Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2010, 11:06 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,832 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all, and happy Sunday from your guest host! I can’t believe that we’re at the end of February already – seems like just yesterday that we were putting Christmas decorations away. But the calendar tells me that we’re about to flip the page over to March, so that must mean that spring can’t be too far off, even though it’s still below freezing in south-central Wisconsin. And before I freeze my tootsies any further, let’s dive on into:

Today’s Question(s):

Do you expect March to come in like a lion or like a lamb in your neck of the woods?

Bonus Question:

Since today is the 75th anniversary of the discovery of nylon, ladies, when was the last time you wore a pair of nylons?

Extra Credit Question:

Did you watch any of the Olympic competitions over the past two weeks?

Which of the events did you find the most interesting, exciting or otherwise moving?

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you had a bowl of chili?

Today in History:
– Westminster Abbey opens
1854 – The Republican Party was formally organized, in Ripon, Wisconsin
1933 – The first female cabinet member was appointed: Francis Perkins was named Secretary of Labor
1935 – Nylon was discovered by Dr. Wallace H. Carothers
1976 – Mr. BookWorm took Miss ShyGirl out on their first date

Word of the Day:
Emunctory
\ĭ-mŭngk-tƏ-rē\ adjective
Pertaining to blowing one’s nose

Today is:
The final day of the 2010 Winter Olympics
Purim
International Sword Swallower’s Day
Spay Day USA
National Chili Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 11:14 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Today’s Question(s):

Do you expect March to come in like a lion or like a lamb in your neck of the woods?
Lamb!!
Bonus Question:

Since today is the 75th anniversary of the discovery of nylon, ladies, when was the last time you wore a pair of nylons?

Extra Credit Question:

Nope!!
Which of the events did you find the most interesting, exciting or otherwise moving?

Just for Fun:

month or so maybe
Today in History:
1933 – The first female cabinet member was appointed: Francis Perkins was named Secretary of Labor
1976 – Mr. BookWorm took Miss ShyGirl out on their first date Gutsy son of a gun!!

Word of the Day:
Emunctory
Eww!!
Today is:
The final day of the 2010 Winter Olympics
Purim
Spay Day USA
National Chili Day

Old 02-27-2010, 11:21 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Woohoo! One of the first replies today!!!

Today’s Question(s):

Do you expect March to come in like a lion or like a lamb in your neck of the woods? I'm hoping for Lamb. I've had enough of winter this year.

Bonus Question:

Since today is the 75th anniversary of the discovery of nylon, ladies, when was the last time you wore a pair of nylons? Ladies only? Darn!

Extra Credit Question:

Did you watch any of the Olympic competitions over the past two weeks? Not a big fan of the Olympics, but I did watch a little.

Which of the events did you find the most interesting, exciting or otherwise moving? The first thing I saw was the initial video of the Georgian luge athlete that crashed and died (RIP). I was very entertained by Curling and SkiCross.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you had a bowl of chili? Ya' know? It's been years! Not a big fan of chili.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:36 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,372,237 times
Today’s Question(s):

Do you expect March to come in like a lion or like a lamb in your neck of the woods?Lion

Bonus Question:

Since today is the 75th anniversary of the discovery of nylon, ladies, when was the last time you wore a pair of nylons? no clue!

Extra Credit Question:

Did you watch any of the Olympic competitions over the past two weeks?YES

Which of the events did you find the most interesting, exciting or otherwise moving?The opening ceremony, ice skating

Just for Fun:

can't remember.

Today in History:
1976 – Mr. BookWorm took Miss ShyGirl out on their first date

Word of the Day:
Emunctory

Today is:
The final day of the 2010 Winter Olympicslooking forward to watching the closing ceremony
Purim
Spay Day USA
National Chili Day[/quote]

Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
What a nice surprise and since I'm up...
Good job sitting in Karla's seat Bookworm!
Today’s Question(s):

Do you expect March to come in like a lion or like a lamb in your neck of the woods? I will guess in like a lamb, but around here the weather is so unpredictable it's anybodys guess.

Bonus Question:

Years really. I think the last time may have been at a wedding.

Extra Credit Question:

Did you watch any of the Olympic competitions over the past two weeks? A bit, but I had bad timing finding the event I wanted to watch.

Which of the events did you find the most interesting, exciting or otherwise moving? Would have been figure skating, but I missed most of it.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you had a bowl of chili? I make it all the time, but now that I think about it, it's been a while.

Have a wonderfully relaxing Sunday everyone!!

Old 02-27-2010, 11:40 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Hello all. Monday looks pretty good but Tuesday we may have a rain/snow mix in the Atlanta area. Right now I don't think it will accumulate but that may change. I guess I will have to choose a little of both?!

Nylons . . . December . I volunteer at the Governor's Mansion, although I have cut back a bit, and always wear hose there.

Olympic viewing? I have watched every moment at night and many afternoons. I've always loved the Olympics. It was a great thrill to see them in Atlanta in 1996. I would like to attend a Winter Olympics someday.

It's hard to choose one favorite Olympic event. Figure skating and alpine skiing are always favorites, but I generally watch everything. This was a short two weeks and I will miss the Olympics when they are over tonight.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:54 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,597 times
Today’s Question(s):

I suppose this saying could relate to the seasons down this way too. Given the forecast for the first few days of March here in Perth - mid-30s (Celsius) - high 90's in your language - you could say it's coming in like an African Lion (think: Africa ... hot). Then hopefully by the time the month is over, these unpleasantly hot days will be history and March will go out on a more pleasant note.

Bonus Question:

Can't even remember. Perth isn't exactly nylon weather, even in winter. Would rather wear pants then anyway.

I actually do buy nylons though, the cheapest ones I can find - and cut them up to use as ties in the garden. They're nice and soft so they don't bruise or cut delicate plants. It's often windy here so tying up plants is a necessity when they're little.

Extra Credit Question:

A little. The coverage is terrible on the free-to-air channel here. They tend to focus too much on Australian athletes and since Australians don't do winter sports, the depth of coverage is rather poor. If we'd paid extra to the cable company we could have got better coverage but we didn't feel like paying even more than we already do to them. Seemed like a rip-off. We don't watch all that much TV anyway.

Hockey, snowboarding, freestyle skiing, ski-jumping.

Just for Fun:

I love chili! Last time was a few months ago, when the weather was cooler. It'd be the last thing I'd want today! 95F here in Perth. I'd look like this: literally! And feel like this:

Word of the Day:
Emunctory \ĭ-mŭngk-tƏ-rē\ adjective
Wow, such a posh word for blowing your schnoz!

Today is:
The final day of the 2010 Winter Olympics - Wow! Already?
Purim Happy Purim!
International Sword Swallower’s Day Uh, no thanks
Spay Day USA - not exactly a day of celebration for pets, I wouldn't think
National Chili Day - Yummmmmm! But not for a while around here.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:57 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today’s Question(s):

March has been pretty calm the past few years. I think we are due for it to come in like a lion.

Bonus Question:

Alright...I get to skip this question.

Extra Credit Question:

I only watched a little of the Olympics this year.

The one event you never hear mentioned when people are discussing the Olympics was the one I watched the most...Curling.

Just for Fun:

Has been many years.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:42 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Happy first date anniversary MWBW and thanks for filling in for Karla.

Lion then if the lamb comes I will be more surprised. Actually we haven't had a deep severe winter for awhile so.......................
Last week at 2 funerals before that over a year.

Bobsled, figure skating, luge top 3 but we watch it all but hockey.

Last week that is a must have in our house at least once a month.

Hope Hawaii & Chile folks are safer now prayers for all.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:08 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,328,000 times
I have no expectations of March, so I am going with "come in like a lion" and I have not worn nylons in the form of pantyhose in over 10 years. I was liberated, but sometimes I do wear knee hi's if my attire demands it. I didn't really watch the Olympics, but I saw portions on the news. I thought the male speed ice skating was interesting and the figure skating. I think I had a bowl of chili about 2 weeks ago. Thank u Midwest... Happy Good Sunday yall...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics