Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 03:31 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,749,119 times

Advertisements

...because dumb questions are always the best kind.

I have long wanted to design my own Discordian Tarot deck, even just for personal use, but when I try to find out where and how to get one printed, with the nice slick-textured cards that you find in a standard Waite deck or a Bicycle deck, nobody knows. Everyone just says "take the designs to any printer and they can whip up a deck for you." This is decidedly NOT true.

Who prints up usable, durable decks of cards that you design for yourself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2014, 06:27 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,151,240 times
Hi Cliffie.

Try http://www.printerstudio.com/

They do good work. My SO designed a (non-Tarot) deck and they provided decent quality at a very affordable (under $20) price.

Have to give them the finished art though.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,666,415 times
That looks like a nifty site. Will have to look into that more for other parts of my art.
I am curious though. Many playing cards are 'plastisized', not sure of the official term, but this is what makes standard playing cards so durable. Most of my tarot decks are not plastisized, but at on a very heavy cardstock and have a gloss finish.
Whip it up....yeah right, 'everyone' knows nothing about the industry. My father owned a print shop, it is not a whip it out thing. However, one run printing is fairly easy in this digital age, for a company that has all the equipment. A typical local printshop could not compete as the art set-up would not be worth a single run, to buyer or printer. You would pay way more just for set-up than anything else. And this is why they don't bother to do single runs.
I work at printing tee shirts and we even have minimums.

TD- How do your SO's printed deck compare to say, your Medicine Cards deck? Are they more like tarot? Or more like playing cards?

Oh....afterthought- Another option, several friends have done this and I think it works great, they print them on regular paper, that is a good quality, and then get the precut laminate pieces that you just slide the paper into and then put it through the laminator.
Just had a thought. Photo developing in places like CVS and Walmart, scan and arrange your art so that several cards fit on to an 8x10, and are sized to fit the laminated 'envelopes' and have them printed that way. Would make for a really nice presentation of the art. I do all my art prints as scanned and developed as a photograph. They just look so much nicer.
Can make a back and just print that at home on regular paper- then use Yes paste (yes, that is the name) to glue the two together. Use Yes paste or some other archival adhesive. Anything else will eventually discolor the backs.
But I'm really curious about this print house mentioned....

Old 08-12-2014, 10:00 PM

They're more like playing cards. They have a sort of semi-gloss, satin finish rather than a high gloss. But the card stock used is typical of a deck of non-plasticized playing cards.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:54 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,666,415 times
And about $20....that's insane...in a good way. I had researched having a deck printed about 8 years ago and the cheapest (independant) option was to send the work overseas and there was a minimum, initial investment of $6,000. And found all kinds of horror stories. The only sound option was a hit or miss; submit to the 'big 3', US Games, Llewellyn or Lo Scarabeo....and maybe they would pick up the deck...or not.

Old 08-15-2014, 01:01 PM

Trout, you are terrific!

Old 08-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Trout, you are terrific!
Cool!

A coat of arms for me and my troutlings!

Old 08-20-2014, 02:08 PM

And who deserves it more?

Old 08-22-2014, 10:19 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,027,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
Who prints up usable, durable decks of cards that you design for yourself?
This place does. They are just like playing card coated, and you can get different finishes, even 100% plastic, which is a lot nicer than it sounds. Standard print cost for a 78 card deck: $14.99. I got a bigger size with a lot of custom stuff for $19.99. per deck. They are a little slow, but worth it. They will send a sample pack if requested

Custom Tarot Deck of Cards

Old 08-23-2014, 11:39 AM

Resources everywhere! Youse guys are terrific!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism