Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 11:26 AM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdinia View Post
good morning. Power outages do not make it very easy to "play" on the internet. We finally got rid of the ice off the trees and power lines! That is such a good thing!

today's question(s):

the “shopping spree fairy” is paying you a visit today! She is coming to give you a unlimited shopping spree to any one store you want.

what store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at? depends - do i have to pay the taxes, insurance and such on what i get? If so, i will stick to either books or clothes.

anything special you plan to get there? if all expenses are paid - then i would like a few old school cars. Chevelles, corvettes, camaros... And maybe a new suv or 2 (one for dh and one for me). Or a real estate "store".......

bonus question:

have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it? if it didn't work/fit correctly or broke right away - yes.

extra credit question:
in honor of “national compliment day”:

is there a poster here on city-data that you would like to give a compliment to? the qotd crew! The mods and many of the other topics players.

just for fun:

when was the last time you wanted to tell somebody... “just do it!”? wanted to... Hmmm.... Oh! friday! :d

just a few pics to entertain you....
hope everyone has a great day!
Nice pictures hdinia, thanks for sharing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 11:31 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times
Thank you Suncoast Guy for a wonderful QOTD! I'm looking forward to reading everyone's answers later when we get back from running around. My Dad is here and wants to go wander around the huge Bass Pro Shop (and drool) lol....

Today's Question(s):

The “Shopping Spree Fairy” is paying you a visit today! She is coming to give you a unlimited shopping spree to any one store you want.

What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at?

Wow, SO many I could think of but for some reason COSTCO comes to mind

Anything special you plan to get there?

A bunch of nice furniture, loads of groceries (halibut & filets!!) clothes, new pots & pans...oh sheesh....I'll take the whole store!

Bonus Question:

Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it?
Many many times. Not purposely though.

Extra Credit Question:
In honor of “National Compliment Day”:

Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to?

MWBW, for her beautiful writing & excellent grammar

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you wanted to tell somebody... “Just do it!”?

Myself -all the time

Today in History:
1901 1st games played in baseball's American League
1902 Denmark sells Virgin Islands to USA
1922 Eskimo Pie patented by Christian K Nelson of Iowa
1935 1st canned beer, "Krueger Cream Ale," is sold by Kruger Brewing Co
1958 After warming to 100,000,000ø, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion
1964 24th Amendment to US Constitution goes into effect
1984 The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale.
1991 "Les Miserables" opens at Theatre St Denis, Montreal
1994 Dow Jones closes above 3,900 for 1st time (3,914.48)

Word of the Day:
embargo • \im-BAHR-goh\ • noun
1 : an order of a government prohibiting the departure of commercial ships from its port.
*2 : a legal prohibition on commerce
3 : stoppage, impediment; especially : prohibition

Today is:
Belly Laugh Day
National Compliment Day
"Just Do It" Day
National Peanut Butter Day
Lobster Thermidor Day
Beer Can Appreciation Day

This Week is:
Healthy Weight Week
Hunt For Happiness Week
National Creative Frugality Week
National Meat Week
Kiss A Shark Week
National Take Back Your Time Week[/quote]

Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
The “Shopping Spree Fairy” is paying you a visit today! She is coming to give you a unlimited shopping spree to any one store you want.

What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at?

The most expensive store I can find.

Anything special you plan to get there?

The most expensive items I can find. Then I'm going to sell them and buy a nice house in a warmer climate.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it?

Only if it didn't work as advertised. I'll take a trade if they have one that does work.

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to?

Just one? That's tough. Top of my list: Karla for the QOTD and Younglisa7 for the wild rides in Tennessee and now Florida. If I thought longer than 10 seconds my list would grow exponentially. There are so many great posters here!

And to all those who have the good taste to rep me!

Just for Fun:

The first Zip Liner in Roatan. They were hesitant to jump off the platform. Not that I blame them...

Today in History:
1922 Eskimo Pie patented by Christian K Nelson of Iowa In the middle of one of our freezing cold winters of course. Now we know where the inspiration came.
1935 1st canned beer, "Krueger Cream Ale," is sold by Kruger Brewing Co. When's the last time you had a Krueger's?
1958 After warming to 100,000,000ø, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion 52 years and they still can't create a sustained reaction. Somebody's goofing off!

Word of the Day:
1 : an order of a government prohibiting the departure of commercial ships from its port.

Our toilet was under an embargo a while back. I broke the blockade, though.

Today is:
Belly Laugh Day I try for one of these every day. Both receiving and giving. "Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."
National Compliment Day. You are such a wonderful person. Keep up the good work.
"Just Do It" Day (Note to snow: Just do it! Melt dammit!)
National Peanut Butter Day. Sara Lee muffins with creamy for Mrs. Tek and Crunchy for me almost every Sunday AM
Lobster Thermidor Day You can have mine. I'll take a good steak.
Beer Can Appreciation Day I appreciate them full and empty for different reasons...

This Week is:
Healthy Weight Week My weight is NOT healthy. While I don't look obese my fat percentage has soared since my illness last summer.
Hunt For Happiness Week Shhhh. Be vewy, vewy quiet.
National Creative Frugality Week We saved a ton of money by not going to the Saturday matinee in 3D of Avatar! We are aiming for a week night.
National Meat Week Bring it on! Yummy!
Kiss A Shark Week. We kissed a Stingray on our last cruise
National Take Back Your Time Week It is amazing how time we can waste if we aren't careful

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babble

Weather-wise we got lucky yesterday. The expected heavy rain with possible thunderstorms did not happen. We did get some fairly heavy rain in the morning, but not what they thought we might. On the plus side it was warm enough that, with some ice melt applied, our driveway is clear to the edge of the street. Now I can walk down it without the need to put on the *** Trax.
Of course we have snow coming tonight/tomorrow so I left them where they are handy.

Been a slow few days, which is going to change. I've got some good-sized projects coming up that will keep me busy. One of them is going to fun. A new laptop, new printer, new desktop for a server. Probably change internet providers as their current one doesn't seem to be doing a very good job. Back up the server to the internet using either Mozy Pro or Carbonite and add GoToMyPC to it for access from the other side of the country.

I really enjoy this type of work because I take a system that is working poorly, and replace it with one that hums along, making their jobs much easier.
This is what trips my trigger.

The 1st I'm upgrading 9 PC's from QuickBooks 8 to 10, which requires a mid step to 9 (I can't find anything that says I can skip 9, but I'm not done looking, either) which will take most of the day. It will be nice to have them up to the current version.

We broke out Ratchet and Clank Future Tools of Destruction for the PS3 last night, and it was a blast! If you have the PS3 you should try one of the Ratchet and Clank games.

I've been pushing myself to get off my duff and do things. It's not easy. I am still suffering from a lack of energy, but I've decided that pushing myself might help with muscle tone and that should help get me up and at 'em. I have an appointment this week for the tests on my muscles and nerves that is supposed to tell the the neurosurgeon something (or not) and one the week after with my regular doctor about the blood pressure meds. This all started when I began those meds and everyone said I would adjust. It's been 1 1/2 years and I'm not adjusting. Having Shingles last summer just made it worse.

This too shall pass.

Mrs. Tek is telling her employees this week when she is retiring. They are not going to be happy. I know her manager isn't.

Enjoy your day!

Old 01-24-2010, 03:13 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Today's Question(s):
What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at? Anything special you plan to get there?
The "store" I'll visit is an automall. Lesse... We'll need an suv, not just for styling, but for carrying stuff and people too.
And at least one American sports car....Corvette? Camaro? Mustang? Why not one of each!

Extra Credit Question:
In honor of “National Compliment Day”: Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to?
I compliment CDers with rep points.

Just for Fun:
When cast for a Nike ad....Not!

Today in History:
1902 Denmark sells Virgin Islands to USA suckers

Today is:
Belly Laugh Day every day is a good day for a good laugh
Lobster Thermidor Day
not to be confused with lobster thermostat

Old 01-24-2010, 03:46 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,856,055 times
Today in History:
1901 1st games played in baseball's American League - And that was probably when the first base-brawl happened!
1902 Denmark sells Virgin Islands to USA - In today's real estate market, it would have taken much longer to sell... I wonder if it was because Denmark foreclosed on it? I went to the Virgin Islands to find a wife, but there weren't any virgins... so I think the name is a little deceptive...
1922 Eskimo Pie patented by Christian K Nelson of Iowa - And all that time I thought it was patented by an Eskimo..
1964 24th Amendment to US Constitution goes into effect - I'd like to see an amendment to preserve the Second Amendment..
1984 The first Apple Macintosh goes on sale. - Hmm... Are they still on sale?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:01 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
[quote=Suncoast Guy;12585148]Good Sunday everyone! Today is Sunday, January 24, 2010... the 24th day of the year. There are 341 days remaining until the end of the year.

Well I am very happy to announce that I get to be today's "Guest Host!" Eh, stop booing... it's only for one day! (I'm kidding!!) I'm glad to be here, but I'm not going to chit chat your heads off today. I do have a heart on Sundays! So let's just move on to the reason you are all here...[quote]

Today's Question(s):

What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at? Intrex Computers

Anything special you plan to get there? This sounds silly but I bought a really cool PC cabinet about 3 yrs ago and it has sat empty because I push other projects in front of it. So the answer would be all the parts I need to build my PC

Bonus Question:

Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it? Yes, but only because I was truly unsatisfied with it.

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to? To all those who tolerate my pointless ramblings (they know who they are).

Just for Fun:

Today in History:
1935 1st canned beer, "Krueger Cream Ale," is sold by Kruger Brewing Co
1958 After warming to 100,000,000ø, 2 light atoms are bashed together to create a heavier atom, resulting in 1st man-made nuclear fusion

Word of the Day:

Today is:
Belly Laugh Day
National Compliment Day
"Just Do It" Day
National Peanut Butter Day- Yea, I made a fresh batch last week.
Lobster Thermidor Day- Wth
Beer Can Appreciation Day- Beer still comes in cans?

This Week is:
Healthy Weight Week- Uh-oh
Hunt For Happiness Week- Uh-oh
National Creative Frugality Week
National Meat Week
Kiss A Shark Week
National Take Back Your Time Week

Old 01-24-2010, 05:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,840 times

What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at?Neiman Marcus.

Anything special you plan to get there? Diamonds and furs.

Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it? Sure, a few times. But never swimsuits or underwear.

[b]Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to? Dbl-r for his thoughtful and inspiring posts.

When was the last time you wanted to tell somebody... “Just do it!”?My husband at around 11:30 last night.

Old 01-24-2010, 05:52 PM

25,449 posts, read 11,726,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8doglove View Post
Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to? Dbl-r for his thoughtful and inspiring posts.
Yes, he does have some very interesting posts as well as some very nice pictures! Good choice.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:11 PM

3,455 posts, read 2,786,183 times
forgive me.... it's been busy .. anyone ready for a Emily photo?

Today's Question(s):

What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at? probably Lowe's

Anything special you plan to get there? no... just plenty to finish my projects

Bonus Question:

Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it? only if it was defective

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to? not me

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you wanted to tell somebody... “Just do it!”? happens often at work...

Old 01-24-2010, 08:07 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
[quote=Suncoast Guy;12585148]

Today's Question(s):

What store will you be enjoying your shopping spree at? Probably Faux Effects . com

Anything special you plan to get there? Faux finishing products, Gold label.

Bonus Question:

Have you ever returned an item to a store for a refund after having used it? Yes. If it doesn't work right, you betcha!

Extra Credit Question:

Is there a poster here on City-Data that you would like to give a compliment to? Haven't browsed in a month, so I have no clue.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you wanted to tell somebody... “Just do it!”? Yesterday cleaning my dads work room out.

National Creative Frugality Week <----My FAVORITE thing to do!!!! Be Junk Art Queen!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics