Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 07:58 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times

Advertisements

This came across my desk the other day & I thought I'd share it. I'd like to hear not just from the few pagans we have but others as well on this.
Does it matter how Pagans see Jesus or how Christians think we see him? In the end does it really matter? If so how or how not?

“As we respect and honor Christians who grow from their encounters with their sacred literature and their God, so we request a similar respect in our religions with our text and our Gods.”

Pagans and Jesus

I posted under then name Druidwood & these were my thoughts on it.

a Pagan of 16 years plus I have to say that I don’t care how
Christians or anyone else see's me. Nor do I care how other Pagans (
if any) see Jesus. Neopagans might see him differently then other
Pagans only because some of them are Christo/pagans which I think is
a load of bunk but that's not the point. I do respect another persons
right to believe whatever they wish even if I don't agree with them
or not. Sadly Christians do not want to understand us why would they
even care? We're evil in their eyes and that's all that really
matters to them. We're going to hell for rejecting their God. My best
friend is a evangelistic Christian he isn't your typical your going
to hell Christian either nor does he believe in preaching to those
who have no interest in listening. That’s the way it should be you
go your way & I'll go mine & we'll all live in peace. Respect
mine & I'll respect yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
This came across my desk the other day & I thought I'd share it. I'd like to hear not just from the few pagans we have but others as well on this.
Does it matter how Pagans see Jesus or how Christians think we see him? In the end does it really matter? If so how or how not?

“As we respect and honor Christians who grow from their encounters with their sacred literature and their God, so we request a similar respect in our religions with our text and our Gods.”

Both of those books look pretty interesting actually. I'm not Pagan or Christian, but enjoy learning new things and expanding my spiritual awareness.

I do feel some people should reconsider the sorts of examples they are setting as <insert religion here> because I believe it is presumptuous for any one person to claim ownership of God over anyone else.

Also, using one's brain ought to be encouraged in these types of discussions because quoting the bible is like having no opinion at all.

Old 05-28-2012, 09:29 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

Pagans and Jesus

I posted under then name Druidwood & these were my thoughts on it.

a Pagan of 16 years plus I have to say that I don’t care how
Christians or anyone else see's me. Nor do I care how other Pagans (
if any) see Jesus. Neopagans might see him differently then other
Pagans only because some of them are Christo/pagans which I think is
a load of bunk but that's not the point. I do respect another persons
right to believe whatever they wish even if I don't agree with them
or not. Sadly Christians do not want to understand us why would they
even care? We're evil in their eyes and that's all that really
matters to them. We're going to hell for rejecting their God. My best
friend is a evangelistic Christian he isn't your typical your going
to hell Christian either nor does he believe in preaching to those
who have no interest in listening. That’s the way it should be you
go your way & I'll go mine & we'll all live in peace. Respect
mine & I'll respect yours.
I think Mikelee's response will give you your answer - there is a type of Christian who will not accept your right to your beliefs. Because his Holy Book says different, he will not accord you the 'respect' for your religion that he will presumably expect from others.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 05-28-2012 at 09:40 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 12:05 PM

10,607 posts, read 11,654,459 times
[quote=Mikelee81;24502072]Moderator cut: Orphaned
Romans 1

18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

19 Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.

20 For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:

21 Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

22 Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

23 And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.

24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:

25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

The Creator is Jesus Christ (John 1)(Colossians 1:14-17). Only Jesus Christ saves from Damnation.Moderator cut: Orphaned

You should take a lesson from one of the greatest orators of the 19th century: Robert Green Ingersoll.... Who was the son of a Methodist minister.

[Christians tell me that they love their enemies, and yet all I ask is--not that they love their enemies, not that they love their friends even, but that they treat those who differ from them, with simple fairness. We do not wish to be forgiven, but we wish Christians to so act that we will not have to forgive them.]

[If all will admit that all have an equal right to think, then the question is forever solved; but as long as organized and powerful churches, pretending to hold the keys of heaven and hell, denounced every person as an outcast and criminal who thinks for himself and denies their authority, the world will be filled with hatred and suffering. To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all the creeds.]

Last edited by june 7th; 07-08-2012 at 03:21 AM..

Old 05-29-2012, 01:56 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned
Moderator cut: Orphaned The Christianity and Paganism are at odds with each other. Constantine in 321AD legalized Christianity and his successor emperor married this Christianity with the other three Pagan sun worshipers making "Christianity"
(as they called it) the state religion. This mixture of Paganism and Christianity has been passed down through Cathothiscm through the ages, but is unbiblical.

The reason why one can not talk about Jesus without the Bible is that Jesus himself referenced the Scriptures as the "Word of God" on numerous accounts. The way to know who Jesus was, is to read what Jesus said.

All paganism is considered idol worship according to our Maker-Redeemer Jesus Christ.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-14-2012 at 12:34 PM..

Old 05-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
You should take a lesson from one of the greatest orators of the 19th century: Robert Green Ingersoll.... Who was the son of a Methodist minister.

[Christians tell me that they love their enemies, and yet all I ask is--not that they love their enemies, not that they love their friends even, but that they treat those who differ from them, with simple fairness. We do not wish to be forgiven, but we wish Christians to so act that we will not have to forgive them.]

[If all will admit that all have an equal right to think, then the question is forever solved; but as long as organized and powerful churches, pretending to hold the keys of heaven and hell, denounced every person as an outcast and criminal who thinks for himself and denies their authority, the world will be filled with hatred and suffering. To hate man and worship God seems to be the sum of all the creeds.]

Very great post.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:11 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,538,654 times
Hey Reed, part of me doesn't care how one worships, but part of my religion instructs me that I need to share what Jesus taught. And so here we are. I prefer to take the approach of why Christianity is right rather than why pagans are wrong.

And you may be interested to know that I used to live in an area dominated by pagans, wiccans, new-agers and other assorted nonchristians. (Northwestern CA) Christians were not welcome in many ways. Witches and Satanists were actively putting curses on the local churches. In a way the land was cursed. You could feel it "in the air".

Old 05-29-2012, 02:27 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Witches and Satanists were actively putting curses on the local churches. In a way the land was cursed. You could feel it "in the air".

Old 05-29-2012, 02:57 PM

Quote:
LOL.

Kind of different here, but I read a book called "Mutant Message Down Under" which explored the ways of life of an aboriginal tribe in Australia. (great book, btw)

Because they had remained so removed from civilization for thousands of years, they were so in tune with themselves and the Spirit of nature, were continously blessed day in and day out, and obviously did not need practice modern "religion", so to speak.

They were asked if they had heard of Jesus, in which they replied they did. But that they believed Jesus was sent as a messenger to the "civilized societies" where there was much trouble and chaos- because civilzed man had forgotten how to live in peace in his own world & amongst his own kind, and therefor needed Jesus to remind him.

I find this absolutely fascinating. Because while I personally believe Jesus did many good things for many people, not everyone lived their life in a way that was discordant w/ their environment or man's inner/outer nature.

Old 05-29-2012, 02:59 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Pagans and Jesus

In all honesty, the Christian worship of Jesus, Mary, God, the holy spirit, angels, and saints makes Christianity look just as polytheistic as Paganism. Add to this the fact that Christian America celebrates many Pagan Holidays, but call them Christian names (such as Christmas and Easter) sheds some light onto what's really going on.

It's all ironic to me. Protestant Christian America rejects Paganism and accepts the bible as 100% fact. However, their bible was canonized by the once Pagan Roman empire. This is why Christians don't celebrate their God on the 7th day of the week (Saturday). They celebrate their God on the 1st day of the week (Sunday). Sunday is the same day of worship for the ancient Roman God of the Sun. Even today, Christians go to "Sunrise" service on Easter Sunday.

For those who still aren't convinced, explain to me then why the pope's hat looks very similar to the hat worn by ancient Pagan priests worshiping their "fish God" Dagon.

Now you guys know where this popular Christian "fish" symbol came from:

I'll just be blunt; Christianity is the most recent form of Paganism. There, I've said it. Let's move on shall we...

Last edited by urbancharlotte; 05-29-2012 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism