Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 PM

33,523 posts, read 37,121,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Just to be clear, it is more of a treatment than a cure. The terms New age, spiritual healing, and alternative medicine are thrown around too much. I prefer complimentary spiritual therapy.

I was born six weeks premature. Since birth I have had several nerve, and respiratory issues. Ranging from muscle twitching, adhd, asthma, and pneumonia 7 times. I had been to doctors several times to fix or even just treat the cause, not the symptoms. Never did a doctor do what I asked, the treated the symptoms and never the cause.

While growing up I was raised catholic, got married and joined mormonism, got divorced and went Christian. Finally after about two years of Christian living, I just stopped believing, I felt that it wasn't right for me and that there was something else. I started looking into things and slowly became atheist and a skeptic. My opinion of religion and spiritual practices was harsh and I batted them away one after the other. Then I realized my judgment was bias. My raison d'etre is to seek knowledge and share it when appropriate. It is my passion. So, I started investigating various spiritual claims, I didn't cast judgment, I sat and listened, I was finally starting to understand why people believed in such things. Then I was invited to go to a class that taught reiki and qi gong.

By this time, I had gotten used to the muscle and nerve spasms, adha, and asthma. I figured I would always have it. While at the class, I participated in various things and learned about the practices. Over the next week after the class, I realized I hadn't used my inhaler, I was more focused, and I didn't have any muscle or nerve spasms. two weeks later, still nothing. After a while I had pretty much forgotten about the class and moved on. The adhd, asthma, and everything ele was back just as it was before.

A friend suggested I see a massage therapist to help with the muscle and nerve problems. I looked one up and scheduled an appointment. I had no idea she was one of these "spiritual healers". After one of her sessions, once again, I was without any of my medical issues. At the next session, I asked what she did. She told me she uses various alternative treatments such as reiki, qi gong, and one I still have no idea how to spell, she used crystals, essential oils, sound and auomatherapies. I have gone to see her now for about two and a half years. when I go without for two or more weeks, everything starts to come back, less and less, but it still comes back. She has guided me on how to do all of these things on my own, directed me to books, classes, and others who share an interest.

Now, I don't have to worry about missing a treatment with her, I can do it myself.

I have been "healed" for two and a half years this january.
Reiki lacks scientific credibility. It has not been accepted by the scientific and medical communities as an effective therapy. Reputable scientific studies attesting to the efficacy of Reiki are lacking, as is a plausible scientific explanation as to how it could possibly be efficacious.

In the mid-1990s, at ages 9 and 10, Emily Rosa demonstrated that 21 therapeutic touch (TT) practitioners could not detect her alleged "energy field." Reiki Is Nonsense
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 09:11 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
I met this woman who is into New Age and said she was going to see her "enlightenment teacher" and "spiritual healer." What in God's name is this all about? I had never heard of "New Age" or this concept of a "spiritual healer."

Somebody please, "enlighten" me.
Just another scam artist or snake oil salesman scamming the gullible. They victimize people that go absolutely stupid when someone plays the 'god' card and will accept any absurdity.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:27 PM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Reiki lacks scientific credibility. It has not been accepted by the scientific and medical communities as an effective therapy. Reputable scientific studies attesting to the efficacy of Reiki are lacking, as is a plausible scientific explanation as to how it could possibly be efficacious.

In the mid-1990s, at ages 9 and 10, Emily Rosa demonstrated that 21 therapeutic touch (TT) practitioners could not detect her alleged "energy field." Reiki Is Nonsense
Might want to look again. Many hospitals have certified reiki practitioners on staff. Try explaining it's bogus to people who have been treated and their condition improved or been healed. According to my doctor, I should be on a not one but two steroids, and even hooked up to a breathing machine at night for sleep apnea. I'm not on any, but I keep them handy in case. The scar tissue from the several times I have pneumonia is going away and the doctor told me it wouldn't heal while on steroids, and that I would have it for the rest of my life.

Now, I'm not saying it has the same results with everyone or that they should neglect medical advice. It is purely a complimentary therapy.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
Might want to look again. Many hospitals have certified reiki practitioners on staff. Try explaining it's bogus to people who have been treated and their condition improved or been healed. According to my doctor, I should be on a not one but two steroids, and even hooked up to a breathing machine at night for sleep apnea. I'm not on any, but I keep them handy in case. The scar tissue from the several times I have pneumonia is going away and the doctor told me it wouldn't heal while on steroids, and that I would have it for the rest of my life.

Now, I'm not saying it has the same results with everyone or that they should neglect medical advice. It is purely a complimentary therapy.
Because reki is used in hospitals does not make it valid as a healing tool except as a placebo for those that believe in it...It may give them some comfort, but like prayer it cannot heal.
It has been tested and has failed every test.

In 2011, the ASA objected to unsubstantiated claims on Sweeney's Web site that reiki was an effective therapy for cancer, ADHD, back pain, migraine, depression, anger, low energy, sleeplessness, ADD, sadness, bereavement, tinnitus and sciatica.
In 2011, the ASA objected to unsubstantiated claims by "reiki master" Christina Moore of East Sussex, England, that reiki could treat grief, insomnia, tinnitus, lack of confidence, back pain, constipation, Candida, skin disorders, anxiety, stress, tension, worry and phobias.

Reiki has no substantiated health value and lacks a scientifically plausible rationale. Science-based healthcare settings should not tolerate its use, and scarce government research dollars should not be used to study it further.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:25 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,325,365 times
Interesting since I didn't believe in it. I was skeptic and didn't even know what it was. I tried everything from traditional medicine, respiratory therapy, counseling for adhd, when the science failed, I moved to natural stuff, meditation, vital breath exercises, I even tried prayer. I figured I was stuck with it. I forgot about fixing it and just took the meds that treated the symptoms. I didn't take the adhd or nerve stuff or the steroids for asthma, I didn't like the side effects.

I looked into various spiritual healing techniques and brushed them all off. But because I am a very curious person, I wanted to know more about the people that did this stuff.

I argued your same position and was invited to that class. While in the class I didn't believe in any of it, I was skeptical the whole time, it was only during the next week and a half that I noticed I hadn't used my inhaler, and I didn't have any symptoms. When they came back two weeks after the class, I didn't even think it had anything to do with the class. I figured I just had a good week. When I went to the massage therapist, and had the same result, I had to know what she did. I wanted to know if she worked out a knot in a muscle or what. When she told me what she used, I finally pieced it together.

All I know is that something I am doing is working. I don't care how or why, I am just glad to finally be free from all restrictions I had to put on my life because of my medical problems. You and anyone else can say what they want, but 6 doctors and several therapists could do anything close to what the reiki and other things have. Do you have any idea what it's like to not be able to focus long enough to sit through an hour long class because your mind takes off? Do you have any idea the sort of life restrictions asthmatics have to abide by? Do you have any idea what it's like to have random muscles and nerves spasm uncontrollably and visible for anyone to notice?

I would rather be seen as a nut job for my beliefs and complimentary practices than to be seen as a weirdo because I can't control my own mind, lungs, and nerves.

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 AM

Yes, complimentary healing are words commonly used by the hoaxers that promote fraudulent healing practices.

You have often accused myself and others of being close minded, a roundabout way of saying that you are not. Have you read any of the information I provided on the site I linked to? If not, then I guess you are not so open minded as you think you are...By the way the site includes research on many of the so called alternate healing methods, and much of the info is from the American Medical Association..

This may explain why you are so easily bamboozled. http://www.quackwatch.com/01Quackery.../altpsych.html

Old 11-29-2011, 12:54 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
whole lota false prophets, elizabeth claire prophet wanabees.
u can add timothy leary, the beatles and gloria steinem to the list of false prophets of the 1960's.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:56 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
These are the wizardry and demons healers, were deceived wizards alway believe they are gifted by God and will alway ask for payment for their services ,and basically do some spiritual point of contact and demons deceive the wizard and slowly move away from the person and stop bothering the person , were the wizard does not even know or believe that there is any such a thing as a demon or devil at all, See demons and fallen angels cause sickness and pain and will bring deformities and infirmities to people , like there are mobilities disruptor's, glands disruptor's, mind disruptor, abdomen disruptor demons in the dark spirit of the flesh realm of man and animals .... ........... With Evangelical Healing Ministries of Lord Jesus do not heal anybody, because it is Lord Jesus through His Holy Spirit who does the healing , and these ministry only take a charity of people for their support and do not charge a fee, and these ministries know that there are demons and Jesus is the healer...
I beg to differ.

Illness is caused by viruses, bacteria and various other earthly things. As for deformities, those are caused by various factors. Some by environmental contaminants, genetics and, at times, self mutilation.

The Christian church practices the laying on of hands. No, they don't charge for it outright, not exactly. But then again it has been proven fraudulent more often than not.

Personally, the only "miracles" of this type i've ever seen have been medical in nature.

It's your right to believe as you wish but doing a little solid research couldn't hurt.

Old 11-29-2011, 05:24 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
It was once considered impossible to control automatic processes like your heart rate or blood pressure or temperature.
You most certainly couldn't not feel pain if you were stuck with a needle.
Hypnosis and various other methods are now taught so you can do these things.

Perhaps Reiiki doesn't work the way it's practitioners think it does but I see no reason to pooh-pooh it entirely or attribute any success with it as 'magic' or or miracle

Old 11-29-2011, 07:05 AM

939 posts, read 1,024,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Same could be said for preachers, could it not?
It certainly could. I don't believe in televangelists that claim to have healing powers. If God wants to heal someone he will--but he doesn't need a guy with a rolex in a white suit to bop you on the head first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism