Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2013, 01:50 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
There for sure is pagan music.....
Dar Williams - The Christians and the Pagans.
Deck the Halls, the well know Christmas song is totally pagan.

First Aid Kit- N. European sisters, sing about thier pagan heritage & lore.
Without even looking at my music list, Dahm the Bard, and Emerald Rose. Different but both within both folk and pagan tradition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2013, 06:01 PM

1,523 posts, read 3,901,182 times
Russia:

ARKONA - Liki Bessmertnykh Bogov (Official) - YouTube

Netherlands:

HEIDEVOLK - Nehalennia (Official) - YouTube

Germany:

Odroerir - Skadis Rache - YouTube

Canada (Roman themed):

EX DEO - Per Oculus Aquila (Official Lyric Video) | Napalm Records - YouTube

Latvia:

Skyforger - Oh Fog, Oh Dew - YouTube

Faeroe Islands:

TÝR - Hold The Heathen Hammer High (Official) - YouTube

United States (Celtic/Anglo-Saxon themed):

MOSS OF MOONLIGHT -

Last edited by Sonnenwende; 12-06-2013 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 11:16 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post

Personally, I don't think there is such a thing as Pagan music, unless you count the medicine songs of the North American Natives.
I have to disagree.

I believe there is a lot of pagan music -a real revival- these days. Of course you may have a much more complex definition of 'pagan music' than I do. To me, pagan music is that which is composed or performed by a pagan and reflect his or her pagan beliefs.

Now, if you are saying only (traditionalist) Native Americans have a legitimate claim to non-Abrahamic religion, then your claim makes perfect logical sense. But I doubt you will find many in agreement.

Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM

398 posts, read 698,552 times
Awesome, I needed this thread too. I know lots of pagans are into Wardruna, and if you're American you'll have to shell it out for this imported music which is actually very good. I love Blackmore's Night. Also Faun is a neo-Renaissance folk music band from Germany, their song Das Tor is great-

Old 05-13-2014, 03:19 PM

376 posts, read 489,297 times
I am not a Pagan, but would ask - why not go for the real thing, instead of all of this 20/21st century revival stuff. One interesting and haunting recording that I would recommend is Sequentia's version of many poems from the Edda : Amazon.com: Edda - An Icelandic Saga - Myths From Medieval Iceland / Sequentia: Music

Another one that is interesting, but takes some getting used to, is Eduardo Paniagua's reconstruction of some ancinet Greek music titled "Musique-Grece-Antique": Amazon.com: Musique de la Grece Antique (Ancient Greek Music): Music

Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diws View Post
I am not a Pagan, but would ask - why not go for the real thing, instead of all of this 20/21st century revival stuff.
I don't know that I would call the pagan music I listen to as 'revival', or even fake. The Ancient Greek music you linked to is closer to revived music.
What we have are modern pagans, making modern music, talking about pagan things in these modern times.
As for the 'real thing' - from what area of the world, how far back in time, determines it to be real? Much of the music of ancient times is unknown.
However, there is music that has been passed down for generations, but how much of it has changed over the years?
If 'traditional' music, that which has been passed down qualifies, then I listen to that too. I love gypsy music, Hawaiian music, Japanese Kodo drums....

(Not poking to start anything, just discussing definitions of pagan music)

Old 05-13-2014, 10:02 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times

Enya - Caribbean Blue (video) - YouTube

Enya - Orinoco Flow (video) - YouTube

Old 05-13-2014, 10:39 PM

Loreena McKennitt - The Mummers' Dance (HQ) - YouTube

Old 05-13-2014, 10:44 PM

Everlast - Saving Grace - YouTube

Old 05-13-2014, 10:49 PM

Enigma - MCMXC a.D. (Full Album) 1990 - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism