Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM

950 posts, read 692,035 times

Advertisements

Do any of you practice an unusual form of divination? By unusual, I mean any divination other than Astrology, Runestones, Tarot, I-Ching, and Palm-Reading. Some divinations can be quite bizarre such as scattering corn-kernels and then watching a chicken eat each kernel, which you interpret from the pattern that the chicken ate those kernels. And then there is Candle-divination from which you interpret the pattern of the wax drippings. In my case, I prefer Tea-leaf Reading. It's not only because I drink plenty of tea but also because it exercises my intuition and creativity from discerning pictures and shapes from the leaf-patterns. So what divination do you practice which is different from the five commonplace ones I mentioned? And why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 03:41 PM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Do any of you practice an unusual form of divination? By unusual, I mean any divination other than Astrology, Runestones, Tarot, I-Ching, and Palm-Reading. Some divinations can be quite bizarre such as scattering corn-kernels and then watching a chicken eat each kernel, which you interpret from the pattern that the chicken ate those kernels. And then there is Candle-divination from which you interpret the pattern of the wax drippings. In my case, I prefer Tea-leaf Reading. It's not only because I drink plenty of tea but also because it exercises my intuition and creativity from discerning pictures and shapes from the leaf-patterns. So what divination do you practice which is different from the five commonplace ones I mentioned? And why?
It is interesting that you mentioned tea-leaf reading. I am not familiar with it, but I have a friend whose Irish grandmother read the tea leaves for my friend and her three sisters when they each turned 18. My friend was the youngest.

Grandma would give them information as to their future marriages, children, etc. I don't know how accurate any of it was, but the three older sisters are all in long-term marriages and have children and grandchildren and live comfortably.

When it came my friend's turn to have her tea leaves read at 18, her grandmother looked at them, and set the cup down and said, "Never mind". My friend was upset because she wanted her grandmother to read her tea leaves as she'd done for the other sisters, and her grandmother wouldn't do it and said it was just silly.

This friend of mine is the worst alcoholic I have ever met, and that is saying a lot. She is about fifty years old now, if indeed she is still alive. I had to cut ties with her about five years ago after her last relapse--she is clearly brain-damaged now from the scores of withdrawal seizures she's had along with the normal wear and tear on the brain after decades of drinking. In addition, she has non-Hodgkins lymphoma, which was treatable in its aggressive stage but will never be able to be gotten rid of completely. She was briefly married to an abuser, and she never had children, although she always wanted to marry and have kids. The drinking got in the way of any happiness she might have otherwise found.

I think Grandma saw some of this coming.

Old 05-02-2014, 05:31 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,279,150 times
I was never really into tea-leaf reading but there was one day, my hubby & I were at a Chinese restaurant and we had tea. I think this was BEFORE we were married. I remember seeing all the dregs at the bottom of my cup and all of a sudden it screamed something at me (can't remember exactly what it said to me). It was the most bizarre thing I had experienced. Though, I don't know if it was the tea leaves or just my E.S.P. which does tend to pop up from to time.

Cat

Old 05-02-2014, 08:38 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
I'm kind of surprised the OP consider tea leaf reading to be an esoteric form of divination. There are all sorts of tea leaf readers in my neck of the woods. My SO, sisters, and sisters-in-law visit one semi-regularly.

My great-grandmother read mine back in the 60s and 70s (as well as reading cards).

I honestly don't recall much in the way of specifics regarding her insights but we enjoyed our time together. I miss her to this day and she's been gone nearly 40 years.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:24 AM

32,643 posts, read 48,015,234 times
I don't do anything but the Tarot. Answers are so clear and direct to the questions asked. It's like having a conversation.

I do know someone who throws bones (runes) and gets some reliable results.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
I would not consider reading tea leaves unusual. I would put it into the same 'bag' as tarot or palm reading.
Now reading the bumps on a persons head (I want to say fernology), or rodent guts, that is unusual.

Any thing can be used for divination, I know a guy who used toothpicks.
One of the best Internet radio shows I used to listen to, the guy would repeat the callers question and take a swig of whiskey....and look into his bottle. And, surprisingly, he was really good! And hilarious as an added bonus.

I mainly use tarot, some astrology and numerology. I've tried pendulums and scrying, with little effect.
Yet my most 'unusual' is reading 'everyday' events. Just last night while altering my daughters prom dress, my sewing machine needle broke on the last stitch. I instantly knew that everything was going to be fine- daughter was stressing on the dress and prom and everything that she has on her plate this weekend. When done, I took the dress to her and first thing I said was about the broken needle. Her friend who was here right away said, 'it's a sign'

So while there are these random 'signs', I do present/ask for signs. And it is not like 'show me a sign'. I actually get specific and ask to see something specific.

Old 05-06-2014, 02:42 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,023,616 times
I use muscle-testing for yes/no answers. It doesn't seem to help with the future, but for here-and-now questions it's been pretty reliable. Muscle testing derives from alternative medicine rather than a spiritual or folk tradition.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:49 PM

24,111 posts, read 32,460,014 times
On Saturday, I went to a sea shell reader. Sea Shells were placed in a bag. I was told to select seven of them.

He was quite accurate.

Old 05-06-2014, 08:37 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,437,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Just last night while altering my daughters prom dress, my sewing machine needle broke on the last stitch. I instantly knew that everything was going to be fine- daughter was stressing on the dress and prom and everything that she has on her plate this weekend. When done, I took the dress to her and first thing I said was about the broken needle. Her friend who was here right away said, 'it's a sign'
I'm curious, and I don't want to derail the thread, but can you tell me why the needle breaking is a good sign rather than a bad?

Old 05-06-2014, 10:22 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
I'm curious, and I don't want to derail the thread, but can you tell me why the needle breaking is a good sign rather than a bad?
I hope Owl doesn't mind me stepping in:

It was good because it happened on the last stitch - the job was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism