U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 12:07 PM

25 posts, read 61,677 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 with twin 8th grade boys. Currently, we live in a suburb of New York City. My husband and I are cognitive psychologists and we work with children and adults with cognitive impairments. Our area of expertise is academic remediation - we help young children and adults compensate for learning difficulties. We are writing a book about our approach to cognitive remediation and are developing a mobile app that helps students with executive function problems (in actuality all students would benefit). In addition, we have a lot of research experience working with clinical populations including Alzheimer's dementia patients. We would appreciate any suggestions about schools and neighborhoods. We would like our children to be immersed in French and we would be renters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 09:15 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
I actually live closer to Ottawa than Montreal. I live in Gatineau, Quebec which is right across the river.

Regarding schools, you might want to start searching the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board's site for info on immersion, etc. I know they have a range of programs including early, middle and late French immersion. Their site should have more details.

Also, Ontario has publicly-funded Catholic schools. Not sure if you are Catholic and/or interested in sending your kids there but they offer similar programs to the non-confessional school board I referenced above.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:33 PM

25 posts, read 61,677 times
Thanks for picking up the Ottawa thread! Our kids are attending a highly ranked school which has its pluses and minuses. Elementary school was great - creative and support. Middle school has been very uneven, and for the most part not that great. High school here is pressure cooker that we would like to avoid. We are looking for a school that teaches in French, has strong math and technology programs, and is creative. I realize you live in Gatineau, but do you know anything about the schools?

Old 08-01-2012, 09:09 AM

Here is a site that ranks all high schools in Ontario that might help:

Compare academic rankings and ratings of Ontario schools

Search for the school boards that have Ottawa in their name (public and catholic) and they will cover Ottawa and suburbs like Gloucester, Nepean, Kanata, Orleans, etc.

Schools generally have defined geographic areas - you go to the school closest to where you live, but there is also the option of going to another school if there is extra space available there. Generally it is first come first served.

One of the best public high schools is Lisgar in downtown Ottawa - parents from other school zones actually camp out overnight to get first crack at available spots there.

I think a lot of the high schools listed for Ottawa offer French immersion programs - which is to say all subjects are taught in French but the school itself is still an English school.

Ottawa also has "French first" schools which are similar to the French-language schools in Quebec. On the list these would be listed with "French" as the teaching language. Schools with immersion would still be listed as English.

In some cases the level of French in Ottawa's *real* French schools is not quite as advanced as in Quebec but it is still more advanced that in immersion because most of the kids would speak at least some French at home in addition to school.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 PM

236 posts, read 750,216 times
Geographically, the French schools and areas with most francophone residents are in the east region of the Ottawa area. Vanier, Orleans, then out of the city into small towns. There are French schools in other parts of the city too, but they are more sparsely concentrated. There's a French Lycee, the Lycee Claudel, for kindergarten up to university prep and advanced placement; some subjects, like history, are Canadian curriculum, but most subjects are taught according to the Lycee system based in France. They have a Website here (French only): Lycée Claudel Ottawa

Most French schools admit based on which "catchment" area you would be residing in. You should look up the French school boards for Ottawa online for specifics on the schools themselves. Some are Catholic, some are secular.

Old 08-04-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Ottawa One View Post
Geographically, the French schools and areas with most francophone residents are in the east region of the Ottawa area. Vanier, Orleans, then out of the city into small towns. There are French schools in other parts of the city too, but they are more sparsely concentrated. There's a French Lycee, the Lycee Claudel, for kindergarten up to university prep and advanced placement; some subjects, like history, are Canadian curriculum, but most subjects are taught according to the Lycee system based in France. They have a Website here (French only): Lycée Claudel Ottawa

Most French schools admit based on which "catchment" area you would be residing in. You should look up the French school boards for Ottawa online for specifics on the schools themselves. Some are Catholic, some are secular.
A note about the French first schools is that they may not let the kids in if the parents or the kids don't speak French already.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:16 AM

3 posts, read 17,957 times
OK, skipping the Fraser report on schools, here's my informal opinions on what are the good schools in the city for your Eighth graders (are they going into 9th grade this September?):

Grade 6-8:

* Ashbury (20K/year private school) ==> Rockcliffe/New Edinburgh/Lowertown/Vanier
* Hopewell (I believe they go up to grade 8) ==> Old Ottawa South
* Glashan (very multicultural and diverse and is highly regarded) ==> Glebe/Centretown/Sandy Hill
* Broadview ==> Westboro-ish area

Grade 9-12:

* Lisgar ==> Centretown/Sandy Hill/New Edinburgh
* Glebe Collegiate ==> Glebe
* Nepean High School ==> Westboro & areas
* Colonel By ==> Beacon Hill/Rothwell Heights

Grade 7-12

* Immaculata Catholic High School ==> Glebe/Centretown/New Edinburgh/Rockcliffe

Again, this is not an exhaustive list but it represents schools that I am familiar with. They are all in pretty older, established neighbourhoods in the city...

...the main thing is that 7-8 can be a challenge if you're not going to a catholic school as they have to go to middle schools that seem to be uneven...but the high schools I've listed are absolutely top-notch in the city and you can do no wrong sending your kids to them...IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau