusual New Years Eve? I've never spent New Year's Eve anyplace "unusual".

Extra Credit Question:

The Resolution Fairy is coming to assure that your New Year's resolution will not be broken. What will it be? Lose more weight.

1837 Mae West performs Adam and Eve skit that gets her banned from NBC radio

Word of the Day:
pres·ti·dig·i·ta·tion
1. Performance of or skill in performing magic or conjuring tricks with the hands; sleight of hand.

Today is:

Visit the Zoo day
Call your broker day On a Sunday?
Take a Walk Together Day

Old 12-26-2009, 11:22 PM

5,685 posts, read 5,583,118 times
Very nice job, Studedude! Thanks for helping to give Karla her day of rest this week.

Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing?

Merciful heavens, no! Believe me, you do NOT want to see this buttercup on the dance floor. Those dancing hippos in Fantasia would look like Dame Margot Fonteyn compared to me.

If so to live or recorded music?

Not applicable, as noted above!

Bonus Question:

I'm afraid that I am a pretty boring type. I don't have any amusing stories about New Year's Eve to relate - possibly because I remain sober for the occasion, though I'm sure that's not the entire reason.

Extra Credit Question:
The Resolution Fairy is coming to assure that your New Year's resolution will not be broken. What will it be?

Thanks for the warning - I'll go lock the door right now! No militant resolution-enforcers here, thanks!

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a
gigantic bookworm out of flowers and show the world that I am a complete and irredeemable nerd.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:58 PM

5,309 posts, read 3,832,248 times
Thanks for stepping up, Studedude!

Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music? I'm going to have a small get together here and if anyone wants to dance - shake it, baby! While I haven't thrown a NY party in a long time, I remember why I stopped. Let's hope it stays relatively calm~~~~~~~~~~~~I figure, if Mother Nature starts acting up, at least I'm already home and I can have some champagne and not worry about driving. It always seemed that I had lots of overnighters so I guess I'd better prepare for that.

Bonus Question:
Where did you spend your most unusual New Years Eve? Way back in the day~~~~~~~~~~~~we flew down to Acapulco, MX. Had a really cool villa with a pool, over looking the bay and right next door to Hugh Hefner's villa! We talked our maids into talking their maids into giving us a tour. I still have the pics - absolutely gorgeous!!

Extra Credit Question:

The Resolution Fairy is coming to assure that your New Year's resolution will not be broken. What will it be? I usually don't bother - resolutions seem so senseless BUT I have made "commitments" to myself for this coming year that I will keep a secret. I do this only because I believe the minute you start telling people what they are is when they seem to get blown.
Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make an ocean with lots of dolphins_(loc: MN) out of flowers and show the world that _we have a vivid imagination.

Today is:
Visit the Zoo day - hmmmm - maybe
Call your broker day - Fired him
Take a Walk Together Day

Old 12-27-2009, 01:02 AM

99,107 posts, read 25,992,284 times
Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music?
Doubt it!!

Bonus Question:
On a farm.
Extra Credit Question:

No! Please send no more fairies No resolution here yet!

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a _____________ out of flowers and show the world that ______________.

1837 Mae West performs Adam and Eve skit that gets her banned from NBC radio

Word of the Day:
pres·ti·dig·i·ta·tion

Today is:

Visit the Zoo day
Call your broker day
Take a Walk Together Day

Old 12-27-2009, 01:38 AM

4,319 posts, read 3,198,785 times
Today's Question(s):
I will not be dancing. Seems everytime I start dancing, others on the dance floor think I am having a seizure and call 911. This question did bring back a very old memory. When I was in 9th grade I went to a very small school in rural Alaska. There was a dance at the school one night so I decided to go. When I got there, including me, there were 10 guys and only one girl. 5 minutes later the girl's boyfriend showed up and they left. So we played basketball instead.

Bonus Question:
Have never gone anywhere unusual for New Years Eve. In 1999 I did go to North Pole, Alaska to be with family. While not unusual, it was cold. It was minus 56 at midnight.

Extra Credit Question:
Any resolution I might come up with will be so far beyond the Resolution Fairy's ability to ensure success, that she might as well just stop in for a beer or two and then be on her way. If she actually tries to ensure success of one of my resolutions, she will end up being hauled off in a straight jacket. Since I have little to no chance of ever not breaking a resolution I do not come up with the usual run of the mill resolutions such as lose weight or save money. Some of my past resolutions have included to stow away on the space shuttle and to water ski behind an aircraft carrier.

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a regular looking house out of flowers and show the world that not everyone in Alaska lives in an igloo.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:27 AM

7,938 posts, read 7,769,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post

Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music? Nope.

Bonus Question:
Where did you spend your most unusual New Years Eve? A bowling alley, long ago.

Extra Credit Question:
The Resolution Fairy is coming to assure that your New Year's resolution will not be broken. What will it be? To do better in acknowledging others' birthdays. It's something I am terrible at.

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a blues-themed esemble out of flowers and show the world that I am serious about my user-name.
Good evening, everyone!

Old 12-27-2009, 04:45 AM

4,235 posts, read 3,583,667 times
Today's Question(s):

If I end up at the pub it will be live music, if I stay home it will be recorded.

Bonus Question:

I can't think of a really unusual one, I've spent a few on the beach at various locations, a couple on the slopes below a lighthouse on the coast of Queensland (that one was really good because I got to see all of the fireworks right down the coast). Many of them were spent at Sydney harbour of course. A lot of times out here in the bush they are not allowed to have fireworks because it is in peak bushfire season (that means total fire ban) which is a shame so we end up having to watch the Sydney ones on a big screen. So if any of those sound unusual you can pick that one. They all are pretty mundane to me though.

Extra Credit Question:

My resolutions for this year are to not waste so much time and to be more organised in my study and the other one I might keep to myself.

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a Southern Cross out of flowers and show the world that I am a proud Aussie.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:04 AM

1,991 posts, read 1,912,493 times
Today's Question(s):
Will your New Years Eve celebration involve dancing? If so to live or recorded music? I doubt it. We have a beautiful view of the fireworks that they set off here so will probably be sitting on our back porch.

Bonus Question:
Where did you spend your most unusual New Years Eve? I can't think of any that were unusual.

Extra Credit Question:

I'd like to be fluent in Spanish.

Just for Fun:
If I were putting a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade I would make a bill out of flowers and show the world that legislation can pass the smell test.

While visiting my ILs once we went to Pasadena to look at the floats. They were really beautiful but not worth the crowds and waiting in line.

Last edited by Sandhillian; 12-27-2009 at 05:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics