Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:20 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post

I think that we need “holiday visa” to visit the US. If I would have some Canadian papers, for example working contract, then maybe that would change things. How much cheaper would you say that shopping in Syracuse is compared to Ottawa?

Pretty sure Swedes don't need visas to enter the U.S. for tourist visits.

It depends on the value of the CAD but generally the best deals in the U.S. are on clothing. Electronics used to be a bargain too but not so much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Oh, it’s too bad that you must be a citizen, I would definitely choose security (holidays, sick days etc.) over a larger salary. But I’ll just have to look amongst private companies.
Would you say it’s better to look for a retail/services job on the internet or in person when I get to the city? What is the minimum pay like?

Minimum wage in Ontario is about 14 CAD an hour. That's what most retail and service jobs pay.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:

Thanks, they look like real fun! Oh, nice! I guess that you can visit the mountains during summer as well for hiking?.

Some of the ski resorts shut down during the summer but bigger ones like Tremblant are busy with lots of activities in the summer too. I've been there more in summer than in winter in fact.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:

As I have not been to any of these places, are any of them cheaper than the other? Any of them have more crime?

The Glebe, Old Ottawa East, Old Ottawa South, Westboro, New Edinburgh and the Golden Triangle (Elgin St.) would be the central walkable ones with the least crime.

They also tend to be the most expensive.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:

Okay, that is very good money. In Sweden I could easily provide for a family with 80 000 CAD/year. Would that be the case in Canada as well?

80 000 for a family of four - you could probably manage but it's definitely pushing it in Ottawa. But you don't need that big of a salary jump or second salary in order to bring it up from there to an "OK" standard of living.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:43 AM

Quote:
One thing I've forgotten to ask is, how windy is Ottawa? I know that it might sound as a silly question, but it is actually of rather large relevance. Before arriving in Perth, I read that Perth is the “sunniest large city in the world”, “Mediterranean climate” and a lot of stuff like that. Who cares about wind right?
When it’s on the coast and it’s sunny and warm all the time (not really, but quite a few months a year). But Perth is actually the “windiest capital in Australia”, which is something that has been bothering me since I came here. It is difficult to relax on the beach it you’re almost blown away.
And after lunch time that is almost ALL THE TIME.

So, I guess that it can be a bit windy during winter, but how windy is Ottawa? Something to consider?
Looking at the stats there does not seem to be much of a difference in average wind speed between Perth and Ottawa. Though maybe it depends on the site you look at.

I've lived in this area for quite some time and have never found summer to be especially windy. There is no ocean here or even a big body of water like Lake Ontario in Toronto so that tends to keep the wind down I think.

While the stats only show slight differences in wind speed between the seasons, my general impression (and that of most people) is that the windiest parts of the year are the transition seasons - especially early spring and late September and October when the air masses are shifting between cold and warm or warm and cold.

Winter statistically at least is not much windier than summer but my impression is that it is - probably because the winds are cold and predominantly from the NW.

Summer does seem to be the calmest season. Windy days do occur, but they're fairly exceptional. Perhaps the average wind stats from the summer are affected by thunderstorms, which are fairly common and can bring fairly high winds, but only for 15-30 minutes.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Also OP should keep in mind that during winter Ottawa is VERY cold.

Old 12-14-2018, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
I think the OP knows that. He or she is from Sweden, too.

Old 12-16-2018, 12:10 AM

154 posts, read 197,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pretty sure Swedes don't need visas to enter the U.S. for tourist visits.

It depends on the value of the CAD but generally the best deals in the U.S. are on clothing. Electronics used to be a bargain too but not so much anymore.
I’m actually not sure about that, we do need visas to visit Australia for example. But I cannot remember if we needed visas to visit the US last time I was there, in 2011. Clothing sure, but are not cars, gas, food, furniture and such also a lot cheaper?

I have to ask, as a European I would never seriously consider moving to the US because of safety (guns) and lack of social protection (health insurance, work safety and such). But I’m curious, how does life differ between living in south-eastern Canada and living in north-eastern US (New England region)? Is it a great difference between living in Ottawa and Boston? Or some medium sized New England cities like Portland Maine or Nashua New Hampshire?

I guess that it’s cheaper to live in the US, with larger salaries and smaller taxes, but also with less security. Would there be any other differences?

Quote:
Minimum wage in Ontario is about 14 CAD an hour. That's what most retail and service jobs pay.
That is not that much. I make almost double that here in Oz working as a cashier. Is the best way to approach white collar work online or on site?

Quote:
Some of the ski resorts shut down during the summer but bigger ones like Tremblant are busy with lots of activities in the summer too. I've been there more in summer than in winter in fact.
That sounds great! Any dangerous wildlife to be aware of? Especially when in the woods (hiking/skiing)?

Quote:
The Glebe, Old Ottawa East, Old Ottawa South, Westboro, New Edinburgh and the Golden Triangle (Elgin St.) would be the central walkable ones with the least crime.

They also tend to be the most expensive.
Which one of those are the most “European looking”?

Quote:
80 000 for a family of four - you could probably manage but it's definitely pushing it in Ottawa. But you don't need that big of a salary jump or second salary in order to bring it up from there to an "OK" standard of living.
That is a little bit weird because I’ve gotten the notion that most things are cheaper in Canada than in northern Europe or in Australia. But how much more do you need, a total of 100 – 120k a year?

Quote:
Looking at the stats there does not seem to be much of a difference in average wind speed between Perth and Ottawa. Though maybe it depends on the site you look at.

I've lived in this area for quite some time and have never found summer to be especially windy. There is no ocean here or even a big body of water like Lake Ontario in Toronto so that tends to keep the wind down I think.

While the stats only show slight differences in wind speed between the seasons, my general impression (and that of most people) is that the windiest parts of the year are the transition seasons - especially early spring and late September and October when the air masses are shifting between cold and warm or warm and cold.

Winter statistically at least is not much windier than summer but my impression is that it is - probably because the winds are cold and predominantly from the NW.

Summer does seem to be the calmest season. Windy days do occur, but they're fairly exceptional. Perhaps the average wind stats from the summer are affected by thunderstorms, which are fairly common and can bring fairly high winds, but only for 15-30 minutes.
Yes I also checked those stats. That is what got me worried in the first place. Here it’s really windy as soon as you get close to the sea. More “in land” is not as big a problem. I guess I’ll have to visit and see for myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xander.XVII View Post
Yes, I do know that. But it all depends. If it’s – 8C and a clear day it’s not nearly as bad as -15C when it's windy. The snow helps a lot too. We often get the cold but not the snow, which is just simply depressing.

Old 12-16-2018, 10:15 AM

1,600 posts, read 1,889,067 times
Just to tell, in January I saw -30 with -40 being perceived due to wind, so be aware that Ottawa can be extremely cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau