Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 11:06 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I must have missed something because I couldn't find an intro.

Cat
Here it is, Cat: Tarot Introduction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 12:55 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,280,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Here it is, Cat: Tarot Introduction

Thanks.

Cat

Old 07-02-2014, 08:29 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,672,460 times
I found an read the real into...thought the little box at top was it, anyway, I did get almost offended. Then I read the Fool page and am quite annoyed. The history part really bugged me. There ARE actual tarot cards in existence that are from the first half of the 1400's (be claims 1600). But he is right, the history is controversial when there is a significant number of people who wish that tarot had some romantic mysterious origin.
So setting aside the false historical claims (because it happens so often), I focus on his message; tarot reveils God. I can see how this could work. But oh my, how he so contridicts himself. It is back to history again. He claims tarot is a pictorial of Kabbalic wisdom and was invented in the 1200's. He says the Waite deck is the best version for this symbolism, which was created in the 1800's.
mmmm...Idontgetit.
His explination of 0 in mystic/spiritual symbolism context is probably one of the best I've seen.
While I see a credibility issue, he does say something to the effect, 'don't listen to me, discover your own symbolism'.... Exactly. Just as a dream dictionary is next to worthless, anything anyone has to say about what a symbol means is really up to them. The way I see it, (talking about the RWS deck) only two people 'really know' what the symbols are meant to represent, of what symbolism and energy has been embedded into the images, and that is Waite and Smith.

Sorry, my critical Virgo and chew it to pieces mouse energy took over again.

So this leads to an excersise I have loads of fun with, and can also be done as a group, provided those work with the same deck. (I think I have the decks you all have- inner child, Native American and cat people, right?)

I call this 'Interview with a Tarot card'.
Step 1: pick a card, at random, on purpose...does not matter.
Step 2: take a moment to look at the card, just enough that you know what is there but not so much that you are finding meaning. (Let's use the RWS Fool)
Step 3: Using (in any order) who, what, where, when, why & how, form open ended questions
'Where did you find that rose?'
'Who does the dog belong to?'
'Why don't you look where you are going?'
'What is in your bag?'
'When did you begin your journey?'
'How long will your journey be?'
Step 4: now get into the card, become the character(s), and answer the questions.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:44 PM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
So, while looking for something for a different project about tarot, I found this:
Which Major Arcana Tarot Card Are You? | Quizfarm.com
I had to do a tie breaker...but I bet (insert tone of sarcasm) you can't guess what card I got....
It was a tie with the High Priestess....
I took the test and got the emperor... I had a tie breaker also. I'll see what the card was if I answered the other question. The other card was the high priestess ( if I had answered the tie breaker differently.)

you Scored as IV - The EmperorThe Emperor represents power. There is nothing subtle about this Tarot card. The Empress has power through love.The Emperor has power through power. He is in control, he is forceful and ambitious. Nothing will stop him. He is a natural leader, having either been born to the role or having disposed of all those who stood in his way. If well aspected in a Tarot spread this card can indicate success. It represents obstacles overcome, goals reached and ambition fulfilled. If badly aspected it can indicate either weakness or an abuse of power.

[SIZE=1]II - The High Priestess[/SIZE]
100% [SIZE=1]IV - The Emperor[/SIZE]
100% [SIZE=1]VIII - Strength[/SIZE]
88% [SIZE=1]XIII: Death[/SIZE]
88% [SIZE=1]0 - The Fool[/SIZE]
75% [SIZE=1]III - The Empress[/SIZE]
63% [SIZE=1]XIX: The Sun[/SIZE]
50% [SIZE=1]I - Magician[/SIZE]
50% [SIZE=1]XI: Justice[/SIZE]
50% [SIZE=1]X - Wheel of Fortune[/SIZE]
25% [SIZE=1]XVI: The Tower[/SIZE]
0% [SIZE=1]XV: The Devil[/SIZE]
0% [SIZE=1]VI: The Lovers[/SIZE]
0%

You Scored as II - The High PriestessThe High Priestess is a card of intuition, instinct and hidden knowledge. She knows all your secrets, you can hide nothing from her. Yet you will never know the secrets she herself protects.If well aspected in a Tarot spread, this card can indicate the use of intuition to solve problems; trust to your instincts. If badly aspected, it can mean suppression and ignoring of such instincts - following your head at the expense of your heart.

[SIZE=1]II - The High Priestess[/SIZE]
100% [SIZE=1]IV - The Emperor[/SIZE]
100% [SIZE=1]VIII - Strength[/SIZE]
88% [SIZE=1]XIII: Death[/SIZE]
88% [SIZE=1]0 - The Fool[/SIZE]
75% [SIZE=1]III - The Empress[/SIZE]
63% [SIZE=1]XIX: The Sun[/SIZE]
50% [SIZE=1]I - Magician[/SIZE]
50% [SIZE=1]XI: Justice[/SIZE]
50% [SIZE=1]X - Wheel of Fortune[/SIZE]
25% [SIZE=1]XVI: The Tower[/SIZE]
0% [SIZE=1]XV: The Devil[/SIZE]
0% [SIZE=1]VI: The Lovers[/SIZE]
0%

Last edited by thegreenflute334; 07-03-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 07:25 PM

All things considered...only a small number of us has taken the quiz, which I'm sure we are all more alike in thinking, morality, and perspective...we are all getting roughly the same results. But I know some quizzes are limited, so I wondered if some of the cards are left out. My curiosity took me to taking the test again but this time answer the opposite, or in the middle. In that quick passing thought, wonder what card it could be- of course I would first look to the cards I'm connected to numerically, astrologically and such...being a Capricorn, and being the Empress in nature, I instantly went to The Devil....
And would ya' know....

You Scored as XV: The Devil
Despite its fearsome appearance, The Devil is a card of weakness. It is one of the few cards in the Tarot deck that almost always has negative connotations when it occurs in a reading. When the Devil appears in a Tarot spread it can represent lack of achievement through negative thoughts. It suggests character flaws such as greed, bitterness and authoritarianism. All these things can ultimately destroy a person. The rest of the Tarot spread will determine whether or not the querent will overcome their problems or continue blindly on.

XV: The Devil
63%
IV - The Emperor
56%
0 - The Fool
56%
III - The Empress
50%
XIII: Death
50%
VI: The Lovers
50%
VIII - Strength
50%
I - Magician
44%
XIX: The Sun
44%
XI: Justice
38%
X - Wheel of Fortune
38%
XVI: The Tower
13%
II - The High Priestess
0%

Old 07-04-2014, 01:09 PM

Quote:
So this leads to an excersise I have loads of fun with, and can also be done as a group, provided those work with the same deck. (I think I have the decks you all have- inner child, Native American and cat people, right?)

I call this 'Interview with a Tarot card'.
Step 1: pick a card, at random, on purpose...does not matter.
Step 2: take a moment to look at the card, just enough that you know what is there but not so much that you are finding meaning. (Let's use the RWS Fool)
Step 3: Using (in any order) who, what, where, when, why & how, form open ended questions
'Where did you find that rose?'
'Who does the dog belong to?'
'Why don't you look where you are going?'
'What is in your bag?'
'When did you begin your journey?'
'How long will your journey be?'
Step 4: now get into the card, become the character(s), and answer the questions.
So, that was weird. I randomly chose the 8 of Wands. My immediate thought was "ugh", though I ddin't know why. It's not an "ugh" kind of picture. Anyway, I started doing the exercise you suggested but I wasn't getting far, so I set it aside. Last night as I lay thinking about it, I realized that the reason I had such a visceral reaction to it is that the scene depicted on the card represents, exactly, my perception of my family of origin. I am one of 8 children, 4 boys/4girls, which is what's on the card, and the moon, I believe, symbolizes my parents. I can definitely feel all the old feelings when I put myself inside the scene. There's one symbol (the owl) that I'm not sure how it fits, so I'll keep letting it simmer, and see what comes up.

I don't really get how the connection I've made to the card fits with what I've read about how that card is normally interpreted, though. Would you say that, in the future, I would consider my own connection to it moreso than the accepted interpretation of it?

Old 07-05-2014, 01:48 AM

Not more so, but equally.
While just a 'game', I find that even in playing with the cards they have something useful, and quite fitting, to show me.
The 8 of Wands in a nutshell is to take some kind of action. Your deck specifically speaks of getting into a group setting- and mentions family. Perhaps it has been a while since everyone was together, perhaps differences could be set aside (if there is ongoing any family drama or grudges) for a get together (and maybe clear the air).
I think that what the card triggers within us is very important, but the cards still have their roots. It is putting these together that can be bewildering at times, but it's there.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Not more so, but equally.
While just a 'game', I find that even in playing with the cards they have something useful, and quite fitting, to show me.
The 8 of Wands in a nutshell is to take some kind of action. Your deck specifically speaks of getting into a group setting- and mentions family. Perhaps it has been a while since everyone was together, perhaps differences could be set aside (if there is ongoing any family drama or grudges) for a get together (and maybe clear the air).
I think that what the card triggers within us is very important, but the cards still have their roots. It is putting these together that can be bewildering at times, but it's there.
I hadn't looked at the meaning of the card based on my deck for a while. I'd forgotten the family aspect. There is actually a family reunion next weekend. Sigh.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:12 PM

While I do not call reading tarot 'fortune telling', it's 'predictive' character can't be ignored.

Old 07-05-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
While I do not call reading tarot 'fortune telling', it's 'predictive' character can't be ignored.
I suppose not.. Or it's just bound and determined to make me stop pretending that I'm not dreading next weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism