Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 12:33 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times

Advertisements

Does anyone do this?

I ordered some smudge sticks and would like to cleanse my new home before I move in.

I am wondering if anyone here does this on a regular basis, or when you move? Can you describe the actual smell of the burnt sage, since I have not tried it yet? Any advice, rituals or methods you could recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
I do when I move into a new place.
Sage is very pungent, some say it smells like cat pee. While I find the smell a bit 'ripe', it is not offensive.
The main thing when smudging is to get the smoke into the corners- like closets and such. Use a fire safe container to put the smudge stick in as it burns, and use your hand or a small fan to direct the smoke.
Some say to start in a specific direction and work your way around each room in the same manner. There are all kinds of different thoughts on 'how' to properly smudge, all found online.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
I like using sweetgrass, not necessarily for cleansing but simply because I find it pleasant and soothing.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:47 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Sage to eliminate the negitive energy and sweetgrass to bring in the positive energy.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:43 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I hope that it isn't a rental unit that you are planning to fill with foul smelling smoke. It would be a shame to get yourself evicted on day one.

If it is your own house, smoke away. If it is a rental, there are plenty of purifying rituals that do not involve fire or stink.

Old 11-23-2013, 01:46 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,214,384 times
No, it is not a rental...

Does anyone else think sage smells like cat pee? I sure hope it doesn't. They have not arrived in the mail yet, so I will repost once I see for myself.

Cat pee has to be one of THE worst smells anyone could purposely introduce to a home.

Old 11-24-2013, 01:03 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,336,832 times
To me, sage does not smell like cat pee. It smells like sage. It does have a vaguely acidic quality to the odor, a certain pungeancy that might offend some people, but I like it, and importantly, it does not linger. So go ahead and smudge.

I smudge with bundles of sage and juniper which grow all around here, but any dried herbaceous plant that emits a fragrant smoke when burned will do provided it is not toxic. I do it mainly for 'cleaning' purposes rather than spiritual, though.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
I don't think it smells like cat pee, but it is a very similar pungent odor. I think the juniper smells a lot like cat pee.

OP, light a smudge outside and see how you feel about the smell. If you don't like it, you could always place a circle of protection around the house with a thin line of white cornmeal and the proper requests to the spirits. No interior cleansing necessary. Nothing bad would be able to remain inside. (you would be able to carry "issues" inside on your own person, but that applies to the sage smoke as well.)

Old 11-25-2013, 10:42 AM

1,114 posts, read 2,115,978 times
Never heard of the cornmeal. But the times I've been to native American ceremonies they smudged the outside of the lodge then us just before entering.
The smudge always smelled good to me.

Old 11-27-2013, 04:00 PM

764 posts, read 1,421,035 times
Sage doesn't smell like cat pee to me but it is a strong, pungent smell. I'm not really fond of it, and it doesn't seem to linger.

I haven't heard of using cornmeal. I have heard of using salt as a thin line around the perimeter of the house.

I smudge when I move to a new place and I used to do it fairly regularly but haven't in a long time. I just ordered some smudge wands recently and will be doing my place again soon. I'd like to get back in the habit of smudging every so often. It just felt better when I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism