Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 16,299 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Acajack for your reply.

My next questions for those with kids are:

1. Our daughter is 4 and attends JK in English in Toronto. Would it be harder or easier now at this age to start attending French schools considering none of us speak French to assist her?

2. Where to start on finding a family doctor in Aylmer/Gatineau. I've read the general discussions and useful info. But am not sure where exactly to start on locating a family doctor? Is there a list to contact from? Can the regular immunizations be done in hospitals and not necessarily in doctors offices?

We welcome any thoughts/experiences.

m2h71
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2011, 08:18 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2h71 View Post
Thanks, Acajack for your reply.

My next questions for those with kids are:

1. Our daughter is 4 and attends JK in English in Toronto. Would it be harder or easier now at this age to start attending French schools considering none of us speak French to assist her?
Your child is young and they do have some special catch-up classes for kids who cannot already speak French. She would probably do fine.

Keep in mind though that if she goes to French school all communications with parents are in French (notes, report cards, etc.).

Also, if your child started English school in Toronto then she might be eligible to attend English schools in Quebec. Had she not started school in English in Ontario already she would have to go to French and would not have the option.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:19 AM

26,875 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
2. Where to start on finding a family doctor in Aylmer/Gatineau. I've read the general discussions and useful info. But am not sure where exactly to start on locating a family doctor? Is there a list to contact from? Can the regular immunizations be done in hospitals and not necessarily in doctors offices?

m2h71
Very tough. Places called CLSC (Centre local de santé communautaire) have waiting lists to get a family doctor. You have to sign up for it with them. There is a CLSC in each part of the city.

You probably need a Quebec health card number before signing up for the list though.

Old 12-15-2011, 11:23 AM

418 posts, read 784,434 times
Quote:

m2h71
When I lived in Aylmer I had my doctor in Ottawa... who accepted
the Quebec medical card. There was a form I needed to complete
for each visit.

Active Care Clinic location in Kanata was the location. If you walk
in without a doc... you may just find one there willing to accept you
as a regular patient.

You can also use the search below...

All Doctors Search | Doctor Search | College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario

...but I'm not sure how up to date their lists are with respect
to doctors accepting new patients.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:20 AM

4 posts, read 16,299 times
Acajack and Paul56,
Belated thanks to your replies. I was not able to visit the forum until now and just saw your helpful replies.
Happy holidays.

Old 02-07-2014, 03:31 PM

38 posts, read 325,773 times
Default Great source of info on Aylmer Quebec

Those who are contemplating moving or have already moved to Aylmer Quebec might find the following websites of value for discovering the lifestyles, places and things to do in Aylmer.

Also a great way to interact with other local Aylmerites.

www.facebook.com/chezaylmer

Chez Aylmer

Old 01-25-2017, 12:35 AM

1 posts, read 1,236 times
Hi,
so did u move? and how do you find it?
Any advice / tips? As i am in the same boat, except that i am a single dad with 2 toddlers.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 PM

1 posts, read 895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yassakiwi View Post
Hey everyone!
I've lived in Montreal for the past 9 years and I'm getting sick of it...its big, dirty, people are stressed out, etc.

I've visited Ottawa last week end and I just loved it!
I'm looking at the avergage cost to rent an apartment. Do you think it cost more than in Montreal? If its more, than are the apartments better? Does it cost less in Gatineau than Ottawa? What about the general cost of living?

I'm married and I have a 4 year old son. We are french speaking, but I'm billingual (not the best, but ok, I guess...) how are the schools (both english and french) Is it like in Montreal where in some neighborhood its good and some very bad?? I must admit that one of the reason I'm thinking about moving to Ottawa is the school system in Montreal...

Its really sudden for me to think about Ottawa and I'm a bit idealistic I guess.. so any information is more than welcome!

I myself am from Montreal in the north end. Been living here far too long and need a major change in atmosphere. I also am seriously thinking of moving to live in Gatineau, Hull, Ottawa area. I've visited a few times for vacation and I loved it, the summers are gorgeous. Really need a change. Can anyone offer some suggestions about best places to live as a bachelor eh? lmao

Old 02-19-2018, 07:30 AM

28 posts, read 44,461 times
Glad you enjoyed your visit. If you end up making the move and start looking at English schools on the Ottawa side, go for the Catholic school board. Avoid the public school board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau