Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

Advertisements

Today's Question:

Are your presents still under the tree or have they all been put away ? ~ everything is still under the tree.

When do you "take down Christmas" ? ~ the tree will remain up for a while to enjoy.

Bonus Question:

Do you have your 2010 calender ? ~ I’ve got three of them.

Did you buy it or was it given to you ? ~ All were given to me from businesses that we deal with.

Extra Credit Question:

When you get a new electronic item or appliance, how long do you keep the boxes ? ~ I keep the boxes for months. You never know when you have to return the item because of an issue with the product and the box helps to do this. I also keep the paperwork that comes in the box for reference as well. Keeping the receipt is a standard thing with most any purchase of this type.

Just for Fun:

What is on your "To Do" list for today ? ~ My list is long and I’m between errands waiting for a serviceman to stop by and take care of the washer/dryer. I respect repairmen and their skills but I hate waiting for them to arrive. And it never fails that the day they are suppose to come, there’s so many other issues to deal with at the same time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Today's Question:

Are your presents still under the tree or have they all been put away ?
put away!!
When do you "take down Christmas" ?
After the first of the year sometime.
Bonus Question:

Do you have your 2010 calender ?
Probably.
Did you buy it or was it given to you ?
Given likely!

Extra Credit Question:

When you get a new electronic item or appliance, how long do you keep the boxes ?
Quite a while!!

Just for Fun:

What is on your "To Do" list for today ?
Nothing except going with youngest son to find a computer type fan for his SS receiver.

Today in History:
1869 - William Finley Semple of Mount Vernon, Ohio, patents chewing gum
1895 - World's 1st movie theater opens in Paris
1948 - U.S. announced a study to launch an Earth satellite
1958 - Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon and Theodore with David Seville) hit #1
1981 - Warner-Elektra-Atlantic raises price of 45 records from $1.68 to $1.98

Word of the Day

surreptitious \suhr-uhp-TISH-uhs; suh-rep-\ , adjective;
1. Done, made, or gotten by stealth.
2. Acting with or marked by stealth.
Sneaky!!

Today is:
National Chocolate Candy Day
National Quilter's Day
No Interruptions Day
Card Playing Day
Snap and Crack Your Gum Day
Call-a-Friend Day

Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Good morning everyone
Happy Monday

Brrr it is a brisk 43 degrees with a windchill of 38 here in NE FL. They are saying tomorrow we may have our first freeze

6 below tonight!

Hopefully I won't have to drag out the sheets to cover the plants

Looks like it may be time to break out the socks

Today's Question:

Put away

When do you "take down Christmas" ? Never. We don't put it up... Well the Xmas cards come down off the mantle eventually.

Bonus Question:

Do you have your 2010 calender ? Mrs. Tek gave me one for my wall! I still need the one for my office desk that I write on.

Did you buy it or was it given to you ? Yes, and yes.

Extra Credit Question:

When you get a new electronic item or appliance, how long do you keep the boxes ?

Forever or until the warranty runs out, whichever comes first.

Just for Fun:

I cleared the snow. Some private stuff with Mrs. Tek, play some video games, read. Tough day today.

Today in History:
1869 - William Finley Semple of Mount Vernon, Ohio, patents chewing gum. Oh, I just love Semple chewing gum! Yummy!
1895 - World's 1st movie theater opens in Paris
1948 - U.S. announced a study to launch an Earth satellite
1958 - Chipmunks (Alvin, Simon and Theodore with David Seville) hit #1
1981 - Warner-Elektra-Atlantic raises price of 45 records from $1.68 to $1.98

Word of the Day

surreptitious \suhr-uhp-TISH-uhs; suh-rep-\ , adjective;
1. Done, made, or gotten by stealth.
2. Acting with or marked by stealth.

Today is:
National Chocolate Candy Day Gimmee!
National Quilter's Day Beautiful work
No Interruptions Day Like that'll happen!
Card Playing Day Excellent idea
Snap and Crack Your Gum Day If I had some...
Call-a-Friend Day What am I to call them?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babble

Been a couple of days. Hi again!

We got more $%$#@^^%&^%& snow! A record for the most snow in December was set this year and if we get one more inch it will a record amount for any single month, ever!

Have I ever mentioned I hate winter?

You should have seen the end of our driveway. I did not take pictures, but I wish I had. The plows usually go down the other side of the street first so we get less of a pile, but this time they came down our side first. I think the mail people complained because they couldn't reach the mailboxes (other side of the street).

I'm 6'-2" and the pile was above my waist. And it wasn't just snow. In fact, most of it was big blocks of packed snow and ice. The neighbor to the east had a 5 foot pile at the west side of his drive and about 3 feet at the right. My trusty snow blower chewed it up and spit it out, but it was a lot of work pushing it into the pile. It's amazing how far a chunk of ice will fly out of a snow blower chute!

This was the worst we've had in the 22 years we have lived here.

So I got it mostly cleared out and we got another 2 inches of snow. I am sick and tired of snow and it's not even January yet.

Mrs. Tek announced that she has had enough. She tells me every year that she likes winter because it's pretty. This year she is singing a different tune. We will definitely be moving away from winter when we retire.

Our paper delivery person keeps pulling into our driveway and leaving packed snow/ice where the tires run. I called yesterday and told them he needed to stop doing it and the moron did it this morning. If he does it again I'm canceling the paper. I don't need the extra work to keep the driveway clean. Jerk. We've received the paper over 30 years non-stop and this is how they treat us.

After looking at this picture I realized it doesn't look like we have that much snow. There was a big melt-off between the two storms so half of it is gone.

Dex delivered our phone books. Usually they are on the porch. This year they were all lined up next to the mailboxes on the big piles of snow/ice.

Going to a Neurologist tomorrow to see if he can figure out why I hurt so much. Our doctor has given up trying to figure it out. It would be nice to live without pain for a while.

A report just came on the news that there were over 50 accidents during morning rush hour. I'm glad Mrs. Tek didn't work today.

I think our air travel is going to be more rare than before. All this crap they want us to do is getting ridiculous. You can't get up for the last hour of a flight? Give me a break. They have figured out that terrorists won't do anything before then? I swear we have the world's largest group of stupid people running Homeland Security. I wonder how many pregnant women are going to peeing in their seats?

Has anyone else noticed that they don't catch anyone even with all these rules and regulations in place? If it wasn't for the passengers on the plane on Christmas day the plane likely would have been destroyed. The reaction here? More restrictions. I am trying to understand why lax restrictions in Amsterdam should cause all this concern here. Just because they're lazy and do a sloppy job there doesn't mean they do here, or does it?

Anyway, I think I'll be driving even more. Keep in mind how many airplanes fly every day and how many have a problem. Here's the current number just for the U.S.

FlightAware - Free Flight Tracker / IFR Flight Status / Flight Tracking / Flight Planning

When I looked there were over 5,200 currently flying over the U.S. with over 100,000 world wide. That's just a snapshot of what's in the air now. You have to wonder how many for any 24 hour period, then multiply for a week, month, year.

And Homeland Security freaks out when one has a fruitcake on it.

The local equivalent? If a drunk is caught driving every person in the United States has to take a test before they can drive so the danger of a drunk hitting someone is (supposedly) eliminated.
How about being stopped at the end of your driveway to have your entire car inspected, get a pat down and have any cell phones or other items that can distract you from driving removed and tossed in a trash can.

Seriously, isn't this all getting just a bit carried away?

Our local cable company is resisting paying a higher rate for the channel that carries bowl games. They did this dance a few years ago. Blackmail. It wouldn't be a problem except our local governments allow a monopoly to exist. It's time to allow other companies in that carry cable services and get rid of these greedy jerks. I for one am tracking the advertisers on the channel in question and will not buy their products. I'm also going to call/write them and tell them why. I would consider going to Dish or DirectTV but they are worse than the cable company.

Everyone have a good day!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:54 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
Today's Question:

They're sitting in piles around my room. I need to put them away.

We never really put it up.

Bonus Question:

Yep, but I don't have my 2010 pocket planner yet, which I use more than a calender.

I bought it.

Extra Credit Question:

It depends on what it is, but I try to keep the boxes for at least 6 months.

Just for Fun:

Go grocery shopping, clean up my room a bit, got to work, maybe finish laundry.

Today is:
National Chocolate Candy Day
National Quilter's Day
No Interruptions Day
Card Playing Day
Snap and Crack Your Gum Day
Call-a-Friend Day

Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,439,670 times
Today's Question:

Are your presents still under the tree or have they all been put away ? No tree, but some of them are indeed still "under" the Hanukka "bush".

A pic from our old apartment:

When do you "take down Christmas" ? Some time after New Years

Bonus Question:

Do you have your 2010 calender ? I got one but I didn't like it so it went in the recycling.

Did you buy it or was it given to you ? Given to me.

Extra Credit Question:

When you get a new electronic item or appliance, how long do you keep the boxes ? Until I've used it at least once to be sure it works.

Just for Fun:

What is on your "To Do" list for today ? I spent 20 minutes in my gym riding the stationary bike, which I'm trying to make a daily habit at a minimum. Our neighbor and friend just stopped by to invite us to lunch, so we'll be joining her shortly, then after that, probably just hang out at home.

Hope everyone has a wonderful day!

Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times
Just for Fun:

What is on your "To Do" list for today ? Bathe 2 dogs, clean snake and frog cages. Then work out 2 hrs. This after ten hours at work!! I'll let you know if I survive!! I'll probably crash after cleaning cages!!

Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Today's Question:

They've all been put away. If I leave my presents somewhere else someone might think it's theirs and I don 't want that to happen because they're MINE, MINE, ALL MINE!!!....LOL.

Usually right after the New Year holiday.

Bonus Question:

Just on my PC. I only get a hang up calendar if it's a free one.

(see above)

Extra Credit Question:

I usually keep the box until I'm fairly certain the item is working okay and I won't need to return it so it just depends on the item and what kind of warranty it may have or the store's return policy is.

Just for Fun:

Now that my guests have all left I just need to do some cleaning up and some laundry.

Today is:
National Chocolate Candy Day- Now we're talking baby!!! Yippeeee!!!

Old 12-28-2009, 03:49 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
Just for Fun:

DD has gymnastics and then we are hoping to take DS to a botanical garden that has 30,000 varieties of orchids. (He loves plants.)
oops - I meant to say 30,000 orchids not varieties! Regardless, it didn't live up to its description!

Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post

Babble

Been a couple of days. Hi again!

We got more $%$#@^^%&^%& snow! A record for the most snow in December was set this year and if we get one more inch it will a record amount for any single month, ever!

Have I ever mentioned I hate winter?

You should have seen the end of our driveway. I did not take pictures, but I wish I had. The plows usually go down the other side of the street first so we get less of a pile, but this time they came down our side first. I think the mail people complained because they couldn't reach the mailboxes (other side of the street).

I'm 6'-2" and the pile was above my waist. And it wasn't just snow. In fact, most of it was big blocks of packed snow and ice. The neighbor to the east had a 5 foot pile at the west side of his drive and about 3 feet at the right. My trusty snow blower chewed it up and spit it out, but it was a lot of work pushing it into the pile. It's amazing how far a chunk of ice will fly out of a snow blower chute!

This was the worst we've had in the 22 years we have lived here.

So I got it mostly cleared out and we got another 2 inches of snow. I am sick and tired of snow and it's not even January yet.

Mrs. Tek announced that she has had enough. She tells me every year that she likes winter because it's pretty. This year she is singing a different tune. We will definitely be moving away from winter when we retire.

Our paper delivery person keeps pulling into our driveway and leaving packed snow/ice where the tires run. I called yesterday and told them he needed to stop doing it and the moron did it this morning. If he does it again I'm canceling the paper. I don't need the extra work to keep the driveway clean. Jerk. We've received the paper over 30 years non-stop and this is how they treat us.

After looking at this picture I realized it doesn't look like we have that much snow. There was a big melt-off between the two storms so half of it is gone.

Dex delivered our phone books. Usually they are on the porch. This year they were all lined up next to the mailboxes on the big piles of snow/ice.

I'll have to put a barrel outside in my backyard here in Phoenix, in the middle of July, when the high temperature can get up to 118 degrees (8% humidity) in the afternoon, and pack some of that heat in there, then mail it to you next December when you get snowed in.. That'll definitely melt the snow in your driveway faster than you can remove it with a snow plow..

Old 12-28-2009, 04:54 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,004,457 times
After two days of unseasonable warm weather that melted almost all the snow up here......it is snowing pretty hard. I dont mind it a bit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics