Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2016, 01:30 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,072,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
Got a lake house in Brazoria and you never seen such dark clouds of birds over the rice fields. Millions of them in swarms that are so loud the sound of it is scary.
I'd love to see and hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 06:57 AM

22,966 posts, read 10,313,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'd love to see and hear that.
Brazoria county is a must see for bird lovers and we have a lake house on twin lakes and our back yard is the San Bernard river. The swarms are really nice to see inland and all the wading birds in the marshes is what people come to see, but above all this, you come into my yard and sit down with some lemonade and the humming birds will swarm around you and kiss you, they are really tame and they know this is their home when they migrate, they are so cool and they come because of all the flowers and plants we planted plus they have feeders everywhere. Your over there in the snow, and I will be eating gator tail. WE get about 100,000 snow Geese from Canada every year.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:53 PM

88,259 posts, read 84,190,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Ditto. So glad you are home, MQ. Makes a difference.
Thank you. I am improving slowly. Still very stiff and uncomfortable. I'll get there.

Old 01-10-2016, 05:57 PM

Are Martins the same as Purple Martins? The county park I walk in is a purple Martin sanctuary. They arrive in April and May after wintering in Brazil (they never invite me to come with them.) They swoop through the air and never land on the ground. There is housing for them throughout the park.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Are Martins the same as Purple Martins? The county park I walk in is a purple Martin sanctuary. They arrive in April and May after wintering in Brazil (they never invite me to come with them.) They swoop through the air and never land on the ground. There is housing for them throughout the park.
Yep. Same bird. As important to folks who live in skitter territory as dragonflies, hummingbirds, other swallows and bats. Purple Martins prefer their houses to be directly over water and at least 15' high, at least in these parts. The birdhouse I inherited when I moved here is set about 8'-10' inshore and only about 10' feet high.

So, my sense is, it's got initial appeal but finally rates a "meh" and the starlings grab it.

Oh well. Starlings are people too.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:05 AM

Thanks. The housing at the park is not over water, but it is high.

Oh, and bats! I love bats. My daughter and I joined the Bat Conservancy when she was a kid and made a bat house, but alas, none ever came to occupy it.

They come out to greet when I'm out walking late in summer.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Ziggy Stardust died.

Bummer.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:28 AM

10,504 posts, read 6,120,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Ziggy Stardust died.

Bummer.
I know. I can't say David Bowie was my kind of music really. I remember having an ongoing argument with my brothers friend when we were kids...who was better Bowie or Lennon? I insisted John Lennon.
Nevertheless Bowie was such a huge influence and such a unique guy. I can't think of anyone like him, and seemed like a nice guy too. So sad.

David Bowie on Extras. Brilliant.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnl...wie_shortfilms

Last edited by Cruithne; 01-11-2016 at 11:36 AM..

Old 01-11-2016, 11:49 AM

Can't say I liked everything he did, either. But I admired him boldly going musically, wherever he felt like going next. He didn't allow himself to be pigeonholed. I'm quite sure his record company was nervous every time a new album was due - wondering what he'd be up to this time.

He and Lou Reed were two of the coolest dudes on the planet. Lou died last year. Now maybe he and the White Duke can jam again.

Which gives me an excuse to post one of my favourite musical clips: Sweet Lou doing a kick-ass version of Sweet Jane, one of his best tunes, live on Letterman in '93. It takes a minute for him and his band to really find their groove -- but they do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGpkoctRSHs

Old 01-11-2016, 12:12 PM

I'd noticed that they've been playing a lot of Bowie on the xm station I listen to in my car lately, so maybe they had a head's up in the industry that death was close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism