Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 01:04 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times

Advertisements

If you live on the Quebec side, you will pay income taxes for Quebec regardless of where you go to work, so you will not be able to access the health system of Ontario, unless you pay (I believe it is about $57 per walk-in clinic visit and the Quebec government may reimburse you). There is a big lack of doctors in Gatineau because they get paid more in Ottawa. For transportation, there is the STO bus system in Quebec and they have buses that go to Ottawa.

Aylmer is a very nice area and 40% of its population is anglophone. Hull is OK as well, just not in certain parts of the downtown area at night. The Gatineau sector is a little far from the bridges, as well as Buckingham. FWIW!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2008, 07:00 PM

2 posts, read 68,111 times
Default gatineau versus ottawa

We are a young family and moved to Gatineau for the availability of French and the way cheaper houses. Yes, taxes are higher and gas and food is cheaper in Ottawa. We speak both Eng and French. Our house would now be worth 150,000 more in Ottawa-including size, inground pool, and safe neighbourhood. But as an anglophone I'm having a hard time breaking the ice of the government commuters and meeting people. We do want our kids to go to high school in English, in Ottawa, so we'll move eventually. But we're considering moving now to try to "fit in" abit better. Anyone have an opinion if "the grass is greener over the fence"? Been there yourself? Thanks.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 126,727 times
Default Gatineau versus Ottawa

I've lived just north of Gatineau (Perkins) and now live in Ottawa. Regarding health care, you would definitely need to switch your OHIP to "Carte Soleil" Quebec health card within a year I would say. With your "Carte Soleil" you can still access Ontario health care, such as CHEO, but sometimes there are small charges to make up for gaps in the Quebec plan. My wife visited her doctor and had to pay $35 every visit, others I've spoken to have had no additional charges - I think it depends on your doctor. Otherwise health care is comparable.

Regarding schools, my oldest son went to primary school in english in Gatineau (Henry A. Ward - now called something else). Their reading program was excellent and the school was old but the staff were amazing - I would highly recommend it if you want to send your children to school in English. Also, there are a few English high schools in Gatineau so that's not a problem if you want your children to go to school in English. One thing though, you can only send your children to english school if either you or your husband went to school in English. You have have to send in proof of this to the Quebec government (there is a page to download) and they will send you a certificate good for all of your kids. No real big deal.

I would recommend to anyone that has kids of daycare age to live in Quebec, due to the excellent and cheap daycare available. It really is excellent. Income taxes are quite a bit higher, but then housing costs, property taxes, and daycare are much lower. If you have older kids out of daycare maybe Ottawa is your best bet, but you definitely won't be able to replace your house for the same cost. Gas is a bit more costly in Quebec because they apply a bit higher tax - a few cents.

Regarding good or bad neighbourhoods in Ottawa and Gatineau, I would say you have to look around. Generally though the bad is a small minority, and what qualifies as bad here probably would be moderate to good elsewhere. This region is prosperous and blessed with many excellent things to see and do!

Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM

65 posts, read 429,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOttawa View Post
Also, there are a few English high schools in Gatineau so that's not a problem if you want your children to go to school in English. One thing though, you can only send your children to english school if either you or your husband went to school in English. You have have to send in proof of this to the Quebec government (there is a page to download) and they will send you a certificate good for all of your kids.
I believe that the parents have to attended 'english' school in Quebec to qualify for the public school system. Otherwise, you'll attend french language school or a fee paying school.

By specifying the english school is in Quebec, almost all new immigrants end up in french school, thereby reducing the need for english schools over time in QC.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:42 AM

1,227 posts, read 2,063,577 times
Actually, your children are obligated by law to attend french elementary school and high school if one of the parents went to school in French.

When it comes to sending your children to Cegep and University, they can choose either language.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:53 AM

2 posts, read 68,046 times
I'm not from OTT or GAT however I have lived in both and have always worked in Ottawa. This question totally depends on your age and situation.

If you are from TO or southern ON, Ottawa would probably more comfortable and familiar to you. I am from Atlantic Canada and Gatineau is more like home to me scenery, size and attitude of the people. Housing in Aylmer is catching up with Ottawa, but In gatineau (old gatineau) there is a huge gap.

You cannot beat Gatineau anywhere in all of Ontario for outdoor recreation, with 5 ski hills, gatineau park with multiple beaches, and numerous lakes and streams and mountains-bordering the city to the north. Gatineau is also nicer scenery wise, with varied topography whereas ottawa is flat. If you are exclusively english however Aylmer is best.

Bottom line it depends on you-if you have multiple children under 5 and are looking for a lower cost of living gatineau will always be lower. If you are retired or do not have kids ON is more than likely better. If you like to live in a larger city Ottawa is 4 times the size of Gatineau and you'd like it better. However if you like more space and the outdoors Gatineau is better.

I'd also like to summarize some differences and clear up some things

-all new neighbourhoods in gatineau have to have buried utilities
-fit and finish of homes in gatineau is not below ottawa standard levels
-standard lots in gatineau are premium lots in Ottawa 50 ft X 100 is the standard in Gatineau
-in Ottawa you pay for water usage in Gatineau its part of your taxes and is a flat rate an extra bill does not come
-land transfer tax is not unique to quebec ontario has it as well just exempt for first time home buyers
-while car licensing is lower in ottawa when my combined lic and ins for the year was totalled the qc total was just over half of the ottawa rate
-doctors have to have qc and on lic for you not to pay for services...you can find lots of walkin clinics in ottawa with on/qc drs..you only have to pay if they are not qc lic
-you can get your gas when your at work if you work in ottawa-so thats null
-you can go to cheo or any ottawa hospital to have children using you QC Health card
-you can shop for groceries in ottawa if you think they are cheaper there which there is no difference in reality
-beer is cheaper in QC and way more readily available
-private med services in qc are lower because wages are lower
-electricity is much cheaper in gatineau
-embrun, russell and rockland should also be considered as they have real estate price advantages over ottawa as well-while remaining in comfortable ON environs
-the transit switch is not easy you have to switch transit systems in dwntwn ottawa-ottawa transit is better
-bridge traffic is bad
-qc taxes are higher on income but with daycare of one child are null and void

Last edited by rysdad; 02-28-2008 at 10:11 AM..

Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 AM

3 posts, read 126,727 times
Default Totally agree with RYSDAD

Excellent points and completely accurate RYDAD, and I can say this because while I am originally from central Ontario I lived in the Gatineau area for close to 10 years. Now I'm back in the Vars area.

I want to clear up the question of schooling in English in Quebec. My wife is from Quebec and is french and always attended school in French. I attended school in English in Ontario. Because I attended school in English, my children have the option to go to school in English. If I had attended a french school, and possibly even french immersion, they would not have had the option to go to school in French. Also, if I had arrived from another country my children would not have had to option to go to school in French. The only exceptions to this are if your children go to a english private school for a few years, then after they may be eligible to go to an English public school. This is all designed to make it very difficult, if not impossible for immigrants to get their children into English public school. I

n Quebec they want to ensure that the maximum number of children are schooled in French, and that immigrant integrate well within the French society in Quebec, which I don't disagree with. Unfortunately some people get caught in the system, I've heard a case of a man from Winnipeg who went to french immersion with an Austrailan wife (who spoke English) who didn't meet the above criteria and so were forced to send their children to French school. I believe that this has now been overturned, but you can see how porblems could arise.

Cheers

Old 03-04-2008, 07:10 PM

2 posts, read 68,111 times
Thanks for all your replies and comments so far-really appreciated, and I agree with points made.

I guess my deep-rooted concern is whether anyone has felt like me-as an outsider Anglo even though I get by in french (with an accent, bien sur!).

I have to keep one kid in English school for a speech disability and the other in French school and it seems to isolate us even more! I'm still considering moving to Orleans or Beacon Hill for the variety of school boards there and to try to fit in to the neighbourhood better, as a completely open bilingual family.

Anyone else know what I mean? Also, anyone recommend one area of Orleans over another? The commute can't be too much of a killer!!

Thanks again!

Old 03-05-2008, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 68,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lljcj View Post
Thanks for all your replies and comments so far-really appreciated, and I agree with points made.

I guess my deep-rooted concern is whether anyone has felt like me-as an outsider Anglo even though I get by in french (with an accent, bien sur!).

I have to keep one kid in English school for a speech disability and the other in French school and it seems to isolate us even more! I'm still considering moving to Orleans or Beacon Hill for the variety of school boards there and to try to fit in to the neighbourhood better, as a completely open bilingual family.

Anyone else know what I mean? Also, anyone recommend one area of Orleans over another? The commute can't be too much of a killer!!

Thanks again!
I completely know what you mean and I recently moved from Templeton(old gatineau) to Aylmer because of it. I would equate my move to moving from val d or to moncton. Aylmer is probably 50-50 or 60-40 anglo even though the stats say otherwise.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:41 AM

1 posts, read 33,887 times
I have never had any problem speaking English in Aylmer. The people are great. It's like a small town. 15 min from the ski hill in winter and a public beach down the road in summer. All my neighbours are excellent people, friendly and helpful. I've lived on both sides and prefer Aylmer by far.

Municipal costs in Ottawa have gotten out of hand and are only going to get worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau