Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2017, 03:19 PM

32,917 posts, read 36,310,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Man I got these little white moths or something all over my spinach and my lettuces and I have sprayed them with like 4 different types of insects spray and nothing kills them. They are so small they look like tiny pieces of cig ashes floating around. I sprayed, even poured coke on them and can't kill them, anybody have a similar problem?
It sounds like whiteflies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 03:42 PM

23,124 posts, read 10,422,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
It sounds like whiteflies.
Thanks, I will look that up, they are so tiny, all I see is a spec of white.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:32 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Good on ya', Cat, for offering shelter to one in need.

Hanni, hope you find a way to discourage those varmints.

I'm feeling the first chilly fingers of fall. Turned the heat on for the first time since May/early June. It'll warm some again in a day or three but it's a timely reminder of what's around the bend in a few weeks. I took in my flowering plants tonight but expect I can put them back out again tomorrow for a few more nights, at least.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:53 PM

It would be like hell to me living up North, Lord, how in the world ?

Our winters aint nothing and I hate the cold we do get.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:25 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
It would be like hell to me living up North, Lord, how in the world ?

Our winters aint nothing and I hate the cold we do get.
Hanni, have you always lived in Texas?

I was in Dallas once, in June. It was 110 degrees at noontime. Sun just beat dowm. Had to stay inside for a couple of hours each day.

Old 10-12-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Hanni, have you always lived in Texas?

I was in Dallas once, in June. It was 110 degrees at noontime. Sun just beat dowm. Had to stay inside for a couple of hours each day.
Yep, always in Texas, but I spent decades traveling, driving an 18 wheeler, and OMG, I hated the east coast, I never could handle the cold up North, I think I am dying with two coats on and some jerk walks by in a t-shirt and says,'' What is wrong with you?''

I guess people get used to the cold up there, I doubt I could get used to it.

Old 10-13-2017, 11:09 AM

10,520 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I know I haven't been around lately. Have been very busy. Spent like the 2 months working on a yard sale. I started in August getting stuff ready and then actually had the yard sale in Sept. It was originally going to be one weekend but my sister talked me into doing two. Unfortunately, we only made it one day the second weekend because we got rained out the second day. Oh well. I did manage to get rid of bunch of crap...er...stuff and made $365.25 for 3 days worth. A dollar for each day of the year. lol.

Then I had to put everything away and get the house back to normal and get the house ready for a refugee from Puerto Rico-my sister-in-law. She is now staying with us for who knows how long-months probably. This isn't the first time she stayed with us long-term. The first time was when their dad was in a nursing home close to here. She stayed about 6 months or so. There was never any problems with her staying. In fact, when she left, the place seemed very empty. Hubby & I are really glad she is here but we hate the reason why. We love having her around.

Cat
Lovely post Cat.

Laughed at your yard sale comment. Yard sales / car boot sales are exhausting for the work you put into them. More environmentally friendly than just chucking the stuff away but hard work for what you get.

Old 10-13-2017, 02:21 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:
Yep, always in Texas, but I spent decades traveling, driving an 18 wheeler, and OMG, I hated the east coast, I never could handle the cold up North, I think I am dying with two coats on and some jerk walks by in a t-shirt and says,'' What is wrong with you?''

I guess people get used to the cold up there, I doubt I could get used to it.

I lived in San Antonio for 7 LONG years. I hated it with a passion. Of course I don't do well in the heat. When it is cold, you can always put on another sweater or blanket. When it is hot, there is only so much you can take off. And what really bothered me was that people would set their a/c so you are FREEZING and then you walk outside and get smacked in the face with a wall of heat.

TRUE STORY: My next door neighbor in S.A.: In the winter, she set her heat at something like 80 degrees. "I can't stand the cold," she said. Ok. Fair enough. But, come summer, she had her a/c set at 50 degrees. "I can't stand the heat." So, she froze in the summer and sweltered in the winter. Didn't make any sense.

Cat

Old 10-13-2017, 02:51 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,274,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Lovely post Cat.

Laughed at your yard sale comment. Yard sales / car boot sales are exhausting for the work you put into them. More environmentally friendly than just chucking the stuff away but hard work for what you get.

You should have seen some of the loonies...er...people we had stop by. This old guy was yelling at me because of the price I had on one item. I was trying to explain to him why and he kept putting his ear to my face, "WHAT??" The guy couldn't hear anything. This guy was here for about a half hour, looking at everything really intently. He would bring things up to us to ask about it and when I TRIED to tell him, he would put his ear in my face, "WHAT??!!! I saw him when he was pulling over. He also punctured himself on a pen/holder set that we had-he just missed his eye. I was very happy when he left.

We had another couple that started driving off without one of the kids that were with them. This one woman just stood in front of the house. It looked like she was waiting for someone but no one showed up. She didn't even bother to look at our crap...er...stuff. Just stood there.

The strangest thing was one woman and her son came up to me and asked if I was the owner. I said yes, and she told me that she used to own the house. Yup, it was her family who foreclosed on the house. She asked me what we did with the kitchen. I said, "EVERYTHING." Then I couldn't help myself, "Do you want to see?" So, I brought them inside. The first thing she remarked on was the fireplace. She said that she painted it a cream color. I didn't tell her that I hated that. She also told me that it was her son (not the one with her) who broke the glass in the built-in as well as the glass on the front door.

When we got into the kitchen, she was like, "OMG! Can I hug you?" She had her son take a pic for her husband to see. When seeing our tin ceiling, she told me that her husband wanted to put in a tin ceiling. Really? Putting in a tin ceiling isn't the normal thing that people would put in when doing renovations.

I showed her the other downstairs rooms like the newly renovated bathroom, the library and what we refer to as the "memorial room." She said that was her dinning room and she had a ceiling fan in it. We put up a chandelier with crystals and she said, "That works, too." Her ceiling fan didn't exactly go with the period of the house-but it is in our bedroom now until we get around to replacing it-which we WILL. She wanted to go upstairs but I told her I wasn't comfortable. Her son said that they intruded enough. She told me that she missed the house and I wanted to say to her, "You were the one who walked away." I also felt like saying, "Eat your heart out." What was her lose, was our gain.

Yeah, you meet all kinds doing yard sales. lol.

Cat

Old 10-14-2017, 10:58 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I lived in San Antonio for 7 LONG years. I hated it with a passion. Of course I don't do well in the heat. When it is cold, you can always put on another sweater or blanket. When it is hot, there is only so much you can take off. And what really bothered me was that people would set their a/c so you are FREEZING and then you walk outside and get smacked in the face with a wall of heat.

TRUE STORY: My next door neighbor in S.A.: In the winter, she set her heat at something like 80 degrees. "I can't stand the cold," she said. Ok. Fair enough. But, come summer, she had her a/c set at 50 degrees. "I can't stand the heat." So, she froze in the summer and sweltered in the winter. Didn't make any sense.

Cat
Ha, I know people like that. No, it doesn't make sense. In the summer, if I need AC, I set it at around 74 or 75. My heat in winter is around 70 or 72, but sometimes that feels too hot depending upon what I am doing, so I will lower it to 68.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism