U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 AM

1,656 posts, read 851,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I have not really experienced any hate first hand (though I have encountered 'resistance' from a couple of friends and family members), but I have heard from friends and other people who are some form of pagan that they have been frowned upon.

Can anyone explain to me then why people are critical of any or all of the pagan religions? I'm not an expert on any of the other religions, but I have read up on one of the most 'popular', Christianity, and it seems that the goal is not to try and convert, but allow people to come if they will (basically having open arms) and having acceptance for what walk of life they chose for themselves.
Yes, they do not understand. They grew up with a very 'puritanical" view of basically what to them is the Unknown.
Add to that years of pop culture etc. painting pagans as baby killing Satanists and well, there you go.
I myself, am Christian. I was raised Catholic by my mom, and then my mother switched to Pentecostal, and then when I got on my own, I spent about 12 years or more studying Paganism particularly Celtic magick and then the art of PA Dutch Pow-wow...which my grandmother (my Dad's mom) and several aunts were involved in. I still find it interesting.
It's a path that led eventually back to Christianity and an even deeper faith in Jesus. I'm now a member of a Brethren church (have been for about 12 years) and one of the main things is: no force of religion, and unconditional love.
BTW, my best-friend is a Wiccan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 11:31 AM

8,830 posts, read 6,369,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Yes, they do not understand. They grew up with a very 'puritanical" view of basically what to them is the Unknown.
Add to that years of pop culture etc. painting pagans as baby killing Satanists and well, there you go.
I myself, am Christian. I was raised Catholic by my mom, and then my mother switched to Pentecostal, and then when I got on my own, I spent about 12 years or more studying Paganism particularly Celtic magick and then the art of PA Dutch Pow-wow...which my grandmother (my Dad's mom) and several aunts were involved in. I still find it interesting.
It's a path that led eventually back to Christianity and an even deeper faith in Jesus. I'm now a member of a Brethren church (have been for about 12 years) and one of the main things is: no force of religion, and unconditional love.
BTW, my best-friend is a Wiccan
You sound very well-rounded, this is the way Christians should be.

Old 03-26-2012, 11:37 AM

28,015 posts, read 22,259,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
If you read the bible you'll see why excatly then of course you have those who go to church & blindly believe what they are told, which is we're all evil & worship Satan & eat babies. That's the short of it is that people really don't care to see for themselves what it is we believe or are about. It's much easier to assume then go to the trouble of learning the truth about us. It also doesn't help that they confuse Satanism, etc with Paganism.
And interesting that you do something similar here--trying to make it sound as if all Christians think that way.

It's much easier to assume, of course, than to go to the trouble of learning the truth about us.

Yes, there are some Christians who equate paganism with Satanism. They are usually the same types who are critical of other religions overall, as well as other Christians who are not exactly like them.

Then there are those of us Christians who incorporate some of the pagan practices into our own worship, hehehe (just went to an equinox ceremony run by Catholic nuns.)

Old 03-26-2012, 12:18 PM

4,487 posts, read 2,488,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
And interesting that you do something similar here--trying to make it sound as if all Christians think that way.

It's much easier to assume, of course, than to go to the trouble of learning the truth about us.

Yes, there are some Christians who equate paganism with Satanism. They are usually the same types who are critical of other religions overall, as well as other Christians who are not exactly like them.

Then there are those of us Christians who incorporate some of the pagan practices into our own worship, hehehe (just went to an equinox ceremony run by Catholic nuns.)
Well, Christianity did borrow quite a bit from Pagan religions.

Just saying.........

Old 03-26-2012, 04:02 PM

3,978 posts, read 2,538,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

The majority of Christians do believe as I stated the rest have no clue as to what we believe. Whicl I don't agree personally mixing Christiany/Paganism I applad you for at least taking the time to learn something about Paganism.

Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM

7,080 posts, read 7,275,865 times
I don't understand Pagan as an umbrella term. I especially don't understand people who are pagan who think they can speak for all pagans.

I'm pretty sure that Christians look down on all pagans equally, but for different reasons whether traditionalist (Hindus, Native American trads), reconstructionist (Norse, Greek), or modernist (Wiccans, syncretic ceremonialists).

The former are regarded as simply lost or in need of missionizing, whereas the latter two, since they are usually comprised of peoples with a Christian heritage/ancestry, are actively rejecting God.

Old 03-26-2012, 07:40 PM

58 posts, read 66,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
I beg to differ when it comes to equality, specifically when it comes to fundamentalist's.

Men lead, women follow and that's that.

Honestly, I think they fear our freedom.

Perhaps I should have clarified my statement, I meant "equality" in the context of lack thereof.
However, mainstream religions do seem to share almost equally sexist attitudes and beliefs.

I think if they fear our freedom, they fear our power.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:13 AM

4,487 posts, read 2,488,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaganLady View Post
Perhaps I should have clarified my statement, I meant "equality" in the context of lack thereof.
However, mainstream religions do seem to share almost equally sexist attitudes and beliefs.

I think if they fear our freedom, they fear our power.
Not to mention our ability to think for ourselves!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:28 AM

11,805 posts, read 14,345,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
No one can argue with me about my "belief" simply because they don't have a "label" to go by.
I imagine that we could have a spirited discussion concerning your "belief" whether you label it or not, but I agree that your refusal to label it reduces the preconceptions which others may have. Since one would have to inquire directly about it, there could hardly be any preconceptions!

Old 03-27-2012, 02:54 PM

1,474 posts, read 798,417 times
I just wish that Christians hadn't tried so hard to cover up every other religion...but then if they hadn't done that, they probably wouldn't still be around today.

The average Christian doesn't seem to realize there was religion before there's and that in fact the vast majority of what they believe and worship was taken from the pagan views. There's so much they don't understand, and to an extent, even some pagans don't realize just how much it's been smeared away and is misunderstood.

It is very easy to control people with the notion of supreme powers and the life after death... especially that much easier when they make it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism