Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:42 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,673,454 times

Advertisements

Spray paint is under lock and key in my area as well....no one under 18 can buy in some stores...has to to with the dummies that want to get high off the fumes....I say screw the locks, let natural selection take it's course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 12:46 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
My first deck was the traditional Rider-Waite which was given to me. I was about 18 years old or so and knew that my first deck should be given to me but I didn't know how to ask someone for it. My boyfriend at the time lived with this guy. I can't remember the circumstances but he opened a drawer in a dresser and there was a Tarot deck complete with the book. I made a comment that I wanted a deck but the first one needed to be given to me. He reached in, took out the deck & book and handed it to me. "Here. Your first deck is given to you." So, that is how I received my first deck.

My second deck I bought. While the art work was beautiful, it just didn't quite fit me but that was basically the one that I could find. It did seem to fit my niece-so I gave her her first deck. I also gave a friend her first deck, too.

About 15 years or so ago, my husband (before we were married) was the advisor of the History Club at the college he taught at. The were taking a trip to Salem, Mass. He invited me & his youngest daughter (another witch) to go along for the ride. The only thing that was planned was the Witch Museum-which was kind of boring actually. With nothing else really planned, it was like "So, what shall we do now?" We did go through the old cemetery which was a bit interesting. The one place that my step-daughter & I loved the best was the bookstore we found. We could have spent HOURS in it-but the students were pretty much done after about 10-15 minutes so we had to rush. They had I don't know how many different Tarot decks-just about every kind you could even think of. So, I bought the one that totally suited me, Tarot of the Cat People. I also bought my step-daughter her first deck, too-Robin Wood. The students were VERY interested in the Tarot cards. I opened it up so they could look at them, but I told them not to touch them because I haven't "primed" them yet (or whatever the term is-maybe Owl can help me out, here. )

On the way home, one of the students seemed a bit disappointed because they said the only "REAL" witch they met was our tour guide at the museum. I said, "There are two on this bus" (meaning me & my step-daughter). The kid didn't say anything.

So, right now I have two decks-the original one that basically has seen better days because I used them A LOT & my Cat People one. But, I am pleased that I was able to give 3 people their first decks.

Cat

Old 05-18-2014, 12:57 PM

Tarot of the Cat people is another deck I also own. Love that deck. People call it dark, and I can see why from the art. But when it comes to talking to the deck....it's not dark at all, least not for me. I do have other decks though that are very blunt and hardcore in they way they communicate.

'Primed' deck...that is one way of describing it. Purifying/cleansing a deck is another, mostly for those decks that had been previously owned or handled. Consecrate is another word. I know what you are getting at, it is the act of making the deck your own by putting your energy into the deck. You are 'marking' it with your energy.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:22 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Well, not only would no one I know ever give me a tarot deck as a gift, they'd be on their knees begging God to save my soul if they knew I just ordered one for myself.

Thanks Owl for the info that the book came with the cards. I'm looking forward to it.

Old 05-19-2014, 02:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Strikes me as strange, Dew. Perhaps it's to deter theft. Or, if the locals are that conservative, maybe it's to deter sales.
I'm going to ask a clerk the next time I'm in the store.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,259,715 times
I was thinking about me and animals today. My smallest kitten came from under the house. She managed to get under the add on foundation and mom left her behind. She'd sit and cry and cry, and I'd talk to her, then go outside and move down a little from where she was and call her. It took a couple of days but she knew my voice. And I had the plumming access open just in case when I went out and heard her cry, and called her and out runs this tiny little black kitten. She's probably about six weeks now, and still drinking formual half the time so she may be younger. But she showed this immediate trust in me. She's this brave little sprite who plays with the two slightly older ones but still comes to me.

I'm sure it was more than just my voice which led her to this trust.

And then the puppy. I was going into Walmart and this girl was sitting with a puppy. She was trying to get someone to take it. I got my stuff and had to go back in, and she was arguing with her bf on the phone about dumping said puppy. When I came out she was still talking and said someone might take him in a few days.

I don't know what it was, but I just *couldn't* let that puppy be left to the mercies of a parking lot. I only half believed the story but they dropped the puppy by my house. A few days later, she's gotten past the being scared and the I gotta sleep time and I made a little leash for the little harness I'd made her. She didn't fight it. My big young dog gently nuzzled and laid down next to her. Since I got her a bit more than a week ago, she's proven to be a wonderful little creature. She and the big dog play in the back yard together. She snuggles with me and was halfway housetrained.

My other dog was abused by larger dogs and doesn't play so the two really enjoy each other. He lookes so happy now. She gives the kitties gentle kisses and never leaves my side.

But the thing I can't dismiss is that as soon as I got out of the car that day I could feel that pull. I knew I should be there. This is the feeling which came with all the pets I've most cherished, and I have come to think that it was indeed meant to be. I don't 'read' people as easily, and usually just give them space anyway. But people except for a few are wrapped up in their own place. Animals just live in the world.

And I do have a fenced yard and can feed and care for her, and she keeps my boy occupied so he doesn't spend his time outside finding new ways to get under the fence. Both he and she will be fixed.

Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Thanks for sharing that nightbird. All of our pets have been rescues. I think there's something special that happens when an animal knows it's safe and will be taken care of.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:46 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Hiya, Jax.
Do we know each other from another section?

Old 06-09-2014, 03:51 AM

4,856 posts, read 5,823,013 times
Since this thread moved towards tarrot decks, how does anyone feel about the necronomicon deck?

Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
Since this thread moved towards tarrot decks, how does anyone feel about the necronomicon deck?
I don't have that tarot deck, but I know of it. H.P Lovecraft is a hot ticket right now. I looked up images of the cards, while I'm not a big fan of computer art, it is a nice looking tarot deck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism