Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 07:44 AM

26,765 posts, read 37,688,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadtoronto View Post
Hi -- To my knowledge, this hasn't been addressed in the forum. I'm moving from Southern Ontario to the Ottawa-Gatineau region and considering purchasing a house on the Quebec side. To avoid higher Quebec taxes, I'm wondering if some people live in Quebec but for taxation purposes continue to declare their principal residence at an Ontario address? I'm a single person, $100,000+ salary, no kids (I don't care about $7 daycare). Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
Yes, some people do this. It is illegal and is commonly referred to as income tax fraud. If you get caught you may end up paying both the Ontario and Quebec provincial income taxes (since Ontario won't refund you what you paid to them while committing the fraud against Quebec) for each year of the fraud, plus penalties.

It is more commonly attempted (risk calculation) by people who rent, because the lease is only between you and the landlord. This doesn't mean renters don't get caught, but it is somewhat less risky than being a property owner in Quebec and having this on the books in a whole bunch of places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2011, 04:41 PM

13 posts, read 55,369 times
I have lived in Kanata for 20 years. Excellent place to raise a family.
I've sold and am downsizing and have been pounding the pavement for a rental until I decided where to buy.
So I drove around and looked into various apt, condo's and homes for weeks.
My son sold me on QC, and why is that, he said I totally change when I cross the bridge to Quebec, I lighten up, smile more, laugh more, instantly have more energy, He says I must be french at heart. So I acquired a gorgeous condo.
And now that I think about it, I have always loved QC, Montreal, QC City, anywhere on the QC side. My cousins lived there and I spent most of my childhood with them and maybe that's where my love grew, that and my Aunt was the best Aunt in the world. That and nature, and the people. I've always noticed how the french are just more laid back and not as stuffy or worried about things as they are in Ontario. Maybe it is because I am happy there and very receptive therefore received well. I just think it's a calling. The taxes vs rent vs all else actually balances in the end between working in Ottawa and living in Gatineau. The time spent on the bridge in the traffic (which is CRAZY) I will spend listening to my french CD's. I actually spend more time in Alymer (great town, love Alymer) and in Gatineau then I do on the Ottawa side.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:24 AM

4 posts, read 13,536 times
Thank you for your post. I am Canadian and I am moving back to QC after an abscence of 45 years with my wife and 17 year old son. I did speak fluent QC French when I was a kid and being there last year for a few weeks started to pick it up again, so did my wife and son who are Australian. We are looking at buying a home on small acreage in the Gatineau area as my son will be going to uni in Ottawa - his French isn't good enough for Montreal. I also have family in Montreal but I'm not saying anything until we turn up there and get settelled.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 AM

Hi everyone, I would also like to find out about investing in real estate in the Gatineau to Hull area and the do's and don'ts in doing so about taxes ect.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canoz View Post
Hi everyone, I would also like to find out about investing in real estate in the Gatineau to Hull area and the do's and don'ts in doing so about taxes ect.
I don't have a list of do's and don't but here is the official real estate site for properties in Gatineau and the Outaouais region:

www.avecuncourtier.com

A growing trend in Quebec has been private home sales by owners without the involvement of an agent. Here is the site that most people use for this:

Immobilier Québec, maison a vendre, condo, loft, chalet, terrain à vendre, Québec | DuProprio

Choose "Outaouais" as the region or "Gatineau" or another municipality to narrow the search.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:02 AM

A big thank you to you Acajack for your reply. I have looked at a few real estate sites in as for sale by private vendors. Some homes, very nice, but my family and I are simple people and prefer to be semi-rual but close to the city, like Ottawa. I have relitaves living in Montreal and Thetford Mines, Quebec. My family and I love Montreal and Quebec City but also like Ottawa. We are looking at living in Quebec and working in Ottawa as my wife is a teacher (B.Ed) for special needs kids and I am an electrican and B.Bus. I don't think it would be hard to find work if we have to. At the moment I am a self funded retiree at 55.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,834 times
I immigrated in Qc Gatineau in October 2000. I have 2 children and one goes to a French elementary school. we decided to put her in an English school in Gatineau but due to the provision of Bill 101 we CANNOT!! I have only one option to move out of Gatineau and live in Ottawa. Word of advise- If you are immigrant and did not go to school (elementary in English) your child is forced to go to a french school whether you like it or not!!!

Old 09-16-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulzada View Post
I immigrated in Qc Gatineau in October 2000. I have 2 children and one goes to a French elementary school. we decided to put her in an English school in Gatineau but due to the provision of Bill 101 we CANNOT!! I have only one option to move out of Gatineau and live in Ottawa. Word of advise- If you are immigrant and did not go to school (elementary in English) your child is forced to go to a french school whether you like it or not!!!
I am always flabbergasted when people willingly (I mean, no once forces them) move to Quebec and then are astonished and complain that it is French!

Old 10-04-2011, 12:56 AM

36,918 posts, read 38,864,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I am always flabbergasted when people willingly (I mean, no once forces them) move to Quebec and then are astonished and complain that it is French!
Yea, it's pretty confusing to me, too.

Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,328 times
We live in Aylmer, QC about 6 years now. So far so good. I have 2 kids and we LOVE IT here. Taxes are pretty high and it's very hard to find a daycare for $7/day but city is awesome and people very nice to us.
If I were you choose Ottawa, safest bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau