Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2012, 05:30 AM

10 posts, read 21,478 times

Advertisements

Hello, we recently sold our house in Nova Scotia and with the money we made off the sale we have the opportunity to move anywhere in Canada. I have a husband and two elementary aged children. Ottawa sounds like a great city to raise a family...When we moved there would it be easy to find a nice/safe area to live if we weren't making over $60,000 annually? Are there any areas where we could live in nice apartment and send kids to a good school that doesn't cost a fortune but also puts us in nice area?
How is quality of life for a family in Ottawa?
Thanks, any advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 06:34 PM

344 posts, read 812,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea/snow View Post
Hello, we recently sold our house in Nova Scotia and with the money we made off the sale we have the opportunity to move anywhere in Canada. I have a husband and two elementary aged children. Ottawa sounds like a great city to raise a family...When we moved there would it be easy to find a nice/safe area to live if we weren't making over $60,000 annually? Are there any areas where we could live in nice apartment and send kids to a good school that doesn't cost a fortune but also puts us in nice area?
How is quality of life for a family in Ottawa?
Thanks, any advice welcome.
Ottawa's one of the nicest cities in Canada. All sorts of places to live, some of which will be affordable to you if you look around.

You should visit while it's nice and take the time to get to know it-that from my experience trumps all other means of deciding. Anyway, I give it 2 thumbs up.

Old 08-26-2012, 06:29 PM

3 posts, read 4,189 times
I moved from Nova Scotia to Ottawa with my parents when I was 10. We lived in Orleans, which is a suburb on the east end of the city, and I went to a great middle school and high school in the area.

The houses in the suburbs are, of course, generally cheaper than being downtown and the neighbourhoods are all very family-oriented (I lived in Queenswood Heights and Fallingbrook, both very safe). Orleans was a good place to grow up, and Nepean and Kanata on the west end were nice too. Ottawa has a decent transit system to get people into the downtown core (no subways or light rail - yet - but there are lots of buses and they have designated lanes in the highway so it's not so bad).

If you're not into suburbs, you might find some of the South end neighbourhoods to your liking (Alta Vista, Mooney's Bay) although I believe they're pricier. There are new developments in the Lebreton area, just west of downtown, which might be cheaper but I'm not totally sure.

Ultimately you will find good schools and amenities throughout Ottawa. This might not be the case for you, but I found that when I started school in Ottawa I had to catch up on my core French, as what I'd learned in Nova Scotia was behind what my classmates in Ottawa had been taught (I wasn't in immersion in Halifax or Ottawa - I was still behind). This was in 1999 - things may have changed since then and, again, it could have just been my school.

You'll find lots of Maritimers in Ottawa. Many, like my family, who were posted by the military. Ottawa is a beautiful, clean city with lots to offer young families. Hope it all works out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau