U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:36 AM

40 posts, read 63,849 times

Advertisements

I used to love the pen pals we would have in other states or countries when I was going to school. Every year in elementary school we would get a chance to make and write a pen pal. I guess in this day and time that people rarely write to each other, it's all on email or im or text messaging. I'm one of those few left that truly enjoy writing and receiving a hand written note or letter from a friend. What do you think? Anyone out there still keep in touch by writing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 12:46 AM

485 posts, read 1,165,776 times
Just this year the students in a couple of grades in our school in Texas wrote to pen pals in New York. It is a truly neat thing and its great for them to get experience writing real pen and paper letters.

Old 06-03-2007, 12:53 AM

8,421 posts, read 14,348,484 times
I'm afraid letter writing is a dying art. I haven't known anyone who wrote letters since my grandmother died.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:20 AM

15,007 posts, read 25,327,670 times
I still handwrite letters. I think typing and printing out is lame. When I write a letter to someone...it's gonna be real.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:29 AM

15,237 posts, read 25,499,148 times
I try to maintain several penpal relationships with prison inmates.

NOT!!!!!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:26 AM

1,933 posts, read 5,686,020 times
I had my class last year become penpals with another 1st grade class.

I remember doing it when I was a child-I think Ihad two penpals. Maybe it's a child thing?

Old 06-03-2007, 06:59 AM

17,977 posts, read 17,687,243 times
you guys are my penpals....on the keyboard....gotta get that wpm up, so that when i ever move and I interview.... oh yea bay-bee look at her go on that keyboard! Dats right!

Old 06-03-2007, 02:42 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,371,207 times
I had met a woman (I'm also a woman!) on a message board about 5 years back. We started e-mailing each other, then IMing each other. We did the Christmas card thing, we wrote everyday for about 3 years. I always had only 1 e-mail address, but she had 2 due to different interent providers. Well, one day my e-mail comes back undeliverable...on both her accounts. I thought..OK, we are moving on to another provider...well I never heard from again. I do miss her, I have her address but I'm not sure what happened and obviously she wanted to stop the whole thing, so why contact her.
I'm still miffed as to what happened.

I do remember having pen pals with kids I met on vacation. One I wrote to from about age 8 till we both got married in the same year. Then we lost touch. Those were hand written letters.
I do agree with Rance...their is nothing like a handwritten letter, a dying art...

Old 06-03-2007, 02:56 PM

13,905 posts, read 1,969,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
I still handwrite letters. I think typing and printing out is lame. When I write a letter to someone...it's gonna be real.
I agree Rance, unless your handwriting is illigeble, like mine. The invention of the keyborad greatly increased my communications. People could finally understand what I was saying.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:01 PM

40 posts, read 63,849 times
I can definately understand what you all are saying about the keyboard. It does make things more convenient with everyone's busy schedules. I just like keeping in touch with people and any form of communication is nice. I'm just old fashioned I guess and still enjoy hand written letters. Thanks for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics