Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 10:35 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
No sir, not because she's black. It's because we as a culture have lost the sense of right and wrong. Everything is "grey" and there are no absolutes. Therefore, if a guy wants to marry his 12 year old daughter, or a dog, it's no big deal as long as it doesn't hurt the next guy. Does anyone see the problem with that type of thinking?

I'm sorry, but that's what Oprah subscribes to and its dangerous stuff that she's promoting.
A 12 year old is not a consenting adult and a dog is not a consenting human being. There is a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 10:36 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,383,675 times
Quote:
I'm sorry, but that's what Oprah subscribes to and its dangerous stuff that she's promoting.
When she promotes the marriage of a man and his daughter, then maybe I will agree with you.
So far, I see no problems.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:37 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
A 12 year old is not a consenting adult and a dog is not a consenting human being. There is a difference.
How can you say a 12 year old isn't a consenting human being? What about that news report about a group of third graders who were planning on killing their teacher? Where's the line?

Old 04-04-2008, 10:40 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
Quote:
How can you say a 12 year old isn't a consenting human being? What about that news report about a group of third graders who were planning on killing their teacher? Where's the line?
If you really can't see the difference between an adult and a 12 year old then you are the one with the problem

Old 04-04-2008, 10:44 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,489,531 times
also whyare you all dumping on Oprah? i am not in love with her, but in essence she is a journalist reporting on a new story. just like test tube babies and artificial insemination are now "old news" so will this become mainstream.
it's called scientific progress, and if you dont agree with that, it's fine, but i am sure you all have light bulbs and tv's and computers. some of you may have had chemo therapy or surgury. these are all part of scientific progress.
if we should live as God had made it, then we would all live like the amish, and you would not be posting here...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,223,164 times
Quote:
No sir, not because she's black. It's because we as a culture have lost the sense of right and wrong. Everything is "grey" and there are no absolutes. We as a culture don't want to admit that there is a God and He has laid out clearly how to live a full life on this earth. Yes, God is a loving, merciful God, but He is also just and holy, and knows what's best for us as humans. I'm talking about the God of the bible and the plan He has made for us is through his only son, Jesus Christ, who is the only way to God. Therefore, if a guy wants to marry his 12 year old daughter, or a dog, it's no big deal as long as it doesn't hurt the next guy. Does anyone see the problem with that type of thinking?

Please provide specifics on the "guy who wants to marry his dog or daughter". I've never heard of anyone wanting to do this, but the example seems to alway come up when christian fundamentalist extremists make irrational arguments against gay marriage.

Life isn't always black and white. There are many gray areas, and when you try to force black and white rules from your particular religion on society, people will suffer.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:51 AM

790 posts, read 4,019,255 times
Quote:
No sir, not because she's black. It's because we as a culture have lost the sense of right and wrong. Everything is "grey" and there are no absolutes. We as a culture don't want to admit that there is a God and He has laid out clearly how to live a full life on this earth. Yes, God is a loving, merciful God, but He is also just and holy, and knows what's best for us as humans. I'm talking about the God of the bible and the plan He has made for us is through his only son, Jesus Christ, who is the only way to God. Therefore, if a guy wants to marry his 12 year old daughter, or a dog, it's no big deal as long as it doesn't hurt the next guy. Does anyone see the problem with that type of thinking?

Oprah is a Christian as much as you are.
And she is the last woman on earth that would advocate child abuse!
She was molested and raped as a young person and it's one of the reasons that she is a child advocate.
How can you say that Oprah subscribes to child exploitation and beastiality ?!!! That's such an ignorant thing to say.
Just because she "showcases" some shadowy stuff doesn't mean she supports it or "subscribes" to it. C'mon.
In the 80's, for example, she was instrumental in raising awareness about incest/child sexual abuse. And alot of that sh _ _ goes on in so-called good Christian homes!!!
If you think it's helpful to keep the shadowy aspects of human nature in the shadows you're mistaken. Don't blame the messenger.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:56 AM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyskye View Post
Oprah is a Christian as much as you are.
And she is the last woman on earth that would advocate child abuse!
She was molested and raped as a young person and it's one of the reasons that she is a child advocate.
How can you say that Oprah subscribes to child exploitation and beastiality ?!!! That's such an ignorant thing to say.
Just because she "showcases" some shadowy stuff doesn't mean she supports it or "subscribes" to it. C'mon.
In the 80's, for example, she was instrumental in raising awareness about incest/child sexual abuse. And alot of that sh _ _ goes on in so-called good Christian homes!!!
If you think it's helpful to keep the shadowy aspects of human nature in the shadows you're mistaken. Don't blame the messenger.
I really didn't accuse Oprah of saying anything about beastiality; I was making a generalization. Please don't twist what I'm saying. Also, regarding her christian faith, she has clearly stated in the past that her view of God is NOT what is said in the bible, although she claims to be a christian. It's not Christ plus new age. If she's a christian, she'd have no problem saying that Christ is the only way to God.

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,966,530 times
Oprah and Friends are broadcasting in a daily satellite radio series the book "A Course In Miracles" which started 1/1/08 and runs the entire year with 365 lessons. The "Course" was written by Helen Schucman, a medical psych professor at Columbia in the mid to late 60's, but it wasn't published until the 70's. She claims "Jesus" came to her and told her to write this book because He knew the end times would be very hard for people and He wanted to make it easier for them to believe.

The "Course" talks all around Christ's principles, such as love, mercy, peace, but dispels the sacrifice of Christ and repentence of sin required to be a follower of Christ. It is touted to be a self-study program of spiritual psychotherapy. There is no need to seek forgiveness for sins because "there is no sin," the "slain Christ has no meaning," there is no evil, no Satan, and claims that "salvation comes from me." "I am the light of the world," rather than Jesus being the light of the world. Very New Age.

I have really seen Oprah do some great things. I am greatly concerned about this though.

Last edited by carolac; 04-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: left out a word

Old 04-04-2008, 11:01 AM

12 posts, read 26,266 times
Default Oprah's church exposed

Quote:
Is anyone else outraged with the stuff that Oprah Winfrey is advocating? I don't watch her, since I'm a guy, but this woman has lost it!
What is her deal with having a woman on her show, who claims to be a "guy" and then says that her pregnancy is a miracle.
I hope other people see that there is a problem here.
if you think that was bad, check this out.

YouTube - The Church of Oprah Exposed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism