Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:19 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,618,313 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
I could care less about the Oprah show. I find it, for the most part, boring and silly.
I thought that she played an important role in the 80's because her shows, no matter how exploitive, did bring to light some of the shadowy aspects of this culture such as incest, rape, drug addiction, etc.
To dwell on such things is not helpful but to bring that which is hidden into the light is a good thing.
What i'd like to ask you is this. What specifically does Oprah do or say that convinces you that she is the "voice of Satan"?
She may not be your type of Christian (there are many, many Christians who are very different from you) but her general message over the years has always been about tolerance, love, acceptance, mutual understanding, child advocacy, overcoming racism, non-judgment, service, "charity", etc., etc.
Then of course there are the silly shows about what to wear to make you look thinner, makeovers, giving away junk (now that's scary ... the "my favorite things" ... you know when everyone swoons 'cause they're going to get a whole bunch of things). But that's all just silly t.v. non-sense. It's vapid and not exactly "food for the soul" but not the worst fare on the tube.
So again, how exactly is she serving the dark side friend?
Rather than repeat it, please see my last post to Agnostic Soldier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I don't know of the verse that chielgirl is referring to but I do know that Matthew 6:5 essentially says the same thing in different words.
I believe you're right, Haaziq. I was reading the OT the other day after seeing something on here, most likely got them confused.

Thanks for the clarification.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:27 AM

39 posts, read 67,850 times
Question Foundation of what?

What most concerns me about Oprahs religion is what is the foundation for her beliefs? THe bible is based upon eyewitness accounts of the events that took place. Recorded by scribes, acurracy was of great priority as error could have meant death. Would not a record of eyewitness accounts be more creditable than ideas expressed in a book or by a person thousands of years later?

Old 11-04-2008, 06:27 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,013,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gracegirl View Post
What most concerns me about Oprahs religion is what is the foundation for her beliefs? THe bible is based upon eyewitness accounts of the events that took place. Recorded by scribes, acurracy was of great priority as error could have meant death. Would not a record of eyewitness accounts be more creditable than ideas expressed in a book or by a person thousands of years later?
Eye witness accounts are unverifiable thereby unreliable.Also, there are no contemporary accounts of Jesus. The first records that such a man even existed were the gospels in 69CE, over forty years after the supposed death of Jesus. The first secular records were by Josephus, close to 100CE, which proved to be forgeries.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 AM

39 posts, read 67,850 times
I have also researched and exhausted sources claiming to discredit the reliability of the earliest records known. What cannot be disproved however is that Jesus and the authors did exist. Both secular and religious can agree on that. Also, if in fact scripture is unreliable and fabricated then there would be alot that could not be explained. There are many references in scripture to geographic locations of tombs, wells, structures etc. that to this day may be visited, (in this instance a reliable record.) Further examination of Prophetic books unveils events in history that have taken place and continue to take place, as pre-recorded by scripture. The list goes on and on and I could share more about discoveries by Nasa, scientists and medical professionals that would agree that without scripture they have no explaination for their discoveries. I have wrestled with the who's, what, whys and whens of getting to the bottom of this and come to the same conclusion that it cannot be disproved.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM

226 posts, read 312,024 times
I don't watch her, can't stand her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism