Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 AM

543 posts, read 937,519 times

Advertisements

I am coming from a very moderate climate(India) and am not well accustomed to a cold climate like the one I will be living in-in Ottawa. My college has advised us to not buy anything and make the travel a headache, instead they say everything you need will be available in the city-but I was wondering....What will I be facing especially when I land in september-Will it be really chilly....My friend landed in Vancouver and he hardly felt a difference.
What should I buy-Scarfs, gloves, vitamin B,C,D tablets, long over-alls ....I am really excited yet overwhelmed to be honest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 08:41 AM

26,758 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Ottawa in September will be like Delhi in December or January. Average highs are around 20 and lows around 10. But there is however a difference between the start and the end of the month. Early September is generally summerlike, and you will often see highs of 25 or more. Towards the end of the month it is more like 16 or 17 during the day. You might get 25s in late September or early October as well, but cooler days where it doesn't get warmer than, say, 14 at midday are also possible.

If you already have some clothing (not too thick) with long sleeves and a light jacket (windbreaker), you should be fine in Ottawa in September.

Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 AM

26,758 posts, read 37,656,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi85 View Post
What should I buy-Scarfs, gloves, vitamin B,C,D tablets,
You can buy Vitamins C and D if you want, but you can also get what you need from fruit (easily available here everywhere even in mid-winter) and from sunshine.

There is a lot of talk of Vitamin D deficiencies among people in cold climates but I have always felt that these are people who almost never go outside and hibernate all winter.

While mid-October to early December can sometimes be grey and cloudy, there are still nice autumn days in there and after that it tends to get sunnier and brighter once there is snow on the ground. There are many, many bright sunny days in January and February and if you go outside to "play" or even for a walk every once in a while your Vitamin D levels will be fine.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:36 AM

1,654 posts, read 5,834,172 times
You'll need Vitamin C and D pills since your body's not used to the climate, you'll have vitamin deficiency during the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau