Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 01:45 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times

Advertisements

As near as I can tell, all of us Discordians are solitaries. One of our early Scriptural mottoes is "WE SHALL STICK APART."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 AM

393 posts, read 1,497,160 times
When I first entered the Pagan community, I was initiated into a coven. I trained with them and received my degrees, but we eventually disbanded, and I've been working solitary ever since. My path has evolved since then into a very personal path with elements from my cultural heritage, so I don't know how conducive that would be to having someone join me. However, I miss the interaction and camaraderie of being part of a group and would like to have people to share ritual with, although I'm not actively looking at the moment. When it's the right time

Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
I almost joined one in socal, but in part personal consideratios got in the way, and in part the 'rules' got in the way. I had my own ceremonies, and the class I took assumed that different practicioners used slighlyly different means, and that many have no 'group'. I wish I had, now that I know it wouldn't have mattered. It would have been a source of support in bad times.

But here there are pagans, and wiccans, but I assume any groupings are private. I'm quite upfront about being wiccan and nobody has a problem, but I assume there are more like the one local who thought all the 'good' christans should take over and put things right, and they might mind.

I'm seriously thinking of joining the local SCA, in part because I soooo much miss fandom and they are the closest and I suspect there are more of the pagan persuasion there. I wouldn't 'give up' my own ceremonial meanings in my home, but have never had a problem in doing something a bit different when attending Pagan Pride day and taking part in the circle.

Its monitary and transportation problems which prevent most of this I may see about the SCA anyway.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:07 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,760,432 times
Discordians are solitary by inclination. We never do anything the same as other Discordians, even -- WE SHALL STICK APART!

Old 02-09-2013, 11:42 PM

13 posts, read 15,996 times
I'm Wiccan. I practice alone but do belong to a group and will step in for ceremonies or when help is needed. It is not popular in my area. Neither is the religion I was born into, retired, recovering, Catholic.
I do hang out with another but she is younger than my daughter. Even so her abilities are strong and I hired her part time while she finishes up college to become an educator. Nice to meet everyone! Blessed Be!

Old 02-27-2013, 07:36 PM

58 posts, read 150,226 times
Im Wiccan and run a coven. We are Traditionalists and it works for us. It has for many years. To each his/her own.

Old 03-01-2013, 01:38 PM

1,187 posts, read 995,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I will admit I'm not a joiner. I don't know if I'd like a really organized coven with their 'rules' and interpertations any more than in past times I did with the church my parents took me to. But I love when I can get together with fellow believers and celebrate. I loved the Pagan Pride days. I'd love occasional sharing just among compatable others.

Where I live now, while its very strongly christan, nobody had been bothered by my choice. Where I used to live in socal the bible thumpers liked to surround you, and almost any continuing gathering was inviitation of a member only. I'd like to share without being molded into an exact tradition, but don't know how to find others. SCA and fannish populations draw our kind, but from a larger area. Not a lot of money and no car here...

So, is a choice of solitary or not as much whats out there or the need to keep it quiet? And if one is looking for other like minded people, any good ideas? Craigslist personals don't sound like the the best approach.

And safe I'd like to meet a fellow pagan/wiccan/druid/etc places out there?
I"m solitary, mostly by choice, but partially by circumstances. I don't have a lot of time to go to functions/events, and the group I was associating with when I moved out here to Vegas turned out to be all drama all the time. So I haven't had the time to find another group, and really from experiences in other areas, I'm not inclined to think I"ll find any other group without drama. I do belong to a wonderful group/class online that I get all the comraderie and sisterhood that I need, and at my leisure. Works for me!

As for finding others in your area, WitchVox.com is the best place to go to find local groups and events. But I'd always be careful about meeting people online so matter what... so just make sure where you are going is in a public place at first and generally have either someone with you or some way of getting out quickly!

Old 03-01-2013, 05:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Animism is the belief system to which I feel most closely aligned. I know of no others who believe likewise, so my lone path is by both choice and circumstance, I suppose.

Put me near water with surrounding woodland and I'm home. I don't feel the need to worship or commune with other people. I'm happy though, for the company of birds, fish and other animals.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:52 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,257,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
I"m solitary, mostly by choice, but partially by circumstances. I don't have a lot of time to go to functions/events, and the group I was associating with when I moved out here to Vegas turned out to be all drama all the time. So I haven't had the time to find another group, and really from experiences in other areas, I'm not inclined to think I"ll find any other group without drama. I do belong to a wonderful group/class online that I get all the comraderie and sisterhood that I need, and at my leisure. Works for me!

As for finding others in your area, WitchVox.com is the best place to go to find local groups and events. But I'd always be careful about meeting people online so matter what... so just make sure where you are going is in a public place at first and generally have either someone with you or some way of getting out quickly!
I'll check that out. I used to go to the public events of this one large group and it was fun. Any like minded people were welcome and they were at a park. But as far as joining them, they had a comprehensive dictionary thickness book you studied and which had their ways of doing things. No thanks. I'm much more the do it your own way sort. Sharing is nice but I only saw some of the drama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism