U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2012, 09:34 PM

11,290 posts, read 9,897,515 times

Advertisements

Why is nudity such and integral part of many Pagan rituals?

Is it a rejection of Mainstream Religion and their contrived stance on what is/isn't morale?

Maybe an attempt to come closer to nature by existing even temporarily in a more natural state?

An excuse to be skanky?

Maybe a little bit of "monkey see, monkey do" from the few existing tribal societies who don't wear a lot because of the environment they are in and are otherwise very close to nature?

I'm not trying to be mocking or hostile, I just wonder why...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2012, 10:09 PM

10,009 posts, read 4,917,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post

Is it a rejection of Mainstream Religion and their contrived stance on what is/isn't morale?

Maybe an attempt to come closer to nature by existing even temporarily in a more natural state?

An excuse to be skanky?

Maybe a little bit of "monkey see, monkey do" from the few existing tribal societies who don't wear a lot because of the environment they are in and are otherwise very close to nature?

First off, I don't know that nudity is necessarily broadly incorporated across all or even most forms of Paganism. I imagine there are some that use it, but I am certain that other forms do not.

I would also say to an extent all of the reasons you cite, and many others, are possibly valid depending on the group or person. Though to be honest I do think, rightly or wrongly there is a perception of Pagans that emphasizes nubile priestesses dancing naked in the moonlight.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
First off, I don't know that nudity is necessarily broadly incorporated across all or even most forms of Paganism. I imagine there are some that use it, but I am certain that other forms do not.

I would also say to an extent all of the reasons you cite, and many others, are possibly valid depending on the group or person. Though to be honest I do think, rightly or wrongly there is a perception of Pagans that emphasizes nubile priestesses dancing naked in the moonlight.
It could just be how it's portrayed by non-pagan sources too...

I got the idea because whenever I read any older material about paganism or witchcraft (especially 1970's stuff) there are invariably pictures of naked young witches and descriptions of ceremonies that require nudity. I also read The Golden Dawn, which describes similar stuff.

More recent paganist material does not say much about the subject though.. perhaps it's evolved? Or is it less sensationalized?

Old 09-02-2012, 10:57 PM

3,875 posts, read 2,439,206 times
Quote:

It is? I've been a Pagan for 16 years & I've only met ONE person who goes skyclad. I think you watch too much TV

Old 09-02-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
It is? I've been a Pagan for 16 years & I've only met ONE person who goes skyclad. I think you watch too much TV
It's why I ask. I have no contact with actual pagans or wiccans in my life other than this forum and I am irrationally interested in religions of all stripes. I am very content to learn this subject is completely sensationalized others not "of the faith".

Old 09-03-2012, 12:11 AM

10,009 posts, read 4,917,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I don't know there are certainly folks I know who cut loose around Beltane, but that is the extent of it among the Pagans I know.

Old 09-03-2012, 01:11 AM

1,000 posts, read 731,599 times
Quote:
It could just be how it's portrayed by non-pagan sources too...

I got the idea because whenever I read any older material about paganism or witchcraft (especially 1970's stuff) there are invariably pictures of naked young witches and descriptions of ceremonies that require nudity. I also read The Golden Dawn, which describes similar stuff.

More recent paganist material does not say much about the subject though.. perhaps it's evolved? Or is it less sensationalized?
A lot of it is exaggerated -- I don't know any Pagans that practice skyclad (mostly because of weather, but some because of modesty or for reasons of legality). There's also some justification for practicing skyclad -- a lot of modern clothing is composed of synthetic material, which some could argue interferes with the natural energies involved in a ritual.

And yes, the obvious reason is also the most common: some practice skyclad just 'cause they like staring at naked people .

Old 09-03-2012, 01:21 AM

3,875 posts, read 2,439,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I don't know there are certainly folks I know who cut loose around Beltane, but that is the extent of it among the Pagans I know.

The Beltine events I have been too so far no one has been skyclad as of yet. However the last one I went to had tents set up so if you ummm like someone you can have a private place to be alone with them. Even if that person is you SO. That's about the extent I have seen as of yet.

Old 09-03-2012, 11:31 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,014,632 times
In all my years of pagan life, only once was there nudity.
I got talked into going to a pagan 'retreat'....there was nothing pagan about it. It was more of a swingers fest. People hopping from hot tub to hot tub and person to person.
So not my thing. I stayed in my tent.

If you are seeing pagans and nudity in published material and you say it's from the 60's and 70's, nudity and close to nature was a big deal for everyone (the 'youth') in those days. That was the days of free love and flower power.
So consider the nudity in context to the times.

Last edited by OwlKaMyst; 09-03-2012 at 11:49 AM..

Old 09-03-2012, 12:06 PM

27,651 posts, read 21,530,378 times
Quote:

An excuse to be skanky?

LOL over the bolded one.

But enjoyed the answers to the questions. I'm also irrationally interested in all religions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism