Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Goodness gracious, that was the first time I've seen somebody address someone as Odin. But that's the male side. How about the distaff? That is, who on this thread is Freya?
Gotta be Mighty Queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 07:49 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I WAS born on a Friday...

and also, since this is the Pagan forum, on Lammas/Lughnassadh (see those numbers after my name? )

https://www.goddessandgreenman.co.uk/lammas

Interesting that sunflowers are connected with Lammas, as I plant them every year.

Old 05-24-2019, 11:21 AM

950 posts, read 692,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Gotta be Mighty Queen.
I'll drink to that.

Old 05-26-2019, 04:52 PM

950 posts, read 692,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I WAS born on a Friday...

and also, since this is the Pagan forum, on Lammas/Lughnassadh (see those numbers after my name? )

https://www.goddessandgreenman.co.uk/lammas

Interesting that sunflowers are connected with Lammas, as I plant them every year.
Interesting coincidence about the Friday. As far as Freya and goddesses in general, I notice that a Wiccan altar usually has statuettes for both a male god and female god. I think that's good because of the equal balance, as opposed to the monotheistic religions such as Islam and Christianity and even Hinduism.
And it's not necessary to believe Odin and Freya as actual entities but instead to let them symbolically represent male and female Energies working together. That's what resonates with me both philosophically and psychologically. It's Polytheism but it can be either literal or metaphorical. Either way works fine.

Old 05-26-2019, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Interesting coincidence about the Friday. As far as Freya and goddesses in general, I notice that a Wiccan altar usually has statuettes for both a male god and female god. I think that's good because of the equal balance, as opposed to the monotheistic religions such as Islam and Christianity and even Hinduism.
And it's not necessary to believe Odin and Freya as actual entities but instead to let them symbolically represent male and female Energies working together. That's what resonates with me both philosophically and psychologically. It's Polytheism but it can be either literal or metaphorical. Either way works fine.
Works for me, too. The balance between male and female energies is visible everywhere.

Similarly, even though I attend a church, I do not see God as a Person. I see that people personified whatever it is that connects us. By us, I mean not just humans but all of nature/creation.

The origins of the monotheistic religions come from patriarchal societies, so naturally God was male and a father or authority figure. Some of the liberal sects of Christianity have moved on from that--generally speaking, the same ones who ordain women and accept LGBT people--and sometimes even refer to God as Mother and Father.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Works for me, too. The balance between male and female energies is visible everywhere.

Similarly, even though I attend a church, I do not see God as a Person. I see that people personified whatever it is that connects us. By us, I mean not just humans but all of nature/creation.

The origins of the monotheistic religions come from patriarchal societies, so naturally God was male and a father or authority figure. Some of the liberal sects of Christianity have moved on from that--generally speaking, the same ones who ordain women and accept LGBT people--and sometimes even refer to God as Mother and Father.
I just had this conversation with someone in real life, and that person said "Perhaps they will come up with a gender-neutral pronoun for God."

They already have. "Godself". It's been in use for some time now.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/god-a...b00ccaae9ea399

Old 06-04-2019, 12:09 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
So, my youngest step-daughter was visiting this weekend with 2 of her 3 kids. We took a walk to the park and on the way home, we decided to walk by our old house that we just sold. They are painting the house and we wanted to show her. (This was the house she grew up in.) When we got there, my heart sank-not because they were painting over the BRIGHT blue (which was a buyer's remorse because Hubby said "PICK ONE" because it took so long to find the right color-I picked the wrong color). My heart sank because they pulled out the lilac bushes that were in front of the house. There was one bush on each side of the front porch and they went up to the second floor. When they were in bloom, you could smell the lilacs whenever you walked out of the house-either by the front door or side door. When we used the front door, I used to love going in and out in the spring because the aroma was heavenly. I am now saddened over the loss of those two beautiful bushes.

When we moved over here, I told Hubby that I will really miss the lilacs. We then discovered that we have a bush in back. Smaller than the ones at the other house. But, this one was being strangled. So, the first year we were here, Hubby & I went out there and cut away all the vines that were strangling it. It filled out after that. It doesn't get a lot of blooms in the spring but it does get some. We are hoping in the coming years, it will get more.

Last fall, I donated to the Arbor Foundation and they sent us two lilac bushes and 10 pine trees. ALL of them were maybe about 6 inches or so. We gave the pine trees to the town to plant wherever because we don't have the room for them on our property. But, the lilac bushes we planted. They were pretty much sticks. Now, we have sticks with leaves. So, they seem to take. It will be YEARS before they flower.

I do LOVE lilacs but they are only in bloom for about 2 weeks or so.

Cat

Old 06-04-2019, 01:33 PM

^When I was a little girl, I just loved the huge lilac bush in front of my grandmother's house, where I spent a lot of time.

Eventually she sold the house and moved in with us. A few years later, I drove by her house, and was dismayed to see the lilac bush gone. The road had been widened and the front yard shortened, and I guess they decided to rip out the lilacs. It is always sad to see a tree or plant to which you had gotten attached gone.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:38 PM

4,031 posts, read 2,716,220 times
My thoughts for the evening....

Sometimes, it does not take great ritual. Sometimes, all it takes is to be in the yard, with the scent of roses and mint and earth and trees and rain all blended together, washing over you and opening you up to the infinite.

Old 06-18-2019, 09:25 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Very nice, IC. All too often, we don't take the time to fully appreciate the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism