Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 05:04 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,335,170 times

Advertisements

Good morning, all! It’s a drippy, cool, grey April Sunday in South-Central Wisconsin, and the vivid yellows and crimsons in my tulip bed are providing the only brightness in sight. I’m glad now that I planted so many bulbs last fall! Karla asked me to try to entertain you all this morning while she enjoys breakfast with her friends, so without further ado, let’s move on to

Today’s Question(s):

What colors are the license plates in your state?

How much does a set of vehicle license plates cost for one year in your state?

Bonus Question:

When you were a child, did you have a piggy bank?

How about a savings account?

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling?

Do you have your own bowling ball and shoes, or do you rent them from the bowling alley?

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day?

What was going on to generate all that electronic correspondence?

Today in History:
– The first time the word “America” was used to describe our continent, by geographer Martin Waldseemuller
1684 – A patent was granted for the thimble
1792 – The guillotine was used for the first time, to execute highwayman Nicolas Pelletier
1859 – Ground was broken for the Suez Canal
1901 – New York becomes the first state to require auto license plates. The fee was $1.00
1928 – Buddy, a German Shepherd, becomes the first guide dog for the blind
1952 – The American Bowling Congress approves the use of an automatic pinsetter
1990 – The Hubble space telescope is placed into orbit by the shuttle Discovery

Word of the Day:
Threnody
\thrĕn ə dē \, noun;
A poem or song of mourning or lamentation.

Today is:
Anzac Day (Australia and New Zealand)
National Teach Your Children To Save Day
License Plates Day
National Zucchini Bread Day
Red Hat Society Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2010, 05:12 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,849,768 times
Today’s Question(s):

What colors are the license plates in your state? White/Blue

How much does a set of vehicle license plates cost for one year in your state? $275.00-UGH

Bonus Question:

When you were a child, did you have a piggy bank? No

How about a savings account? No

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling? Too many years to remember!

Do you have your own bowling ball and shoes, or do you rent them from the bowling alley?

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day? 30 some

Mmmm wouldn't you all want to know!

Thanx MWBW-Happy last Sunday in April

Old 04-25-2010, 05:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
Good morning, ALL!! A fine Sunday to you all. We've got a partly cloudy mix going out there right now, but rain is predicted in these parts 'til Tuesday. And another fne job with the QOTD, Midwestern Bookworm; many thanks!

Today’s Question(s):

What colors are the license plates in your state?Our latest iteration (Ohio) is a rather colorful farm scene with a bright blue sky. while they're not bad, They kinda remind me of something Kansas might have. We still have the red-white-and-blue plates still hanging around. As well as the mind-boggling array of special interest plates for colleges, kids, professional organizations, etc. We might even have one to support brining back the Dodo Bird...

I have "Retired USAF" plates on my pick-em-up. The mlitary plates have no extra fee. But I've turned them into vanity plates (see thread in MIlitary Life & Issues), which incurs an extra fee. The Budget Director knows exactly how much, but I believe my plates cost a little more than $100.

Bonus Question:

When you were a child, did you have a piggy bank? yes, but they were mostly toy cars & trucks and I realy don't remember saving any money in them.

How about a savings account? Yep!

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling? Maybe when I was stationed in Korea; we had a little 4-lane alley with Korean "pin boys" to reset the pins... (This was 1976-77)

Do you have your own bowling ball and shoes, or do you rent them from the bowling alley? Have owned neither.

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day? Probably close to 50; mostly advertisements. My wife, a teacher, has a school account and her answer is probably a LOT different)

Us giving out our email address...

Today in History:
1507 – The first time the word “America” was used to describe our continent, by geographer Martin Waldseemuller
1792 – The guillotine was used for the first time, to execute highwayman Nicolas Pelletier
1901 – New York becomes the first state to require auto license plates. The fee was $1.00

Word of the Day:
Threnody \thrĕn ə dē \, noun;

Today is:
License Plates Day
National Zucchini Bread DayLOVE it!
Red Hat Society Day[

Old 04-25-2010, 05:42 AM

1,995 posts, read 3,377,015 times
Good Morning, Everyone!

Today’s Question(s):

What colors are the license plates in your state? There are three kinds but the one we have has a picture of the fort at Old San Juan so I guess, blue and grey mostly. PR only has license plates on the back of the car.

How much does a set of vehicle license plates cost for one year in your state? I'm not sure but think it was about $150

Bonus Question:

When you were a child, did you have a piggy bank? At times.

How about a savings account? For a while until they instituted minimum balances.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling? About 10 months ago.

Do you have your own bowling ball and shoes, or do you rent them from the bowling alley? I rented them.

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day? At my home, I would say about 12 is a big day. I have spam filtered out.

family or certain advertisements I choose to receive

Old 04-25-2010, 05:44 AM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times

Here in the UK it's all the same. Black letters/numbers on a white backgound at the front, black letters/numbers on a yellow background at the back.

Not applicable here. Get the car registered and as far as the plates go that is it.
Bonus Question:

Don't think so.

Yes- I still have the paying in book in pre-decimal coinage.

Extra Credit Question:

When living in Texas, a few years ago.

Oh- definitely rent!

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day?

Not a lot.

Not a lot!

Old 04-25-2010, 05:52 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,946,617 times
Good morning, everyone. MBW, great questions, and Karla I'm glad to hear you're enjoying a nice breakfast with your friends.

Today’s Question(s):

What colors are the license plates in your state? We must have a choice of 50-60 different ones, all different colors. I think the "standard" is light blue with a red cardinal and a white dogwood.

Bonus Question:

Nope, I saved my money in an old coffee tin with a plastic top. Worked just as well, and to this day the smell of old coffee tins makes me feel frugal and happy.
How about a savings account? Yup, had t least $10 in a savings account from age 7. Eventually got it up to $100. Woo hoo, I was rich!

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling? High school.

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day? More than I could count, that's for sure.

LOL, I'll never tell

Red Hat Society Day[/quote]

Old 04-25-2010, 05:54 AM

48,128 posts, read 22,002,483 times
Today’s Question(s):

The basic plate is background white with black numerals and a picture (chick-a-dee on a pine cone or a loon or a lobster etc) The specialized plates are fund raisers for some state projects and for private groups. (State Parks; Disabled Vets; etc)

I don't know that.....my DP takes care of it. There is an excise tax....so the newer more valuable the car.....the more it costs to register it.
Bonus Question:

Yes I did.....they were popular....amber colored glass piggy.
No, but we bought "savings stamps" at school and pasted them in books toward getting a "War Bond" or Savings Bond. My family had very limited means so there wasnt much to save.
Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling? About 30 or 40 years ago.

Look at my answer to when I last bowled......you can guess if I have my own shoes. MWBW you are as likely to find me in a bowling alley as I am to find you watching the afternoon soap opera programs.
Just For Fun:

I really dont know but probably under 10.
Again my first answer...sorta negates the second.

Today in History:
– The first time the word “America” was used to describe our continent, by geographer Martin Waldseemuller
1684 – A patent was granted for the thimble In an old family diary [written by my Great Great Aunt in the 1850's] she chronicled that a friend had returned a thimble to her that had been missing and presumed lost the previous year. It's return was a cause of great rejoicing.....finding an old friend that she presumed lost on account of her carelessness. Thimbles were sentimentalized and valued.

Thank you MWBW for the interesting questions and little known facts.

Old 04-25-2010, 06:12 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,693,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good morning, all! It?s a drippy, cool, grey April Sunday in South-Central Wisconsin, and the vivid yellows and crimsons in my tulip bed are providing the only brightness in sight. I?m glad now that I planted so many bulbs last fall! Karla asked me to try to entertain you all this morning while she enjoys breakfast with her friends, so without further ado, let?s move on to

Today?s Question(s):

What colors are the license plates in your state?Sort of a cream color and the lettering is black.

How much does a set of vehicle license plates cost for one year in your state? I think 39.50 or 46.50..I can't remember right now.

Bonus Question:

When you were a child, did you have a piggy bank? I think so.

How about a savings account? Not until I was a teenager.

Extra Credit Question:

When was the last time you went bowling? I don't know...maybe 10 years ago.

Do you have your own bowling ball and shoes, or do you rent them from the bowling alley? We rented them.

Just For Fun:

What (approximately) is the largest number of emails you have gotten in your personal email box in a single day? 32

Guess I was popular that day.LOL!

Today in History:
? The first time the word ?America? was used to describe our continent, by geographer Martin Waldseemuller
1684 ? A patent was granted for the thimble
1792 ? The guillotine was used for the first time, to execute highwayman Nicolas Pelletier
1859 ? Ground was broken for the Suez Canal
1901 ? New York becomes the first state to require auto license plates. The fee was $1.00
1928 ? Buddy, a German Shepherd, becomes the first guide dog for the blind
1952 ? The American Bowling Congress approves the use of an automatic pinsetter
1990 ? The Hubble space telescope is placed into orbit by the shuttle Discovery

Word of the Day:
Threnody
\thr?n ? d? \, noun;

Today is:
National Teach Your Children To Save Day - GOOD IDEA
License Plates Day
Red Hat Society Day
Have a good day!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,211,214 times
Good morning!

Today’s Question(s):

White/Blue
</title></head>"+"<body onload='if (!window.parent.StateManager || window.parent.StateManager.frameSaving) return;"+"window.parent.StateManager.restore(decod eURIComponent(document.body.innerText));'>"+enc(b) +"</body></html>");c.close();a.frameSaving=#
How much does a set of vehicle license plates cost for one year in your state? This depends on age and type of vehicle - our car is $280, the motorcycles are $45, the OLD pickup is $35 (I think).

Bonus Question:

yes

How about a savings account? no

Extra Credit Question:

I don't have any idea - that really stinks too because I really like to bowl (not good at it but enjoy it anyway). Wii bowling hasn't been too long ago and may have to do that again today since you mentioned it.

Do you have your own bowling ball and shoes, or do you rent them from the bowling alley? I don't bowl often enough to justify the cost of owning my own, sadly.

Just For Fun:

only a few that were actually for me and not junk

What was going on to generate all that electronic correspondence? hotel arrangements for BILs funeral

Today is:
Anzac Day (Australia and New Zealand) Happy Anzac Day to our long distance friends!
License Plates Day
National Zucchini Bread Day I like this stuff but have never made it myself.
Red Hat Society Day Not a part of this group...... yet.

Have a nice day!

Old 04-25-2010, 06:19 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,673,736 times
Today’s Question(s):

Standard plates are red, white & blue.

Standard plate is $99. Illinois leads the league in special plates. They come at additional cost. You would think they would be cheap since our ex-governors make them.

Bonus Question:

I had a lot of them. They all broke.

It was part of our elementary school education. Bank actually came in and we all started a savings account with $1. Every week we would bring our pennies to school and deposit them.

Extra Credit Question:

At least 2 back operations ago.

Why spend money on your own when you can wear a pair shared by 60 or 70 other people with clean socks
Just For Fun:

I routinely get 25-30 e-mails a day

I've lived a life that has intersected with thousands of others in varying degrees of depth. Some of them stay in touch.

Today in History:

Word of the Day:
Threnody
\thrĕn ə dē \, noun;

Today is:
License Plates Day
Red Hat Society Day[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics