Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 02:49 PM

9 posts, read 43,298 times

Advertisements

Acajack,
Any idea what is the big development (condos maybe?), just west of Galeries d'Aylmer, in what looks like used to be a big green space/spark? On Street View, former dead end streets such as du Couvent and Denise-Friend now now massive construction going on. I am wondering if these little streets will be used for access to this development or if they will remain dead end streets (thus more quiet). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 09:56 AM

9 posts, read 43,298 times
My previous question may be a bit too specific, but I guess what I am trying to say is that Aylmer is developing at such a fast pace that many areas that seem quaint and filled with pleasant green spaces with a 'campagne dans la ville' feeling appear like they could soon be dense with construction of all types. As I am shopping for houses, when I see a property surrounded by green spaces or vacant lots, I am immediately suspicious... No need to dramatize, but it is a reality. Aylmer is developing quickly.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Sorry, I missed that question.

I don't live in Aylmer and I haven't been by the Galeries in a while. So I can't comment on any construction-related movement.

Anything not zoned as a park is subject to development. The green space you are talking about is zoned residential and from what I can see on the city's site this area is open to most types of residential development including condo buildings up to five storeys.

Since this is quite close to the main street and near the mall and CLSC I would bet on condos of at least a few storeys high on this site eventually though of course you never know for sure until they start building.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:30 PM

1 posts, read 3,856 times
Hi all, QC offer daycare for 7$ per day for child from 0 to 5 years. Housing are also cheaper but I don't see any other economic benefits from staying in Qc side.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:38 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil5 View Post
Hi all, QC offer daycare for 7$ per day for child from 0 to 5 years. Housing are also cheaper but I don't see any other economic benefits from staying in Qc side.
Not saying the Quebec side is necessarily the best choice for everyone but those are perhaps the two biggest things that a young working family spends its money on: housing and child care.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:54 AM

2 posts, read 9,256 times
I'm very gartefull to be living in Aylmer ! I live in a large home on a large lot, I'm surrounded by golf courses, we have a Marina at the end of Main street, we pay 65% less for electricity, our young famillies benefit from very very affordable daycare, we are ''politically'' correct, my kids are bilingual ! extensive bike paths, minutes to Gatineau park. foodie ? Westboro is right next door ... ;-)

Old 02-25-2010, 06:15 AM

3 posts, read 12,597 times
@ Arla7247,

The commute from Aylmer to downtown Ottawa is pretty easy. It's about 30 minutes. You change over to Quebec health care. With respect to using Ontario health care while living in Quebec, I am under the impression that you simply pay up front and then get reimbursed by the Quebec government. I have only done this a couple of times, so I can't say that it works in all situations.

Quebec seems to be better for young families because of the day care subsidies, extra parental leave, as well as the much cheaper recreation fees for sports, etc. It would not be ideal if you were in a very high income bracket, single, or had severe health problems (Ontario has more doctors because of Quebec's restrictions it places on doctors).

I really like living in Aylmer. Ottawa is great, but in Aylmer I could get a large house on a large plot of land in a nice surrounding (whether it be Gatineau park, the water front or the golf courses). If I could have afforded a $750K+ house, I would have choosen to live in Rockcliff, New Edinburgh or the Glebe in Ottawa.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSinger View Post
Actually, your children are obligated by law to attend french elementary school and high school if one of the parents went to school in French.

When it comes to sending your children to Cegep and University, they can choose either language.

I know this is an old post but I wanted to say this is incorrect and make this clear for all of those out there reading this. My father went to french school and my mother went to English school and my little sister who is still in high school as well as I who graduated 6 years ago Both went to English highschools.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM

38 posts, read 325,748 times
Phil, you are indeed entitled to your opinion, however there are a few more benefits to the Quebec side as perceived by other non-residents contemplating a move. Mostly young families with kids are drawn to Quebec given the average $100,000 difference in home prices (cmhc conferences confirm this), lower automobile insurance, affordable day care. But yah, sure, personal income taxes are higher...no question about it. And what about the HST that is coming into Ontario....that will begin to really rattle many residents in Ottawa having to pay a new tax on items that were not taxed in the past.

Anyone wish to comment on the above?

Hey Luc! Good to see you joined the club!!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM

38 posts, read 325,748 times
Default WElcome to the club Luc!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBedard View Post
I'm very gartefull to be living in Aylmer ! I live in a large home on a large lot, I'm surrounded by golf courses, we have a Marina at the end of Main street, we pay 65% less for electricity, our young famillies benefit from very very affordable daycare, we are ''politically'' correct, my kids are bilingual ! extensive bike paths, minutes to Gatineau park. foodie ? Westboro is right next door ... ;-)

Good to see you joined us Luc!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau