Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2019, 07:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times

Advertisements

Where are the pagans today...we need answers!
Are Wiccans and Pagans the same?

Oh, looked it up:A person who identifies as Pagan might be a Druid, a Wiccan, a Heathen,
an eclectic witch with no particular cultural leanings whatsoever...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2019, 08:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry420 View Post
Are pagans and hindus same or somewhere related to each other ?
I am quite used to hearing Christians refer to all non-Christians, except Jews, as pagans.

Early in the Christian era the term referred to country people, rustics, "hicks", but these were also people who often held on to some or all the culture's pre-Christian beliefs. I presume that eventually the term was just extended to people totally outside the Christian West.

Old 08-02-2019, 11:18 AM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
Regarding duality, Shaktism is a Hindu religion that is centered around the eternal Goddess rather than a male God. I'm not sure how much a role there is outside of the feminine in that particular tradition.

I'm new here but I'd be interested in learning more about the different Goddesses and Hindu practices. I am drawn to the Hindu-Buddhist Goddess Tara as an expression of the Divine Feminine.

There is no separate religion as shaktiism, Shakti is worshiped as a mother goddess all over India, but more specifically in the South and and Eastern regions. Shakti means energy and there are many mythological stories around the birth of Shakti and her descriptions. She is also venerated in several forms. She is the consort of the God Shiva and in one of the forms they both are worshiped she forms his right half - the male and female energy in union. She is the energy that animates the universe.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:08 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
There is no separate religion as shaktiism, Shakti is worshiped as a mother goddess all over India, but more specifically in the South and and Eastern regions. Shakti means energy and there are many mythological stories around the birth of Shakti and her descriptions. She is also venerated in several forms. She is the consort of the God Shiva and in one of the forms they both are worshiped she forms his right half - the male and female energy in union. She is the energy that animates the universe.

I'm glad there is this forum because coming from the West and not being Hindu it can get a bit confusing. Would it be correct to say Shaktism is a sect? Britannica.com has it as a sect and one of the three major forms of modern Hinduism. Wikipedia calls it a denomination or tradition that focuses on the Divine Mother. I take this to mean it is a branch or tradition of the religion. Yes? Similar to saying someone is Lutheran or Catholic.

Old 08-02-2019, 04:29 PM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
I don't know much about Hinduism, either. I know people I worked with would have pictures of Ganesha in their cubicles. Ganesha helps overcome obstacles, but he also provides the obstacles to begin with. I thought that was interesting.

At Christmastime, one woman who had young kids would decorate her cubicle and have a Santa Claus standing there next to her Ganesha. That was one of the best parts of working in a multicultural environment--when worlds collide.

Old 08-02-2019, 06:38 PM

15,964 posts, read 7,024,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
I'm glad there is this forum because coming from the West and not being Hindu it can get a bit confusing. Would it be correct to say Shaktism is a sect? Britannica.com has it as a sect and one of the three major forms of modern Hinduism. Wikipedia calls it a denomination or tradition that focuses on the Divine Mother. I take this to mean it is a branch or tradition of the religion. Yes? Similar to saying someone is Lutheran or Catholic.
This is a problem of framing Hinduism in the model of Christianity. As a Hindu I don't really think in terms of sects, denominations, or even modern. The only division to speak of is between Advaita and Dvaita view of the Atma and Pramatma relationship. In Advaita is there is no two- the being and the divine. They both are of the same material, like water in rivers, rain, and the ocean. Same substance but different form. Dvaita also views it the same way but insists they will always be seperate, never become one. This view is held among the Vaishnavites, who only worship the divine in the form of Vishnu and his avatars. The Advaita worship Shiva, his consort Shakti and also Vishnu - because they are all of the same substance. Many homes will even have Buddha in the altar. Many Hindus will worship at this one Church for Mary. They will worship at Sikh gurudwara. Because divinity is divinity and it is everywhere.

You may have to approach Hinduism on its own terms . It is not like Christianity.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:39 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,528 times
Quote:
This is a problem of framing Hinduism in the model of Christianity. As a Hindu I don't really think in terms of sects, denominations, or even modern. The only division to speak of is between Advaita and Dvaita view of the Atma and Pramatma relationship. In Advaita is there is no two- the being and the divine. They both are of the same material, like water in rivers, rain, and the ocean. Same substance but different form. Dvaita also views it the same way but insists they will always be seperate, never become one. This view is held among the Vaishnavites, who only worship the divine in the form of Vishnu and his avatars. The Advaita worship Shiva, his consort Shakti and also Vishnu - because they are all of the same substance. Many homes will even have Buddha in the altar. Many Hindus will worship at this one Church for Mary. They will worship at Sikh gurudwara. Because divinity is divinity and it is everywhere.

You may have to approach Hinduism on its own terms . It is not like Christianity.

Thank you. I apologize for mentioning anything about Christianity when trying to understand the different types of it. Was trying to understand structure and what is found in Shaktism.

Because you mentioned it, I had heard that also about Mary - and that she is sometimes placed on personal altars along with other Hindu Gods/Goddesses. I am only aware of that though because I'm interested in the Sacred Feminine in all her forms.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:25 AM

88,578 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:

Thank you for posting this information. We don't get many Hindu posters, and some of us are very interested in learning about other spiritual paths.

I found that the last sentence especially resonates.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:53 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,639,050 times
You know, the absence of a sub-forum, the kind of laid back, let the others discuss it attitude is refreshing. There seems to be little proselytizing in the Hindu religion relative to many others. It makes sense if what others have said here is accurate, that Hindus see god in everything, that they would be much more tolerant of others worshipping whoever and whatever they want. We need more of that tolerance.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:34 PM

950 posts, read 692,241 times
In another separate thread, Mighty Queen mentioned the Hari Krishnas are making Reappearances in NYC. So I wonder if they are making a come-back in other places as well. Hopefully those of you who have seen them can tell about it here. The last time I saw them in my area was way back in the 1970s. Since then, none were seen.
Here in the 1970s they made their presence felt not only by their appearances on the street but also in a weekly television program. The Guru who was actually a Caucasian gave half-hour lectures on the Bhagavad Gita. So if any of you have Hari Krishnas in your area, I would be interested in your experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism