Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:30 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that "pagan," which is an old Roman-Empire-era slur meaning "unlettered hayseed," could use some adjusting, especially since so many practicing pagans are city dwellers. But I have no clue what should replace the familiar term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 12:56 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
It seems to me that "pagan," which is an old Roman-Empire-era slur meaning "unlettered hayseed," could use some adjusting, especially since so many practicing pagans are city dwellers. But I have no clue what should replace the familiar term.
Its new meaning is more nature based, non-judeo christian sort of religion, though its hard to define exactly the meaning. It's sort of catch all. I think we use it since 'pagan' religion is so diverse and there isn't another word. It is also very dynamic and prone to sharing, unless you are a purist to your tradition.

Other words have changed meaning. No reason why this one shouldn't. My only reservation is it is not considered on equal par with the christan/jewish/arabic/budist ones. We each get to find out own and each should be equally respected.

The other really big gripe is book stores who put all the 'pagan' books under New Age, not religion.

Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
changed to polytheists.
I can see a problem with that. There are most likely pagan religions somewhere with only one deity. There are certainly non-pagan religions that are polytheists. Hindus aren't pagans and they are polytheists. Christians are not pagans and they are certainly polytheists, with their father, son, holy ghost, Virgin Mary, and Lucifer.

Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I can see a problem with that. There are most likely pagan religions somewhere with only one deity. There are certainly non-pagan religions that are polytheists. Hindus aren't pagans and they are polytheists. Christians are not pagans and they are certainly polytheists, with their father, son, holy ghost, Virgin Mary, and Lucifer.

I've never personally met another Pagan who believes in only ONE God/ deity. However like me I only pay heed to one deity but that's a personal choice in my case. I know others exist but choose to only worship one. Again it's about choice in the end.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
I've never personally met another Pagan who believes in only ONE God/ deity. However like me I only pay heed to one deity but that's a personal choice in my case. I know others exist but choose to only worship one. Again it's about choice in the end.
I look at it as the universe/existance/the group mind is not in reality what we selectively see, but there is some intelligence/being involved. and we in our own perceptions see this god in their own terms. I remember being a kid told to go to chappel and not really believing in Jesus, since it didn't make sense, but did in god. I don't think I ever saw the same 'god' the minester saw, but the Episcopal church doesn't force doctrine down the throat so I could feel 'god' there and it was okay to me if I didn't share the rest.

To me the essense of 'god' was in nature and this led me to paganism. I would call myself a naturilistic, eclectic wiccan. I believe the God and Godess are part of one being. I don't use but don't discount other symbols as holding some aspects of that power. But to me there exists only one deity and its reality is far different than our own. Its purpose is to merge us into the real universe, but we see this God/Spirit as we are prompted to by our own choices and our own perceptions.

So I am not by any means christan, but would say I belived in one god with different aspects which can be venerated seperately.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:59 AM

32,638 posts, read 48,015,234 times
Quote:
I've never personally met another Pagan who believes in only ONE God/ deity. .
I haven't either, but there are a lot of pagans out there that I have never met and a lot of religions I know nothing about. So, I do not expect the Pagans that I have met to set an intractable standard for all Pagans in the world.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:25 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
While I would not call it god in the traditional definition,
I believe in a higher power. It's 'one' but is also all.
My perspective is somewhat pantheistic, but they don't 'believe' in paranormal type things, and I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism