U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:40 AM

942 posts, read 2,368,118 times

Advertisements

I checked my CD this morning and was surprised I had received a PM from someone I DO NOT KNOW. Has anyone else been struck with a PM like this??? Im going to have to start filtering my PM's now to. How rediculious.

The Orlando Peterson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am not sure what this message is but I was sent one to but unfortunately I went along further with the idea, thinking I could make some extra money. I am don't know what it is but it seems just too easy, I was sent a check for 4800USD and was told to send it to Nigeria. Not really sure why I didn't think of this before but money laundering sounds real right right about now. Maybe you can shed some light on this.

Last edited by Pixie Dust; 06-15-2007 at 07:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 06:49 AM

4,286 posts, read 13,391,713 times
Never got one like that but did get a strange one last week from someone asking where have I been?

Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 AM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
Exclamation Scam Alert!!!

Itís a scam ďdo not answer or get involved with those types of peopleĒ! They are setting you up don't answer them.

But who do you report PM scams and junk mail to at C-D?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:00 AM

10,189 posts, read 24,906,244 times
I suggest you forward the PM to either markablue or Yac, the two senior moderators. If you erased the PM, I suggest you just alert them that you received a spam PM.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:28 AM

15,595 posts, read 35,273,218 times
Get the member name. Those types can and will be exterminated like the vermin that they are. Send a check to nigeria? Those nigerians are some brain dead individuals at times.
I've gotten PM's from strangers. Most of you were all strangers at some point. Fortunately none of you scammed or spammed me. So I answer back.

Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 8,695,793 times
Got some pm's from several people, I don't know.....Pertaining to certain posts/ threads inquiry, and were mainly questions. This is what I would do...

* If it is not excessive, ignore, don't bother, and just delete. You were never, ever seriously thinking of sending money to nigeria....Right??.....lol (ahem.....rather send it to me..........LOL )

*Look up the member's name, if you are unsure, and look tor threads started by that person/ username.

*Contact mod's, forward pm's.

The thing is, well, spam control are ok for the most part. But it doesn't filter out all, and sometimes for the most sensistive spam controls, you might find yourself not getting the "real" messages. So, I guess it's just baring it, and not sending money out.......lol.
Better judgement.........

Old 06-15-2007, 07:55 PM

15,564 posts, read 36,545,862 times
I got one like that too!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:02 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,528,930 times
I've watched a couple investigative peices on scams coming out of Nigeria...I get offered millions of dollars from these idiots, in fact now I get several a day...

If I am incredibly bored, I sometimes email back and forth a couple times just to annoy them.

I have never gotten a message on here though.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:16 PM

30,322 posts, read 27,780,270 times
Cool Mr Lucky is calling you!

Iím going out to buy a lottery ticket for the power ball and it should make all of us very wealthy! If youíd like to send me youíre home mailing address and $1 ~ Iíll be sure to include you in any portion of the winnings. Yeahhhhhh trust me, show me your $1 first. Iím known as Mr. Lucky around the lottery terminals in town, although come to think of it I havenít really won anything yet,,,,,,
but my time is coming. http://www.airamericaplace.com/boards/style_emoticons/default/whistling.gif (broken link)

Old 06-16-2007, 12:19 AM

14,874 posts, read 37,245,485 times
I've gotten a few over the years by email but nothing thru C-D. I get tons of pm's from people asking more detailed questions that they don't want the whole world to know. Like if they are relocating to the area and concerned about it they have given me the neighborhoods and I've been able to give them a much more detailed description of it, the schools, shopping, etc. As for just flat out WEIRD pm's from posters I did not really know was one I got last year from a younger male that used to post in my area of the state that wanted to know, "are you hot?" along w/ a few other words. Well sorta freaked out but it was weird since I had posted many times "in my 40+ years" and this person was MUCH younger........... STRANGE! I ignored it and the guy has never been back.

Now Rance........ you have that lil harem of yours and your lil Swedish honey so all of us other girls on here know your taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or