U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 11:26 AM

4,928 posts, read 4,620,021 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

"Vern the Vacation House Fairy" has gotten his tools back from Fred

So where will you be having your Vacation House built ? Ooooo....I LIKE Vern!! I would like a vacation house built in Hawaii.

Bonus Question:

The last time you were disappointed was it due to a
Thing ? Movie...they just don't make good ones like they used to
Person ?
Event ?

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on house cleaning?

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add "GENIOUS" to my "resume" ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2010, 12:08 PM

5,954 posts, read 6,883,885 times
WooHoo!!! Happy Friday QOTD'ers! No work this weekend (unless I pop in the office for a few hours to catch up).

Today's Question(s):

So where will you be having your Vacation House built ?
We're going to build a nice beachfront house down on the gulf somewheres near the Florida panhandle. "Know what I mean, Vern?" (like the Jim Varney reference? )

Bonus Question:

Thing ?
Person ? I've got two loved ones with issues. One treats me like their confidantl; the other makes me pry information to try to help them help themselves. Aaarrggghhhh!!!!
Event ?

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on __Getting the house ready to sell next Spring (painting / landscaping / de-cluttering) __ ?

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add ___Office cube builder / renovations____ to my "resume" ?

Today is:
National Roast Leg of Lamb Day I don't care for lamb.
National Tourism Day I'd like to tour the route home from work SOON!
Paste-up Day
Scale Day - yeah right something is just wrong, having this right after "no diet day" Checking for damages I presume?
No Pants Day YES!!! My favorite evening activity. I just throw on some shorts and be very comfortable around the house!
Great Lakes Awareness Day Checked the satellite images and they're still there!!! Job well done, team!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:13 PM

3,849 posts, read 1,994,047 times
Today's Question(s):

If I could get this place fixed up properly, I'd likely take all 'vacations' right here. (of course, being retired means every day is a 'vacation day' anyway!)

Bonus Question:

Thing ?
Person ?
Event ?

Not sure whether to call it a 'thing' or an 'event' but I'd have to say the frozen fish fillets I had for dinner last night were a disappointment - they simply didn't taste as good as I remember.

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on
housework ?

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add _________ to my "resume" ?

honestly can't think of a thing!

Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM

16,205 posts, read 11,565,121 times
Karla hope your fingers are feeling better I know that really had to hurt.

Right on Disney World's in the park property thank you very much! Vern you don't know how happy you will have made us!

Thing ?

Tried a new meatloaf recipe that turned out to be awful last night.

I really need to catch up on weeding the iris bed that has gotten so large it is a major task to do now.

I can now officially add interior painter to my "resume" ?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:59 PM

99,347 posts, read 26,299,558 times
Today's Question(s):

Rockport, Texas

Bonus Question:

Thing ?
Person ?
Event ?

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on _sleep______ ?

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add _Master of Madness_ to my "resume" ?

Today in History:
1660 - Isaack B. Fubine of Savoy, in The Hague, patents macaroni
1789 - The first Presidential Inaugural Ball(George Washington) was held in New York City. Each lady in attendance received as a gift a portrait of George Washington.
1824 - Beethoven's 9th (Chorale) Symphony, premieres in Vienna - one of my favorites !!!
1888 - George Eastman patents "Kodak box camera"
1914 - U.S. Congress establishes mother's day
1941 - Glenn Miller and his orchestra recorded one of the great American music standards, "Chattanooga Choo Choo", on this day
1966 - Mamas and Papas "Monday Monday" hits #1
1982 - IBM releases PC-DOS version 1.1

Word of the Day:
eristic \e-RIS-tik\ , adjective;
1. Pertaining to controversy or disputation; controversial.
2. Of argument for the sole purpose of winning, regardless of the reason.

Today is:
National Roast Leg of Lamb Day
National Tourism Day
Paste-up Day
Scale Day - yeah right something is just wrong, having this right after "no diet day"
No Pants Day
Great Lakes Awareness Day

Old 05-07-2010, 01:04 PM

43,114 posts, read 20,065,575 times
Today is:
National Roast Leg of Lamb Day - Finally something I can eat that doesn't have any sugar!
National Tourism Day - Do I have to be a tourist to celebrate that?
Paste-up Day - Are we talking about tooth paste?
Scale Day - yeah right something is just wrong, having this right after "no diet day" - LOL.. Or all of those high-calorie/carbohydrate foods we seem to have a day for almost everyday!
No Pants Day - Uhmm.. No pants? So am I supposed to wear a skirt today, or walk around with no pants on? Yeah, I'm sure my co-workers at the office will appreciate that!
Great Lakes Awareness Day - I guess I'll have to remember to be aware of Lake Michigan before I drive into it...

Old 05-07-2010, 01:09 PM

19,537 posts, read 22,722,750 times
Today's Question(s):

Mrs. Tek votes for the south of France. I guess I'm going with her.

Bonus Question:

Thing ? Thing
Person ?
Event ?

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on reading?

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add retired to my "resume" ? Well, "official" is the first of July, but I expect business to go bye-bye real soon.

Today in History:
1660 - Isaack B. Fubine of Savoy, in The Hague, patents macaroni MMMMM, I love Fubine macaroni!
1789 - The first Presidential Inaugural Ball(George Washington) was held in New York City. Each lady in attendance received as a gift a portrait of George Washington. No ego there!
1824 - Beethoven's 9th (Chorale) Symphony, premieres in Vienna - one of my favorites !!! Did I miss the opening?
1888 - George Eastman patents "Kodak box camera" And many years later sues Kodak over it! IIRC
1941 - Glenn Miller and his orchestra recorded one of the great American music standards, "Chattanooga Choo Choo", on this day
1966 - Mamas and Papas "Monday Monday" hits #1 What a "sound" they had!
1982 - IBM releases PC-DOS version 1.1 I think I still have a copy around here somewhere...

Word of the Day:

There's a poster in the Computers forum and one in the Automotive forum that fit #2 to a T.

Today is:
National Roast Leg of Lamb Day Never got used to the flavor of lamb.
National Tourism Day I will volunteeer
Paste-up Day Say what?
Scale Day - yeah right something is just wrong, having this right after "no diet day" Are you sure this isn't celebrating a skin condition of some kind?
No Pants Day
Great Lakes Awareness Day Mrs. Tek is aware - she's a Chitown girl.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Babble

I got a call while taking Mrs. Tek to work this morning (James was on duty). A client who has a beauty salon called because they lost all data from yesterday. When I got there the gal at the front desk was on the phone with the software company and they had just figured out what happened. Apparently one of the workers does a sloppy job (as in never) backing up at the end of the day. Well last night she decided to actually do it, but clicked the Restore button instead of the Backup button. This restored the image from last Saturday, which is when they do that particular backup. The daily backup is done using a Zip drive at the end of each day. They got the data restored from the Wednesday Zip drive backup, but since the gal didn't do the daily there was no backup for Yesterday.

Every appointment made yesterday is gone and cannot be recovered. Some will get entered from memory by the person who takes most of the appointments, but as the owner said, "All I need is to have some doubled appointments, and have customers get mad enough to drop us. This could be a very expensive mistake over a year's time." No kidding!

And my argument for automatic backups still fell on deaf ears! Sometimes I think I'm talking to myself even though I'm in a room full of people. I tried. If he can't figure out that automated backups to someplace like Carbonite will save him this kind of grief then it's his problem. The silly thing is he was willing to spend a thousand dollars if someone could find a way to retrieve the data. All I'm saying is spend $50 a YEAR to safeguard All the data. Go figure.

We had storms go through this morning, early. I missed he whole thing. Mrs. Tek said it was pretty noisy. We got over an inch of rain and it's still cloudy, windy, gloomy, and cool.

Got a long standing client coming by this afternoon. She bought a laptop for her son (college-bound) and she wants to be sure everything is installed correctly before giving it to him. I'll also clean any junk off it. She is the last to be told I'm retiring. I'll offer to continue the monthly archiving (to CD) I do for her as it takes little time and the money will come in handy. Besides, she's a great client and a nice person, so why not?

That's it for today.

Everyone enjoy the rest of it!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:01 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,868,492 times
Today's Question(s):

So where will you be having your Vacation House built ? Well, it has to be on the coast and maybe a little cooler in the summer than Florida in case we want to escape the heat. Northern California?

Bonus Question:

Thing ?
Person ? Definitely a person, unfortunately
Event ?

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on yardwork ?

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add to my "resume" ?

Today in History:
1789 - The first Presidential Inaugural Ball(George Washington) was held in New York City. Each lady in attendance received as a gift a portrait of George Washington.
1824 - Beethoven's 9th (Chorale) Symphony, premieres in Vienna - one of my favorites !!!

Word of the Day:

So is eristic used only to describe particular arguments, or can it be used to describe a person? I have one I'd like to apply it to.

BTW, my spell check does not recognize this one!

Today is:
National Roast Leg of Lamb Day Yum
National Tourism Day
Paste-up Day What?
Scale Day - yeah right something is just wrong, having this right after "no diet day"
No Pants Day LOL
Great Lakes Awareness Day Love the Great Lakes

Old 05-07-2010, 02:09 PM

8,717 posts, read 4,487,103 times
Today's Question(s):

South Padre Island, Texas, right on the beach! I would stay in it often and I would share it with other close friends and family.

Bonus Question:

Thing ?
Person ?
Event ?

All of the above...

Extra Credit Question:

I really need to catch up on _deleting old files off my PC's hard drive__

Just for Fun:

I can now officially add
_novel writer_ to my "resume" ?

Today in History:

1824 - Beethoven's 9th (Chorale) Symphony, premieres in Vienna - one of my favorites !!! One of my favorites too!

Today is:
National Roast Leg of Lamb Day
National Tourism Day
Paste-up Day
Scale Day - yeah right something is just wrong, having this right after "no diet day" I agree!!...LOL.
No Pants Day
Great Lakes Awareness Day

Old 05-07-2010, 02:17 PM

16,205 posts, read 11,565,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
It's finally Friday! We have a Patriot Guard Mission tomorrow...

It's a really cool one....The veteran we're honoring was MIA from the Vietnam War and had been missing since 1972. Sadly it was DNA that identified him but now the family can put him to rest. It's the least we can do to be there to show our respects.

ETA: Because so many asked..the name of the soldier finally coming home is Sgt James H. Alley, 22, USAF.
Thanks and really..it's not about us and what we're doing it's all about them.
[/b]
Well bless his family and your big scooters patrol! This soldier had a mighty long journey indeed glad it is coming to a final rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics