Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 07:00 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Gatineau schools, from what I hear, are all good.
First time I have ever heard that Gatineau schools are all good. Certainly, the two main private high schools in Gatineau (St-Joseph and St-Alexandre) are among the best in Quebec but otherwise our high schools have serious dropout rate problems: similar to elsewhere in Quebec including Montreal.

As for me personally, my kids are in French public elementary school in Gatineau and my assessment of the school (I have five years experience with it) is that it is excellent. Not sure if this is the case for all elementary schools in Gatineau (we are in a nice neighbourhood), but most people I know whose kids go to other schools have no complaints.

Since I am originally an Ottawa francophone my only true point of comparison is the Ottawa French schools attended by children of friends and relatives. Apparently the Ottawa French schools are among the best schools in all of Ontario (which includes hundreds or even thousands of schools, mostly English of course, but some French also). Judging from what my kids have learned in Gatineau compared to what kids their age learn in Ottawa (in all subjects, not just French), I am no longer sure about the superiority of the Ontario school system over the Quebec one.

My nephews and nieces in Ottawa French schools (from areas with favourable demographics) seem far less advanced than my kids, and do less advanced stuff in school.

Plus, you may or may not care about this but kids who go to Ottawa French schools all seem to speak "sucky" French laden with anglicisms and English syntax, that is when you can get them to speak French at all. The one exception in Ottawa seems to be Lycée Claudel, which is a private international school (6-7000 dollars a year that follows the educational system of France).

Anyway, my kids live in Gatineau (which hardly has the most polished French to begin with), but they almost sound like members of the Parisian elite when compared to most of their cousins in Ottawa!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:45 AM

24 posts, read 111,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
First time I have ever heard that Gatineau schools are all good. Certainly, the two main private high schools in Gatineau (St-Joseph and St-Alexandre) are among the best in Quebec but otherwise our high schools have serious dropout rate problems: similar to elsewhere in Quebec including Montreal.

As for me personally, my kids are in French public elementary school in Gatineau and my assessment of the school (I have five years experience with it) is that it is excellent. Not sure if this is the case for all elementary schools in Gatineau (we are in a nice neighbourhood), but most people I know whose kids go to other schools have no complaints.

Since I am originally an Ottawa francophone my only true point of comparison is the Ottawa French schools attended by children of friends and relatives. Apparently the Ottawa French schools are among the best schools in all of Ontario (which includes hundreds or even thousands of schools, mostly English of course, but some French also). Judging from what my kids have learned in Gatineau compared to what kids their age learn in Ottawa (in all subjects, not just French), I am no longer sure about the superiority of the Ontario school system over the Quebec one.

My nephews and nieces in Ottawa French schools (from areas with favourable demographics) seem far less advanced than my kids, and do less advanced stuff in school.

Plus, you may or may not care about this but kids who go to Ottawa French schools all seem to speak "sucky" French laden with anglicisms and English syntax, that is when you can get them to speak French at all. The one exception in Ottawa seems to be Lycée Claudel, which is a private international school (6-7000 dollars a year that follows the educational system of France).

Anyway, my kids live in Gatineau (which hardly has the most polished French to begin with), but they almost sound like members of the Parisian elite when compared to most of their cousins in Ottawa!
Could you tell me more about the great neighbourhood to live in Gatineau? I must admit that we are not amongst the ones who can afford to buy a house, but we are a family of 3 and my husband and I are both working. We would like to rent a nice apartment (2 or 3 bedrooms, depending on the location/price)

I must say that I'm worried about the criminality over there... All right, I'm living in Montreal and its definetly not the best but I would'nt want to leave Montreal for another city and finding the exact type of situation I'm in right now...

Can you tell me if there are places that I must avoid to look for an apartment??

Old 07-25-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yassakiwi View Post
Could you tell me more about the great neighbourhood to live in Gatineau? I must admit that we are not amongst the ones who can afford to buy a house, but we are a family of 3 and my husband and I are both working. We would like to rent a nice apartment (2 or 3 bedrooms, depending on the location/price)

I must say that I'm worried about the criminality over there... All right, I'm living in Montreal and its definetly not the best but I would'nt want to leave Montreal for another city and finding the exact type of situation I'm in right now...

Can you tell me if there are places that I must avoid to look for an apartment??
Contrary to Montreal, Gatineau does not have large areas of rental properties populated by families with two parents working. Gatineau is a fairly small city and so places to buy houses (sometimes new ones) are not that far from the centre of the city. Gatineau's economy is quite good and the housing (to buy) is fairly affordable so most families do not tend to live in apartments for very long before they end up buying at least a semi-detached.

Since Ottawa is a larger city than Gatineau, you may find more families renting there (à la Montreal), especially in the centre of the city.

Both Ottawa and Gatineau are very safe - you should not be worried about crime at all here. Of course, some areas are not so nice but there aren't any really *dangerous* areas.

Good and bad areas tend to vary from street to street and are often in the same neighbourhood. (Montreal is like this as well I find.) For example, central Gatineau (Vieux-Hull) is generally not so nice but its far western part (west of Rue Montcalm) is quite nice.

Alta Vista in Ottawa is one of the nicest and most expensive areas to own a house, but if you want to rent something generally Alta Vista is not so nice.

There are lots of modern and spacious apartments in the area of Gatineau known as Le Plateau (boul. St-Raymond near boul. du Plateau and boul. des Grives), but it is best to have access to a car if you want to live there.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Contrary to Montreal, Gatineau does not have large areas of rental properties populated by families with two parents working. Gatineau is a fairly small city and so places to buy houses (sometimes new ones) are not that far from the centre of the city. Gatineau's economy is quite good and the housing (to buy) is fairly affordable so most families do not tend to live in apartments for very long before they end up buying at least a semi-detached.

Since Ottawa is a larger city than Gatineau, you may find more families renting there (à la Montreal), especially in the centre of the city.

Both Ottawa and Gatineau are very safe - you should not be worried about crime at all here. Of course, some areas are not so nice but there aren't any really *dangerous* areas.

Good and bad areas tend to vary from street to street and are often in the same neighbourhood. (Montreal is like this as well I find.) For example, central Gatineau (Vieux-Hull) is generally not so nice but its far western part (west of Rue Montcalm) is quite nice.

Alta Vista in Ottawa is one of the nicest and most expensive areas to own a house, but if you want to rent something generally Alta Vista is not so nice.

There are lots of modern and spacious apartments in the area of Gatineau known as Le Plateau (boul. St-Raymond near boul. du Plateau and boul. des Grives), but it is best to have access to a car if you want to live there.
I have been apartment hunting just to see what's out there. Google map helps a lot to have a quick view of the street and suroundings. I'm definatly gonna come and visit more in fall though...
We already own a car, but I intend to buy one for myself if we move.

My first idea was to move to Ottawa because I just loved it.. but its way too expensive to rent or buy, and moneywise, it would'nt be a very clever move for a familly... well, thats what I got from a different topic in this forum at least.

The main things I'm looking for is affordable renting cost (not over a $1000 like in Ottawa), great neighbourhood (No problem with diversity, we are actually a mixt couple. But just sick of the street gangs, drug dealers, crowded neighbourhoods, etc..), good school for my son nearby, affordable daycare if I have another child one day, great outdoor stuff to do nearby (I'd love to live close to the river or close to a park, for exemple) and job opportunities (for that part, we are pretty sure that we will be able to find something quickly).

I've heard nice things about Le Plateau and also about Aylmer..

Well, its a pretty big move and I guess I want to learn as much as I can about Ottawa and Gatineau before I decide anything.

Thanks everyone!

Old 07-25-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I have been apartment hunting just to see what's out there. Google map helps a lot to have a quick view of the street and suroundings. I'm definatly gonna come and visit more in fall though...
We already own a car, but I intend to buy one for myself if we move.

My first idea was to move to Ottawa because I just loved it.. but its way too expensive to rent or buy, and moneywise, it would'nt be a very clever move for a familly... well, thats what I got from a different topic in this forum at least.

The main things I'm looking for is affordable renting cost (not over a $1000 like in Ottawa), great neighbourhood (No problem with diversity, we are actually a mixt couple. But just sick of the street gangs, drug dealers, crowded neighbourhoods, etc..), good school for my son nearby, affordable daycare if I have another child one day, great outdoor stuff to do nearby (I'd love to live close to the river or close to a park, for exemple) and job opportunities (for that part, we are pretty sure that we will be able to find something quickly).

I've heard nice things about Le Plateau and also about Aylmer..

Well, its a pretty big move and I guess I want to learn as much as I can about Ottawa and Gatineau before I decide anything.

Thanks everyone!
You should read this thread regarding Aylmer:
What are the best neighborhoods of Aylmer, QC?

My impressions of Aylmer are that it is a bit like Alta Vista: areas to buy homes there are nice but rental areas vary in niceness.

Of course, even in a not-so-nice area you won't usually have to worry about gangs and drug dealing on the streets here.

Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 AM

Quote:
You should read this thread regarding Aylmer:
What are the best neighborhoods of Aylmer, QC?

My impressions of Aylmer are that it is a bit like Alta Vista: areas to buy homes there are nice but rental areas vary in niceness.

Of course, even in a not-so-nice area you won't usually have to worry about gangs and drug dealing on the streets here.

Thanks a lot!

Old 07-26-2011, 02:40 PM

536 posts, read 1,429,811 times
Acajack, I wouldn't call dropout rates an effect of bad schools. I think many people are not made for school. We should be able to realize pretty early when a kid is not into academics in order to better prepare them to learn trades. Not everybody can be a lawyer. We need plumbers and electricians, too.

The plumber I recently hired for a job drives a nicer car than me.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick99 View Post
Acajack, I wouldn't call dropout rates an effect of bad schools. I think many people are not made for school. We should be able to realize pretty early when a kid is not into academics in order to better prepare them to learn trades. Not everybody can be a lawyer. We need plumbers and electricians, too.

The plumber I recently hired for a job drives a nicer car than me.
I see what you mean - but only to a point. There is a big difference between a high school diploma and an LLB. Plus, to become a plumber or an electrician you still need the basic skills you learn in high school.

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM

16 posts, read 47,629 times
Quote:
Hey everyone!
I've lived in Montreal for the past 9 years and I'm getting sick of it...its big, dirty, people are stressed out, etc.

I've visited Ottawa last week end and I just loved it!
I'm looking at the avergage cost to rent an apartment. Do you think it cost more than in Montreal? If its more, than are the apartments better? Does it cost less in Gatineau than Ottawa? What about the general cost of living?

I'm married and I have a 4 year old son. We are french speaking, but I'm billingual (not the best, but ok, I guess...) how are the schools (both english and french) Is it like in Montreal where in some neighborhood its good and some very bad?? I must admit that one of the reason I'm thinking about moving to Ottawa is the school system in Montreal...

Its really sudden for me to think about Ottawa and I'm a bit idealistic I guess.. so any information is more than welcome!

Hello,

I am born and raised in Ottawa. To answer your questions:

The average cost in renting a one bedroom apartment in a decent area is $800-900 per month. For a two bedroom you are looking at $900-$1100 I actually find it quite costly to live here. You can get apartments cheaper but parent to parent.. you do not want this as you will be living in Vanier or Heatherington which are rough areas. I also find you can get alot more in Quebec esthetically wise, I wish landlords would upgrade and renovate apartments more in Ottawa and not charge an arm and a leg. I've seen beautiful apartments in Gatineau for $700.00 a month for a 2 bedroom but in Ottawa you would pay $1100.00 for that same apartment.

Daycare is another thing, in Quebec you have the luxury of $7 a day daycare not in Ontario it ranges from $20-$45 a day depending if you need before/after care or full days.

As for schools PLEASE PLEASE put your son in a french immersion school and not in an english school as Ottawa is a bilingual city and it will benefit him in the future. Schools are the same here in Montreal, nicer neighborhood, nicer schools, crappy area, horrible schools.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 AM

There are no widespread bad areas in Ottawa like in some other cities. Mostly it is one street or two or three streets that are to be avoided.

Vanier these days is not a particularly nice area and some of the worst streets are the ones around Blake and Marier.

Other not-so nice areas of Ottawa for rentals are:

Heatherington (as mentioned)
Downpatrick
Draper
Ramsey
Dumaurier
Bayshore
Woodridge
Southvale
Morrison
Morisset
Monterey
Ledbury
Mart Circle
Debra Ave.
St. Laurent and Hemlock (although the single-family home area nearby is very nice)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau