U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 AM

10,098 posts, read 6,743,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryasIS View Post
hmmm sorry that I do not agree with that.

Mine bible says that we christians believe it God breath his own word that jesus is the only path to God. does your god preach this?

just an example
My brother, first you must understand that we do not have a Bible like the Christians do, so we have no concept of your Jesus, we have our holy men/women that have a special ability, and not through hallucinogenic drugs, to be able to communicate with the spirits, these are our teachers, just as your Jesus was a teacher to your people, we do not have to have our holy words in writing because we live our custom every day, it is within us, we live and breathe it every day of our lives, I do not criticize your beliefs, they are your beliefs and they belong to you and if you are happy with that then that is good, we all need something or someone to believe in. Peace be with you my brother. osay

Last edited by ptsum; 01-06-2008 at 09:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
What are your feelings on spirit animals/ totems (is there a difference or just a difference in terms?)? That's the one spiritual aspect of really anything that I strongly believe in and have personally experienced.

My dad was raised pretty well integrated in Native traditions. By blood he'd only about 1/8 native but since he's missing 3/4 of his heritage (never knew anything about his father/ father's family or maternal grandfather), the 1/4 portion of his ancestry was half a mix of Penobscot and Nipmuk tribes. We forage for food more than the average family. :P
My sister, in our custom we believe that every living thing has a spirit and that we must honor that spirit, this we are taught, and within each one of us there is a spirit, we believe that we have spirit guides, that guide us throughout our life, the Great Spirit comes to us in many forms, as for the term of spirit animals/totems, to us they are the same.
Let me suggest that you look up your father's people, learn about them, learn their customs, you are a student, be a student of your father's people so that you can become a teacher. osay

Old 01-06-2008, 09:23 AM

13,755 posts, read 12,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Redbird and Creme..Thank you, you have just presented me with a Sunday morning sermon that touches me deeply..You show so beautifully that God/great Spirit is not complicated. He created everything for us to sustain ourselves with and wants us to be in touch with the things he provided us with and to respect and replenish the creation..He does not want us to criticize, hate and cause fear in our brothers and sisters, because He loves us all and created us to enjoy and respect each other..People have forever known that there was a God, a creator, a great spirit or any other name..He put His spirit in us at the creation and it has been passed finally to us..My final word is that Gods word is written in our very heart and soul, He allows us a personal relationship that allows us to seek and find our peace with Him..
yes, exactly, I believe God places his own personal signiture on our souls, gives us the means and then says, go to it and enjoy, go forth and profit...by life experiences, giving and receiving as well.

Great post....my friend...thank you

Old 01-06-2008, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weatherologist View Post
Thank you, ptsum. I enjoy all of your posts. Could you tell me please what "osay" means?

May we all be blessed...
weather...
Thank you for the kind words, in our custom the word "osay" has a few different meanings, it can mean hello, it can mean goodbye, you see in our language we have no words as hello and goodbye, it is a word of greeting. osay

Old 01-06-2008, 09:42 AM

13,755 posts, read 12,307,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Thank you for the kind words, and our custom the word "osay" has a few different meanings, it can mean hello, it can mean goodbye, you see in our language we have no words as hello and goodbye, it is a word of greeting. osay
I love your posts, your laid back let everything just fall into place ability to allow posts...marvelous...tried to give you more reps but have to spread them around a bit.

Happy Sunday..
hugs
Creme

Old 01-06-2008, 01:02 PM

7,088 posts, read 12,036,183 times
Very beautifully said.
I'm printing it out.

Old 01-06-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Very beautifully said.
I'm printing it out.
songinthewind, (what a beautiful name), my sister I thank you for the kind words. osay

Old 01-06-2008, 10:23 PM

25,495 posts, read 11,591,437 times
Cremebrulee, thank you so much for posting.

I do not judge all of our brothers and sisters by the holier than thou attitude one finds in organized religions, it's just tiresome for me to read over and over the hate cloaked in deity by a vocal few. Most christians are staying at home, like my grandma, and they don't get on the internet and blah blah like we young'ns are prone to!

Getting back to shamanism. We ARE discussing the ins and outs, and there is so much prehistoric lifeways that we simply cannot know.

Many have heard of shamans in the olden days who people turned to for matters that were beyond the mundane.

As stated in past posts, there are shamans with specialty's, e.g., prior to the hunt, fighting against an evil spell, etc. And each shaman would have his or her own "medicine" or "power" which was unique to that shaman.

I am sure there were shamans that were not above resorting to some "trickery" to put on a show for those coming to them. But I think those would soon be found to be what they truly are: fakes, posers, liars, and just plain USERS.

There are some very powerful shamans living in present times, and sadly, there are those who practice both good and bad medicine.

Of course, in my tribe, it is well known that if one practices bad medicine, something bad or some illness-even death will befall the family member of the one practicing bad medicine.

But for the sake of this discussion, a spiritual being is one who simply reveres the spirit world as much as his physical world. The mysteries of the spirit world are many. And a shaman may help unravel some of the mystery.

I am told there were folks in the old days who were the equivalent of today's atheists. So, montanaguy would be welcomed in our culture as well.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Cremebrulee, thank you so much for posting.

I do not judge all of our brothers and sisters by the holier than thou attitude one finds in organized religions, it's just tiresome for me to read over and over the hate cloaked in deity by a vocal few. Most christians are staying at home, like my grandma, and they don't get on the internet and blah blah like we young'ns are prone to!

Getting back to shamanism. We ARE discussing the ins and outs, and there is so much prehistoric lifeways that we simply cannot know.

Many have heard of shamans in the olden days who people turned to for matters that were beyond the mundane.

As stated in past posts, there are shamans with specialty's, e.g., prior to the hunt, fighting against an evil spell, etc. And each shaman would have his or her own "medicine" or "power" which was unique to that shaman.

I am sure there were shamans that were not above resorting to some "trickery" to put on a show for those coming to them. But I think those would soon be found to be what they truly are: fakes, posers, liars, and just plain USERS.

There are some very powerful shamans living in present times, and sadly, there are those who practice both good and bad medicine.

Of course, in my tribe, it is well known that if one practices bad medicine, something bad or some illness-even death will befall the family member of the one practicing bad medicine.

But for the sake of this discussion, a spiritual being is one who simply reveres the spirit world as much as his physical world. The mysteries of the spirit world are many. And a shaman may help unravel some of the mystery.

I am told there were folks in the old days who were the equivalent of today's atheists. So, montanaguy would be welcomed in our culture as well.
My brother, Patience comes with age,but do not get discouraged,I welcome you here as a brother of the same culture,your input is just as important as the rest of us,together we will learn and educate. osay

Old 01-07-2008, 09:49 AM

3,517 posts, read 8,767,905 times
ptsum,

Your statement of shamanism really makes me wonder how any one could have called the Native Americans "savages." It is such a perfect way of structuring life. Except for #2 which requires a belief in a magical being, but even that can easily be interpreted as a symbolic thing.

I do have a question about shamanism. Is your tradition or study from an unbroken train or are you in the process of trying to recreate it after it was decimated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism