U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM

4 posts, read 1,713 times

Advertisements

Hi guys

One more question. I am Chinese, and my parents will come to stay with me in ottawa when I move there for a short-term job. However, my mother doesn't speak English or French. Assuming that I don't want to leave her alone at home all the time when I am working, any suggestions where she could go? Making Chinese friends ( but I don't even know one myself) or any community things to do would likely fit her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM

16,222 posts, read 25,409,215 times
Hi and welcome!

I'm new to Ottawa myself and I'm not Chinese but I googled "Chinese community Ottawa" and came up with a few hits that, although focused on integration of Chinese newcomers, may be able to help you. I'd suggest calling one or several of them to see if they can suggest activities for your parents:

https://www.google.com/search?biw=16....0.dZNtFcSKb-4

I do, though, know of two great (to me) Chinese restaurants. They might not be authentic or to their (or your) tastes, but I enjoy both of these:

Asian Dragon in Barrhaven. The owner there was shocked the first time I came in (it's just a take-out place; no tables) and ordered mapo tofu (mapo doufu ) She told me that it's basically Chinese comfort food and that very few non-Asians order it or even know about it. It's my favorite.

Golden Palace in Nepean. They're known especially for their egg rolls. It's the go-to Chinese place in Ottawa, apparently, but I prefer Asian Dragon.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 AM

20,571 posts, read 25,620,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xla100 View Post
Hi guys

One more question. I am Chinese, and my parents will come to stay with me in ottawa when I move there for a short-term job. However, my mother doesn't speak English or French. Assuming that I don't want to leave her alone at home all the time when I am working, any suggestions where she could go? Making Chinese friends ( but I don't even know one myself) or any community things to do would likely fit her.
You've noted where Ottawa's Chinatown is located, along Somerset St. West near Bronson and Booth?

Old 02-12-2018, 11:47 AM

27 posts, read 16,710 times
T&T supermarket at Hunt Club Road and Riverside Drive.

Old 02-12-2018, 01:49 PM

17 posts, read 6,392 times
Why limit yourself to just "Chinese things"? Why not open up the horizon and do the Canadian things instead? I tend to encourage people to have an open mind when it comes to culture, and try not to enclose oneself within the confines of any one particular community. That seems to be the problem of the Chinese community in Vancouver and Toronto. Never mind the language barrier. Just go out, explore the whole city and have fun.

According to StatCan, there are 1,577,060 Chinese in Canada (2016 Census), of which only 41,155 of them in Ottawa. The bulk is in Vancouver and Toronto. One can imagine the relatively small scale of the Chinese community here. Even in the heart of Chinatown on Somerset Street, there is a strong presence of the Vietnamese community among the others, so it is not entirely Chinese. It's a mixture of various Asian cultures. There's just not too many "Chinese things" to do except having meals at the few Chinese restaurants that spread out sporadically in the area.

If "Chinese things" you must have, then I'd suggest you to take a four hours long train ride to Toronto. You'd be much satisfied. The Chinese community is far more prominent and well established there, as you are no doubt aware. If Chinese in Canada is considered a Visible Minority, then Chinese in Ottawa is almost qualified as Invisible Minority depending on how you look at it. I strongly recommend you to do the Canadian things instead. You know what they say about being in Rome....

Old 02-13-2018, 05:23 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bless-u View Post
Why limit yourself to just "Chinese things"? Why not open up the horizon and do the Canadian things instead? I tend to encourage people to have an open mind when it comes to culture, and try not to enclose oneself within the confines of any one particular community. That seems to be the problem of the Chinese community in Vancouver and Toronto. Never mind the language barrier. Just go out, explore the whole city and have fun.

According to StatCan, there are 1,577,060 Chinese in Canada (2016 Census), of which only 41,155 of them in Ottawa. The bulk is in Vancouver and Toronto. One can imagine the relatively small scale of the Chinese community here. Even in the heart of Chinatown on Somerset Street, there is a strong presence of the Vietnamese community among the others, so it is not entirely Chinese. It's a mixture of various Asian cultures. There's just not too many "Chinese things" to do except having meals at the few Chinese restaurants that spread out sporadically in the area.

If "Chinese things" you must have, then I'd suggest you to take a four hours long train ride to Toronto. You'd be much satisfied. The Chinese community is far more prominent and well established there, as you are no doubt aware. If Chinese in Canada is considered a Visible Minority, then Chinese in Ottawa is almost qualified as Invisible Minority depending on how you look at it. I strongly recommend you to do the Canadian things instead. You know what they say about being in Rome....
Yes but the O.P. said his mother does not speak English or French. It would be a risk for someone of a certain age to go around alone in an unfamiliar city and not be able to even ask for the most basic of directions or call for help if you trip and fall or something along that line. Your suggestion of Toronto is out of the question as well or otherwise I'd have suggested Montreal which is only two hours away from Ottawa and still has a larger Chinese community than Ottawa. The O.P. is moving with his parents to Ottawa for a temporary job, not Toronto, not Montreal, or any other place, and so he wants to find spots where his mother can meet people of her own kind and participate in activities. The best place to start IMO is Chinatown aka Somerset Heights where the O.P. might be able to find a Chinese oriented community centre. I perfectly understand where the O.P. is coming from based on the experiences of my own parents. Sheesh, your comment is so ignorant. Do you really think every newcomer is a stereotypical young and fit backpacker ready to dive into a foreign culture just to get "exposure" and hope for the best?

Old 02-22-2018, 12:27 PM

156 posts, read 84,739 times
bless-u says the right things with good intentions. but i don't think bless-u knows the reality of East Asian culture being very close-minded and ethnic-oriented. For the older people, language is not the problem. Even if they spoke good English, they will seek other Chinese people. I know because I'm Korean and it's a similar culture.

Heck, if you go to Niagara Falls, there are couple of big Korean restaurants and you wonder why they are so big because there are barely any Koreans living in that region. Why? because Korean tourists come from Korea and they all want to eat Korean food. They come all the way here to Canada and do not want to try local food. They are not willing to try something else. That's how they think.

Having said that, about bless-u's comment being ignorant. I don't think that's the case and it is too harsh and uncalled for.

OP, if you don't know any Chinese person in Ottawa, I guess you'll have to make some connections with local Chinese community. You can ask around in the Chinese supermarket and Chinese restaurants. Sometimes there are trade boards or associations. For example, in Montreal there is a Hunan Commerce Association.

Old 02-24-2018, 09:01 AM

1,684 posts, read 3,204,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
bless-u

Having said that, about bless-u's comment being ignorant. I don't think that's the case and it is too harsh and uncalled for.
Bless-u's following statement "That seems to be the problem of the Chinese community in Vancouver and Toronto." is the one I had the most issue with. The sentence implies that there's a "problem" with a certain ethnicity being close-minded. Is it a problem though or just a matter of choice? Making a general blanket statement about an entire ethnicity and then referring to it as a problem in today's society shows bias or ignorance in my opinion.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:30 AM

4,288 posts, read 3,934,881 times
I believe I saw several Chinese buffets in Ottawa, You might want to do a quick google search.

Old 07-06-2018, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 1,529 times
Hello, I am also Chinese. I won't be so critical about looking for Chinese things in particular, neither do i wish to see so many Chinese elements in a city making it so Chinese that I might as well stay in China. Best way is to mingle and respect the local culture, keeping things as it is. However, I do wish to know some families from the same culture, so our kids can play together, and our elderly can get together playing Majhong, having a cup of tea from time to time. For the elderly parents especially it's important keeping their own way of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or