Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 07:21 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,193 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt Ottawa's warmer than Toronto in the Summer, being directly on the lake definitely contributes to a warmer climate when factoring in humidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2010, 08:20 AM

26,872 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I seriously doubt Ottawa's warmer than Toronto in the Summer, being directly on the lake definitely contributes to a warmer climate when factoring in humidity.
Just checking the numbers and they are actually almost exactly the same for June-July-August. Within a half a degree or a degree.

As for the lake's influence, I would say its influence actually cools Toronto down a bit in the summertime, which explains why a city a few hundred km north of it like Ottawa can be as warm as Toronto in the summer.

Ottawa's valley location gives it really high humidity in the summertime.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:59 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
I've lived in Ottawa all my life. I won't lie to you. Winters are usually very bad. We usually get a ton of snow and what will hurt you is the windchill factor. I've seen a wind chill factor as low as -42 c.
However, it starts warming up in April. The summers are typically hot and humid. It feels like you are living in the tropics sometimes. June-Aug are usually very hot and beginning of to mid-sept its also warm. It starts getting cold in October. The worst of the cold weather will hit in Jan-Feb.
You won't like the winters.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:04 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
I am moving this september !

Also can you specify these great winter activities-Gets me excited

I've heard of ice-skating in the world's largest rink and eating beavers
what else?

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW. We eat beaver tails(pastries)on the Rideau canal which is the outdoor skating rink we have.

Old 07-22-2010, 12:13 AM

10,016 posts, read 12,572,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ottawa is actually slightly warmer than Toronto in the summer and quite a bit warmer than Vancouver. In mid-summer the average high in Ottawa is around 27 C, whereas in Toronto it is 25 or 26. In Vancouver it is around 22 or 23.

But winter in Ottawa is a tad colder than in Toronto (think average highs of -5 C in Ottawa versus -1 C in Toronto) and much colder than Vancouver, where the average highs in winter are always above freezing.
I have to tell you that the little bit colder temperature makes all the difference. It's not the cold so much that is a real pain but the cold WET that is miserable. I would way rather be in Ottawa at minus 15 than Toronto at 0. The snow is nice when it's cold the ice stays frozen and it's great. As far as standing it, It's not Winnipeg you know!!! LOL

Old 07-22-2010, 06:30 AM

16 posts, read 40,917 times
winter is very long there and bellow -20 all the time is very bad for me. It's really too cold to go out. If you drive and your car breaks down you could freeze. Summer is definitely nicer than TO. All all i think the trees and nature is not that much to my taste, not like say georgian bay or southern ontario.

Old 07-22-2010, 06:58 AM

I think we should all keep in mind that the OP is coming from India. Moving to either Toronto or Ottawa will be a huge difference for him, climate-wise. Both cities are in the humid continental climate zone, with Ottawa right in the middle of the DFB whereas Toronto is borderline between DFB and the slightly milder DFA. To us, there might be a climate difference between the two cities but to him, it is the same at the difference between being punched in the face by Arnold Schwarzenegger or punched in the face by Jean-Claude Van Damme.

To anyone but Canadians hung up on a few degrees' difference (and I plead guilty to this), the climates of Ottawa and Toronto are very similar.

No one moves from Ottawa to Toronto because Toronto is warmer. In fact, no one even moves from Ontario to places even further south in the U.S. like New York or Philadelphia or Pittsburgh because they are warmer, either.

But people in Canada do move from Toronto and Ottawa to Vancouver because it is warmer. This is true.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassandra123 View Post
winter is very long there and bellow -20 all the time is very bad for me.
It is not -20 "all the time" in Ottawa during the winter...

Old 07-24-2010, 08:19 PM

157 posts, read 574,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I've lived in Ottawa all my life. I won't lie to you. Winters are usually very bad. We usually get a ton of snow and what will hurt you is the windchill factor. I've seen a wind chill factor as low as -42 c.
However, it starts warming up in April. The summers are typically hot and humid. It feels like you are living in the tropics sometimes. June-Aug are usually very hot and beginning of to mid-sept its also warm. It starts getting cold in October. The worst of the cold weather will hit in Jan-Feb.
You won't like the winters.
I lived in Montreal most of my life myself and our weather is very similar to Ottawa's weather. Sometimes Ottawa has slightly colder weather than Montreal does during the winter, too. This I don't understand, but I watch The Weather Network during commercials from other shows.

Do we ever get pummelled with snow, eh? Good exercise, shovelling, though.

And the dampness! Not good for people who have arthritis!

Old 07-26-2010, 05:03 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
http://fiveblondes.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/Ottawa_Rideau_Canal_courtesy_city_of_ottawa.jpg (broken link)

The beaver tails are large handfulls of dough shaped like a beaver tail and deep fried then covered in sugar,for some strange reason people actually eat this stuff.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_carroll/2378048033/ (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau