U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:50 PM

4,379 posts, read 4,280,985 times

Advertisements

I like sports like any other guy does. I like to listen to music a lot, go to the gym, watch films and have lots of so-called "normal" or usual interests.

But I also love reading books on politics, economics, marketing and other social sciences. I go wild at information technology too.

If you knew a guy (or woman) who had part "normal" interests and part geek/nerd interests, what would you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 07:59 PM

213 posts, read 498,397 times
Why is reading books "on politics, economics, marketing and other social sciences" a nerdy behavior? Your question is without any foundation.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM

20,071 posts, read 13,773,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I like sports like any other guy does. I like to listen to music a lot, go to the gym, watch films and have lots of so-called "normal" or usual interests.

But I also love reading books on politics, economics, marketing and other social sciences. I go wild at information technology too.

If you knew a guy (or woman) who had part "normal" interests and part geek/nerd interests, what would you think?

I'd think you were a pretty great fella or gal!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

5,879 posts, read 7,699,386 times
Quote:

You are normal buddy! Rugged is not! While you guys are watching a football game, Rugged is on the range, fishing, practicing guitar, working on a car etc...... etc.... My BIL is into traditional sports and watches them all the time. Personally I am into more hands on stuff. Oh, the only weird/nerdy thing I do is get on here!LOL...... JK It is fun!

Old 01-14-2010, 08:05 PM

8,882 posts, read 13,863,945 times
"Normal" is relative but I think I get what you mean. I'd think it's pretty cool.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:11 PM

15,088 posts, read 16,956,110 times
I don't see any problems here...

Old 01-14-2010, 10:23 PM

8,516 posts, read 3,817,915 times
Quote:

Doesn't even remotely qualify as geek/nerdy. A couple examples of Geek/Nerd interests are Star Trek--to the point believing its real, wearing the uniform,etc, or playing fantasy games such as Dungeons and Dragons, or excessive video game playing. (A quick aside here, I once worked with a guy who dressed in a Star Trek uniform EVERYDAY. He wasn't around there very long.)

Old 01-14-2010, 10:34 PM

522 posts, read 1,209,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easybreezy View Post
Doesn't even remotely qualify as geek/nerdy. A couple examples of Geek/Nerd interests are Star Trek--to the point believing its real, wearing the uniform,etc, or playing fantasy games such as Dungeons and Dragons, or excessive video game playing. (A quick aside here, I once worked with a guy who dressed in a Star Trek uniform EVERYDAY. He wasn't around there very long.)
I'm sorry but that's a tween/teens idea of what "geek/nerd" is.

Geek and nerd isn't the same thing.

A geek is usually someone who's very tech savvy. Yes, geek is often use with "Trekkies" and people who RP but those people tend to be techy savvy so it makes since.

A nerd is someone who's very bookish or very knowledgeable in the areas of science and social science.

Playing video games doesn't qualify as being a geek or nerd. If it were more men would be considered geeks and nerds. Have you ever tried to pry a guy away from the TV screen when he's in the middle of playing God of War or Halo? My boyfriend and his friends' computer skills are moderate, and they rarely ever pick up a book that they don't have to. So no they're neither geeky or nerdy, and yet when they get started on a game they can go on for hours, even days.
My friends (female) even get into it. They play fantasy football like their life depends on it. Me, I don't get it. I like books.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
"Normal" is relative but I think I get what you mean.
Ditto on this. "Normal" is relative.
I view someone with multiple interests in different areas as normal. Now, if I met someone who's interests revolved around only a few related areas than I'd probably view them as a tad abnormal.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:50 PM
Ep-

2,069 posts, read 3,544,017 times
i keep my interests varied

for nerdy stuff i love videogames, fantasy books and computers/technology

i also love sports, music, concerts, booze/bars, photography, gym, etc.

shrug

Old 01-14-2010, 10:53 PM

12,977 posts, read 28,838,551 times
I agree with the other poster in that geeks and nerds are different, but they do share many of the same characteristics. Geeks/Nerds to me are Role Players, Trekees, talk about "the force", love ren fairs, etc.

I guess Im a bit different than a lot of guys because:

I really ONLY like boxing and football.
I love my Lakers, but HATE Kobe Bryant and have no real interest in any other NBA basketball.
Dont like music unless its blues, Rage Against The Machine, some alternative and very few hip hop.

Closest thing that I have to being geeky/nerdy is:

I LOVE reading and studying eastern thought/philosophy.
I can play Modern Warefare 2 for hours and hours.

Thats about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or