Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 08:19 AM

9,718 posts, read 6,416,073 times

Advertisements

Good morning and thanks SCG for the QOTD

Today’s Questions:

What are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see changed in 2010? mostly everything

On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010? not much

Bonus Question:

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution? nothing, zero, zip

When will you start working toward your 2010 New Year’s Resolution? Or have you already? see above

Extra Credit Question:

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows? Yea, MS, bring on the virus

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to Alaska before? no, too cold

If yes, how did you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 08:20 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN2CO View Post
I just can't believe the temps you've been having - FL I heard this a.m. on the news that people in FL spray water on the trees, etc... when the weather turns this cold. "They" say, it actually keeps the plants/trees warm when the frost hits. I almost believe this - if we don't have a good snow cover, some plants etc.. will die
"Icing" of trees is something the professional citrus farmers have done.

Unless it is done under controlled conditions it can kill the plants

I have, when we have had a heavy frost , gone out and "washed" the frost off before it was able to do any damage.

We do get a few amateurs that ice their plants but this is usually because they forget to turn off their irrigation systems

woo hoo it has warmed up to a "toasty" 33, W/C is up to 26 !!!!

I was loving the heated seats in the car this morning !!!

Old 01-03-2010, 08:31 AM

17,833 posts, read 33,113,982 times
Before I get ready to watch the game

Today’s Questions:

What are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see changed in 2010?

This may sound weird, but I really want to make an effort to try and do something nice for myself every once in awhile this year.

On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010?

I wold love to see the continued success for our fundraisers, hopefully we can raise even more money to make a difference in even more kids lives

Bonus Question:

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution?

ummmm

When will you start working toward your 2010 New Year’s Resolution? Or have you already?

Other than getting into the new work out room at least a hour a day I have to think on this

Extra Credit Question:

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows?

The new computer I got for Christmas has the window 7 thingy

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to Alaska before?

Oh Yes !!! Went on a cruise 2 years ago for my 50th birthday and our 4th anniversary

Loved it !! How could we not of had a terrific time hanging out with Rance & Sweden. As a matter of fact we had more fun with them the day& a half we hung out than on the cruise.

“Because I’m Suncoast Guy” Question:
Last Tuesday in my “Did you know…?” thread, we found out that 52% of Americans drink coffee.

Do you drink coffee?

No if it only tasted as good as it smells

If yes, is it Regular, Decaf, or other?

Diet pepsi is my "coffee" I drink caffeine free

Caffeine + Karla = wound up crazy

Old 01-03-2010, 08:33 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,448,185 times
Default Fruitcake Toss Day? To whom does one toss the thing?

What a hoot! Some pretty decent things to commemorate on a January the third.

Now, where to begin?

Most certainly, I drink coffee.
Black with one sweetener. Two cups in the morning, and then generally none throughout the rest of the day, unless it's decaf. Occasionally, I'll do an iced coffee drink -- the ones made like icees, and usually a mocha. Loved 'em until I learned how many calories can be in one. Sheesh, just have a big bowl of ice cream while you're at it.

How many of you got to drink coffee as a kid? and when did you cross the line, and could have the stuff regularly? Marked you as an 'adult,' and I'll bet you didn't even realize it.

My Grandmother made us a cup of hot milk and sugar, with just enough coffee in it to flavor and color it. Made us feel oh-so-special and grown-up. I guess I started drinking it regularly by the end of HS, or the advent of college. Even then, it had to have cream and sugar in it.

2009 behind me, and looking into 2010:
Boy, I'd like to think the recession is fast coming-to-an-end, but I don't see the signs yet. This is far worse than any recession I've been through before, and while I can't 'compare,' I have a new appreciation for my predecessors' tales of the Depression, and some of their little quirks as a result. Things in Grandmother's fridge had to literally r-o-t before it was thrown out, and Granddaddy kept every pair of shoes he ever owned.

I'd really like to see us start driving more gas-economizing vehicles. We didn't learn much from the early 1970s, did we? (Well, some. My sister thinks she HAS to drive a Chevy Suburban. NOT.)

New Year's Resolutions? Honestly, I just quit making them a number of years back. What's the point? Some things get better; others get worse, and darned if my intentions aren't always good. I just decided to quit beating myself up over a resolution, and that seems to be the best one I've ever made, and been able to keep.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:40 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
FESTIVAL OF SLEEP DAY

It is better to sleep on things beforehand than lie awake about them afterward.
Baltasar Gracian

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one.
Leo J. Burke

Old 01-03-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Too daggone many questions. . .

Use a laptop with Windows.

Occasionally, still want to throw the silly thing across a room. I am SO 'puter challenged! Spent the better part of a whole day trying to log-on, only to have my neighbor show me some little button on the side of the laptop that had been switched 'off?' Now how was I supposed to know that? and WHO did it? I've yet to figure-out what somebody did to my sound.

Alaska is on my like-to-see-before-I-go list. Is that what a 'bucket list' is? Cute movie, if you didn't see it, featuring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman. I'd also like to cruise the Greek Isles, see the big game in Kenya, and go to India.

OK. Hopefully, I got them all covered. I'm so OCD sometimes until I feel like I have to answer every question, including Parts A, B, C and D.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:44 AM

Oh, so true about the sleeping like a bebe.

Old 01-03-2010, 08:52 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Good morning Suncoast.....thanks for doing the QOTD!

Today’s Questions:

What are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see changed in 2010?
Most of the worst things that happened to members of my family have already been changed. LOL.... So I got nothin'!

On the flip side, what are some things that happened in 2009 that you would like to see continue in 2010? I'd like to see the problems that resolved themselves in 2009, continue to be nonexistant in 2010. Could that be more vague? LOL

Bonus Question:

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution? Nada

When will you start working toward your 2010 New Year’s Resolution? Or have you already?
See above! LOL

Extra Credit Question:

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows? I'm Windows all the way. To be honest...if someone gave me a new Apple...hehe....I'd probably be an apple person.

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to Alaska before? Not me, but hubby has several time....we have pictures!

If yes, how did you like it? I loved the pictures! LOL I hated him being gone for so long.

Last Tuesday in my “Did you know…?” thread, we found out that 52% of Americans drink coffee.

Do you drink coffee? Oh yeah, I am a big time coffee drinker. It's the FIRST thing I do in the morning.....start that pot of Folgers!

If yes, is it Regular, Decaf, or other? Definitely Regular...I wouldn't bother with decaf....and I CAN tell the difference in taste! LOL

Old 01-03-2010, 09:04 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,722,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
What a hoot! Some pretty decent things to commemorate on a January the third.

Now, where to begin?

Most certainly, I drink coffee. Black with one sweetener. Two cups in the morning, and then generally none throughout the rest of the day, unless it's decaf. Occasionally, I'll do an iced coffee drink -- the ones made like icees, and usually a mocha. Loved 'em until I learned how many calories can be in one. Sheesh, just have a big bowl of ice cream while you're at it.

How many of you got to drink coffee as a kid? and when did you cross the line, and could have the stuff regularly? Marked you as an 'adult,' and I'll bet you didn't even realize it.

My Grandmother made us a cup of hot milk and sugar, with just enough coffee in it to flavor and color it. Made us feel oh-so-special and grown-up. I guess I started drinking it regularly by the end of HS, or the advent of college. Even then, it had to have cream and sugar in it.

2009 behind me, and looking into 2010: Boy, I'd like to think the recession is fast coming-to-an-end, but I don't see the signs yet. This is far worse than any recession I've been through before, and while I can't 'compare,' I have a new appreciation for my predecessors' tales of the Depression, and some of their little quirks as a result. Things in Grandmother's fridge had to literally r-o-t before it was thrown out, and Granddaddy kept every pair of shoes he ever owned.

I'd really like to see us start driving more gas-economizing vehicles. We didn't learn much from the early 1970s, did we? (Well, some. My sister thinks she HAS to drive a Chevy Suburban. NOT.)

New Year's Resolutions? Honestly, I just quit making them a number of years back. What's the point? Some things get better; others get worse, and darned if my intentions aren't always good. I just decided to quit beating myself up over a resolution, and that seems to be the best one I've ever made, and been able to keep.
You mean the adults didn't tell you it would stunt your growth!? LOL Mine did...and it also showed me that my parents A)DIDN'T know what they were talking about or B) were liars. LOL I was nearly 5'9" tall by the 8th grade!! ...the tallest kid in my jr. high...being female just made it harder to deal with. LOL Clearly, I would have had to drink a lot more coffee!?

Last edited by beachmel; 01-03-2010 at 09:32 AM..

Old 01-03-2010, 09:09 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,004,101 times
Bonus Question:

Refresh us... what was your 2010 New Year's Resolution? To never make New Year's Resolutions

Extra Credit Question:

Do you use an Apple Computer or a computer with Microsoft Windows? Windows

Just for Fun:

Have you ever been to Alaska before? nope, but an Alaskan cruise sounds fun one day

Do you drink coffee? yes

If yes, is it Regular, Decaf, or other? regular
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics